[News] [Rival] Microsoft Makes War, Not Markets - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Microsoft Makes War, Not Markets - Linux ; Make Markets Not War ,----[ Quote ] | Open source is the biggest shift in the market this decade and market shifts | are what the old guard hate. It destabilizes their ability to set high prices | at will. ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Microsoft Makes War, Not Markets

    Make Markets Not War

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Open source is the biggest shift in the market this decade and market shifts
    | are what the old guard hate. It destabilizes their ability to set high prices
    | at will. Tim O'Reilly recently remarked:
    |
    | Does Microsoft's claim that free and open source software infringes on 235
    | Microsoft patents remind anyone of Joseph McCarthy's famous claim about
    | communists at the State Department? Whether or not it's true, citing such a
    | number without providing any detail is such a classic FUD move that, to me at
    | least, it just makes Microsoft look ridiculous. More recently, it's
    | reminiscent of the bluster of the SCO case against IBM.
    |
    | As they say you can't be half pregnant and you can't be half open source and
    | half proprietary either. Open source companies partnering with Microsoft are
    | siding with a company trying to kill open source - the reason they're in
    | business. The open source community recognizes this and these firms risk
    | becoming outcasts. In a separate article and blog - "The Open Source
    | Barometer" - I wrote about the impact of partnering with Microsoft and posed
    | the question, "Is partnering with Microsoft good business for an open source
    | company?"
    `----

    http://opensource.sys-con.com/read/460529_p.htm

    Related:

    German Linux Trade Group to MS: Be Specific About Patents - It's the Law

    ,----[ Translation ]
    | "Ballmer's assertion must be viewed as the typical Microsoft approach
    | to alienate the market by spreading rumors or threats", said the
    | official representative of the Linux related companies in Germany
    | in a statement made in Berlin on November 27th 2006. "This is
    | obviously part of a PR campaign related to the market launch of
    | Windows Vista....If Microsoft cannot show evidence to support
    | their claims, then they are outside the boundaries of German
    | competition regulations. We call upon Microsoft to either prove
    | their case, or to refrain from making such unfounded statements.
    | Furthermore, we call upon European Politicians to protect open
    | competition in Europe. In particular, small and mid sized companies,
    | which form the majority of European Linux service providers, need to
    | be protected from tedious legal disputes resulting from pretended
    | assertions of Microsoft."
    `----

    http://www.linux-verband.de/Home-New...tml?&tx_ttnews[backPid]=19&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=363

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Makes War, Not Markets

    On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 23:10:27 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > German Linux Trade Group to MS: Be Specific About Patents - It's the Law
    >
    > ,----[ Translation ]
    > | "Ballmer's assertion must be viewed as the typical Microsoft approach
    > | to alienate the market by spreading rumors or threats", said the |
    > official representative of the Linux related companies in Germany | in a
    > statement made in Berlin on November 27th 2006. "This is | obviously
    > part of a PR campaign related to the market launch of | Windows
    > Vista....If Microsoft cannot show evidence to support | their claims,
    > then they are outside the boundaries of German | competition
    > regulations. We call upon Microsoft to either prove | their case, or to
    > refrain from making such unfounded statements. | Furthermore, we call
    > upon European Politicians to protect open | competition in Europe. In
    > particular, small and mid sized companies, | which form the majority of
    > European Linux service providers, need to | be protected from tedious
    > legal disputes resulting from pretended | assertions of Microsoft."
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linux-verband.de/Home-New...le-Ansicht.305

    +M5b33a2bc073.0.html?&tx_ttnews[backPid]=19&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=363

    If only the US had similar laws...

    I'm not a lawyer, but that kind of claim seems to come awfully close to
    libel. In such circumstances, there should be the option to issue a
    challenge. On the flip side, Oprah got in legal hotwater with the beef
    lobby over god knows what.

    -Thufir

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Makes War, Not Markets

    Thufir wrote:
    > On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 23:10:27 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> German Linux Trade Group to MS: Be Specific About Patents - It's the Law
    >>
    >> ,----[ Translation ]
    >> | "Ballmer's assertion must be viewed as the typical Microsoft approach
    >> | to alienate the market by spreading rumors or threats", said the |
    >> official representative of the Linux related companies in Germany | in a
    >> statement made in Berlin on November 27th 2006. "This is | obviously
    >> part of a PR campaign related to the market launch of | Windows
    >> Vista....If Microsoft cannot show evidence to support | their claims,
    >> then they are outside the boundaries of German | competition
    >> regulations. We call upon Microsoft to either prove | their case, or to
    >> refrain from making such unfounded statements. | Furthermore, we call
    >> upon European Politicians to protect open | competition in Europe. In
    >> particular, small and mid sized companies, | which form the majority of
    >> European Linux service providers, need to | be protected from tedious
    >> legal disputes resulting from pretended | assertions of Microsoft."
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.linux-verband.de/Home-New...le-Ansicht.305

    > +M5b33a2bc073.0.html?&tx_ttnews[backPid]=19&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=363
    >

    > If only the US had similar laws...
    >
    > I'm not a lawyer, but that kind of claim seems to come awfully close to
    > libel. In such circumstances, there should be the option to issue a
    > challenge. On the flip side, Oprah got in legal hotwater with the beef
    > lobby over god knows what.
    >

    > -Thufir

    Sadly a side effect of most legal systems is that the "Rich" will win
    simply because even if their case is a load of absolute crap it forces
    the other side to spend as much on lawyers.

    You can't "Fight" something like Microsoft / Texaco / etc you rely on
    them assessing your ability to fund a legal battle and offering you a
    deal in a lot of cases.

+ Reply to Thread