Up2date, YUM, and Aptget - Linux

This is a discussion on Up2date, YUM, and Aptget - Linux ; Is there any issues I need to be aware of in using APT-GET on RedHat/Fedora based systems- basically is it okay to rely on as main update /install mechanism for other applications? I would prefer to use APT-GET rather than ...

  1. Up2date, YUM, and Aptget

    Is there any issues I need to be aware of in using APT-GET on RedHat/Fedora
    based systems- basically is it okay to rely on as main update /install
    mechanism for other applications? I would prefer to use APT-GET rather than
    YUM (although good) or Up2Date.

    I am not asking for a political or your favorite answer, but for your
    technical recommendation - basically that there are no issues in relying
    with just apt-get.

    Thanks for your feedback.

  2. Re: Up2date, YUM, and Aptget

    i used apt-get and synaptic on a Core2 box for a while and experience
    little in the way of problems. i did have to check up on it from tim
    to time but it dealt with deps well and kept a workable log of it
    changes.

    ...good luck!
    ~

    -
    kr0m3 - supervillia

    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will kno
    peace.
    Jimi Hendrix (1942-1970)

    kr0m3's Profile: http:/linuxcult.com/forum/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=136
    View this thread: http://linuxcult.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=904

  3. Re: Up2date, YUM, and Aptget

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 03:08:10 +0000, Mike Allen wrote:

    > Is there any issues I need to be aware of in using APT-GET on
    > RedHat/Fedora based systems- basically is it okay to rely on as main
    > update /install mechanism for other applications? I would prefer to use
    > APT-GET rather than YUM (although good) or Up2Date.
    >
    > I am not asking for a political or your favorite answer, but for your
    > technical recommendation - basically that there are no issues in relying
    > with just apt-get.
    >
    > Thanks for your feedback.

    I run Fedora Core 3 on several systems. I have had no problems having
    up2date, yum and apt-get installed on each machines at the same time.

    I'm more of a yum fan myself. However I have found it very useful to
    have/use apt-get or up2date instead of yum to address or fix various
    package issues.

    On my systems I even created alias (aptly named 'update') which runs the
    following commands:

    yum -y update;
    yum -y upgrade;
    up2date -u;
    apt-get update;
    apt-get -y upgrade;

    I did this because yum, up2date and apt-get point to different
    repositories, which the others aren't configured for.

    So I simply run my 'update' command, and the system checks & updates from
    all of these package managers. Works like a charm; even when setup via the
    crontab.

    Hope this helps...

+ Reply to Thread