DriveImage my Linux... - Linux

This is a discussion on DriveImage my Linux... - Linux ; Hello All, I want to make a RESTORE IMAGE of my linux system, How can I do this? I used Drive Image for my Windows/DOS systems. Any programs like that for Linux? DriveImage WILL NOT work, Tried it.. Won't find ...

  1. DriveImage my Linux...

    Hello All,
    I want to make a RESTORE IMAGE of my linux system, How can I do this?
    I used Drive Image for my Windows/DOS systems. Any programs like that
    for Linux? DriveImage WILL NOT work, Tried it.. Won't find any of
    the LINUX partitions....

    TIA...

  2. Re: DriveImage my Linux...

    DigitalGod wrote:
    > Hello All,
    > I want to make a RESTORE IMAGE of my linux system, How can I do this?
    > I used Drive Image for my Windows/DOS systems. Any programs like that
    > for Linux? DriveImage WILL NOT work, Tried it.. Won't find any of
    > the LINUX partitions....
    >
    > TIA...

    dd is a good place to start.

    From a console do a 'dd if=/dev/' and wait.
    To restore it: 'dd if= of=/dev/'.

    But you can also just make a tar archive (note the archive part, you
    have to pass parameters to make it a true archive, with stored
    permissions and ownerships). The best way to do this is from a live CD
    or something, this because of the hassle of some pseudo-filesystems like
    udev, proc and sys.

    -R-

  3. Re: DriveImage my Linux...

    DigitalGod wrote:
    > Hello All,
    > I want to make a RESTORE IMAGE of my linux system, How can I do this?

    clonezilla
    g4u

    There are others. Those should get you started.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  4. Re: DriveImage my Linux...

    On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 16:31:05 -0500, DigitalGod wrote:

    > I want to make a RESTORE IMAGE of my linux system, How can I do this?
    > [...]

    Hello.

    I always recommend Partimage (http://www.partimage.org/) - because it
    only copies *used* blocks of your partition. So the images are smaller
    than one-to-one images made by dd. And it can save and restore
    automatically to/from compressed images (gzip or bzip2).

    Regards,
    --
    Krzysztof Lubanski

  5. Re: DriveImage my Linux...

    On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 09:47:17 +0000, Krzysztof Lubanski wrote:

    > On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 16:31:05 -0500, DigitalGod wrote:
    >
    >> I want to make a RESTORE IMAGE of my linux system, How can I do this?
    >> [...]

    > Hello.
    >
    > I always recommend Partimage (http://www.partimage.org/) - because it
    > only copies *used* blocks of your partition. So the images are smaller
    > than one-to-one images made by dd. And it can save and restore
    > automatically to/from compressed images (gzip or bzip2).
    >
    > Regards,

    If you don't mind spending around $30, bootitng from
    www.terabyteunlimited.com is hard to beat. I've had it for years. It does
    all partitioning, multi-os support and imaging. Can have as many
    partitions as I want etc. Does windows and linux equally well, in fact
    their site gives better info on installing linux for first time user than
    other sources.
    Dave Cohen

  6. Re: DriveImage my Linux...

    On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 08:14:05 +0000, johnny bobby bee wrote:

    > DigitalGod wrote:
    >> Hello All,
    >> I want to make a RESTORE IMAGE of my linux system, How can I do this?

    > clonezilla
    > g4u
    >
    > There are others. Those should get you started.

    I agree clonezilla is probably one of the better ones to use. I use it to
    backup my computers as it will do it over the net to a central HD.

    --
    If its not broke must be linux

  7. Re: DriveImage my Linux...

    Martin wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 08:14:05 +0000, johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >
    >> DigitalGod wrote:
    >>> Hello All,
    >>> I want to make a RESTORE IMAGE of my linux system, How can I do this?

    >> clonezilla
    >> g4u
    >>
    >> There are others. Those should get you started.

    > I agree clonezilla is probably one of the better ones to use. I use it to
    > backup my computers as it will do it over the net to a central HD.

    partimage works well also. Clones the entire partition. Also does ntfs.

    John

+ Reply to Thread