Microsoft is rejected on patents case

,----[ Quote ]
| An appeals court on Friday rejected Microsoft Corp.'s challenge to a $142
| million trial loss over patents on a way to prevent software piracy.
|
| "Substantial evidence supports the jury's verdict" that Microsoft infringed
| two valid patents owned by closely held z4 Technologies Inc., the appeals
| court in Washington, D.C., ruled.
|
| [...]
|
| "There's something about it that strikes us as, 'How'd that happen?' " said
| Andrew Culbert, chief Microsoft patent counsel. He said Microsoft probably
| will ask the court to reconsider.
`----

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...sftsuit17.html

Bill Hilf’s interview with InformationWeek explained

,----[ Quote ]
| Page 3 is the best part of the interview. Mr. Hilf talks about having a "map"
| (which wasn’t correct, as Information Week pointed out); he then adds:
|
| Classically, our preferred plan is to license our technology in a very
| proactive and productive way versus litigate.
|
| Which doesn’t answer the questions: what, are, these, patents?
|
| Mr. Hilf, please tell us. We all want to know. Please.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...week_explained

Related:

Microsoft director out to 'debunk mythology around open source'

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.bangkokpost.com/090507_Da...007_data05.php

,----[ Quote ]
| "We would like to strike similar patent deals with all the Linux
| vendors, but we had to start somewhere," said Bill Hilf.
`----
* * * *
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759...119TX1K0000594

What Will Change at Microsoft with Regard to F/OSS Patents

,----[ Quote ]
| Hilf’s response was... priceless. “I get a lot of e-mail.” “People like to
| subscribe me to crazy newsletters and spam.”
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog...microsoft.html

Sun exec accuses Microsoft of 'patent terrorism'

,----[ Quote ]
| The efforts of Microsoft to pressure the Linux community over alleged and
| unspecified patents is akin to "patent terrorism", according to a local
| executive for Sun Microsystems. *
`----

Microsoft, the art of Corporate Terrorism.

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, no longer the technological leader in the Computer Desktop
| market, is taking on a terrorist role in its attempt remain in power
| at all costs. (see the link to the CNN story below)
|
| The tactic is intended to frighten current, and would be, free
| software users away from products that Microsoft just can't compete
| with. It's not a new tactic, but for the first time desperation is
| beginning to show.
`----

http://sweetcomputing.com/index.php?...soft_Terrorism

Convicted Monopolist Terrorizes Software Industry

,----[ Quote ]
| That headline is designed to grab your attention. Sensationalistic as
| it may be, it also happens to be true, if what you mean by 'terrorize'
| is to provoke fear.
|
| If you've been following the presidential race in the United States,
| you know the present crop of candidates have been exploiting the fear
| of the American people as they never have before in the history of
| the country.
`----

http://www.linux.org/news/opinion/ms_threats.html

Who is the world's biggest patent troll?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9...=2547-1_3-0-20