[News] Open Source Pharmaceuticals, Inspired by Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Open Source Pharmaceuticals, Inspired by Linux - Linux ; Open Source Pharmaceuticals - New Business Model ,----[ Quote ] | Software is not the only field affected by open source; many fields of study | and social and political views have been affected by the growth of the | ...

  1. [News] Open Source Pharmaceuticals, Inspired by Linux

    Open Source Pharmaceuticals - New Business Model

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Software is not the only field affected by open source; many fields of study
    | and social and political views have been affected by the growth of the
    | concept of open source. Advocates in one field will often support the
    | expansion of open source in other fields, including Linus Torvalds who is
    | quoted as saying, "the future is open source everything."
    `----

    http://www.farmavita.net/content/view/336/

    Recent:

    Open source synthetic biology

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Not everyone within synthetic biology takes the open-source approach, Andrew
    | Hessel, an iGEM consultant who recruits teams from Canadian universities,
    | told me, but the driving force behind it is iGEM and MIT (Rettberg works with
    | renowned hacker-turned-synthetic biologist Tom Knight). Hessel likened the
    | atmosphere to the time when computers were first becoming cheap enough to be
    | affordable by anyone who wanted one, and young, bright kids began to play
    | around with code. * * *
    `----

    http://www.the-scientist.com/blog/display/53822/

    Related:

    Biology Goes Open Source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Some of the world's biggest drug companies are finding that
    | their genetic research is worth more to them if they give it away.
    `----

    http://www.forbes.com/business/2007/...ml?partner=rss
    http://tinyurl.com/2vqssl

    Pharmac publishes directly with open source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The team used Python, libxml/libxslt and TeX, running on Debian GNU/Linux,
    | and the open document standards TeX, XML, MathML, XHTML, and Xlink, says
    | Geering. *
    `----

    http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...2573630083A579

    Red Hat scores Swedish pharmacy contract

    | Apoteket, the pharmacy network, will convert to Red Hat Enterprise Linux
    | running on Intel hardware, Red Hat said. Financial terms of the deal were not
    | disclosed.
    `----

    http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/070918/1522057.html?.v=1

    Open Source Research -- the Power of Us

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Open source methods have delivered tangible benefits in the computer
    | science community. We describe here efforts to extend these principles
    | to science generally, and in particular biomedical research. Open
    | source research holds great promise for solving complex problems in
    | areas where profit-driven research is seen to have failed. We
    | illustrate this with a specific problem in organic chemistry that
    | we think will be solved substantially faster with an open
    | source approach.
    `----

    http://www.publish.csiro.au/view/jou...d=51&f=CH06095

    Our Biotech Future [is Open Source]

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Open Source biology could be a powerful tool, giving us access to
    | cheap and abundant solar energy.
    `----

    http://www.nybooks.com/articles/20370

    Open-Source Drug Safety?

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    http://www.forbes.com/home/sciencesa...h_0522fda.html

    Open Source Pharmaceuticals - New Business Model

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Open source" as applied to culture defines a culture in which
    | intellectual property is made generally available. Participants
    | in such a culture are able to improve and modify those products
    | and redistribute them back into the community.
    `----

    http://www.farmavita.net/content/view/336/51/

    Thailand fed up with high drug prices - minister

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "We have thought about this for more than five years. It's long enough,"
    | said Mongkol na Songkhla, who is leading one of the biggest challenges to
    | Big Pharma's patent rights in years.
    `----

    http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...c=worldupdates

  2. Re: [News] Open Source Pharmaceuticals, Inspired by Linux

    ____/ [H]omer on Sunday 18 November 2007 09:35 : \____

    >> Open Source Pharmaceuticals - New Business Model

    > Good grief! What next, open source oil production?

    Only a couple of days ago:

    Linux helps to squeeze the last drop out of oilfields

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...ews.opensource

    > The drive to adopt the "open" paradigm is spreading, and naturally it
    > spreads to the most corrupted industries first, where the need is greatest.

    Most corrupted industries first? I suppose you are right.

    Top secret: Microsoft's $6 billion open source play

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This month's announcement by Microsoft to acquire digital marketing
    | services firm aQuantive has revealed little on how the companies
    | will integrate their IT, but inside information indicates the deal
    | may be Redmond's largest commitment to free software.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Whether the businesses are complementary or not, Microsoft's integration
    | work will no doubt involve a lot of open source software used by aQuantive.
    |
    | Information available from Atlas' Web site indicates the Internet software
    | company employs extensive use of open source software including Linux,
    | Apache, MySQL, and Solaris.
    |
    | Software engineers at Atlas' Raleigh office do client/server development in
    | C and C++, software maintenance and "scripting", and developing and
    | maintaining custom reporting capabilities.
    `----

    http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.p...31;fp;2;fpid;1

    It's unofficial: Microsoft bets business on Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | What the press statement didn't mention is that Aruba mobility
    | controllers run the Linux operating system which Microsoft has
    | aggressively targeted as being inferior to Windows as part of
    | its "Get the Facts" marketing campaign.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Pandey's appraisal of Aruba's technology is in stark contrast to
    | Microsoft's "Get the Facts" rhetoric which places Windows as a more secure,
    | and higher-performing choice over Linux.
    `----

    http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.p...96;fp;2;fpid;1

    Breaking: Newsvine Acquired By Microsoft — What is Microsoft going to do with
    the Linux Hosted site they just bought?

    `----

    http://www.tribbleagency.com/?p=383

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    For governments that eavesdrop, here is a quick list of tags: Communism,
    Hawaiian shirts, China, Suitcase, Martha Stewart, Encryption, Prison, Stalin.
    Thanks for tuning in.
    13:20:01 up 18 days, 17:18, 4 users, load average: 0.93, 1.52, 1.18