Dual Monitors with Radeon 2400 - Linux

This is a discussion on Dual Monitors with Radeon 2400 - Linux ; Has anyone gotten dual monitors to work on Mandriva 2008? I have an ATI Radeon HD 2400 that I am trying to get to work. I am willing to go to another version of Linux to get dual monitors....

  1. Dual Monitors with Radeon 2400

    Has anyone gotten dual monitors to work on Mandriva 2008? I have an ATI
    Radeon HD 2400 that I am trying to get to work. I am willing to go to
    another version of Linux to get dual monitors.

  2. Re: Dual Monitors with Radeon 2400

    On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 09:33:22 -0500, George wrote:

    >Has anyone gotten dual monitors to work on Mandriva 2008? I have an ATI
    >Radeon HD 2400 that I am trying to get to work. I am willing to go to
    >another version of Linux to get dual monitors.

    All versions of linux use xorg (or the same s/w under the old xfree86
    name). The question is of drivers and video card makers, not of
    selecting a different distro.

    Go to ATI's website, download the linux drivers, and READ THE ****ING
    INSTRUCTIONS.

  3. Re: Dual Monitors with Radeon 2400

    George wrote:
    > Has anyone gotten dual monitors to work on Mandriva 2008? I have an ATI
    > Radeon HD 2400 that I am trying to get to work. I am willing to go to
    > another version of Linux to get dual monitors.

    Saw the capability under Fedora 2 and Ubuntu/Kubuntu. I haven't
    actually done it.

    Later
    Mike

  4. Re: Dual Monitors with Radeon 2400

    I have read the instructions and to the best of my ability, I have them
    installed. I don't know how to activate it them. I am in the GNOME
    environment.

    https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...42.3-inst.html

    1. I was not sure if I installed all of the packages.

    2. I deleted the proprietary drivers following the instructions

    3. I used the automatic driver installation option.

    4. I rebooted.

    I still see the ATI proprietary driver as being installed and nowhere do I
    see instructions on using the second monitor.

    I am sorry that I am not as Linux savvy as everyone else in the world. I
    would appreciate any help that I get or at least get pointed in a direction
    of more detailed instructions.

    Thanks

    "AZ Nomad" wrote in message
    > On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 09:33:22 -0500, George wrote:
    >

    >>Has anyone gotten dual monitors to work on Mandriva 2008? I have an ATI
    >>Radeon HD 2400 that I am trying to get to work. I am willing to go to
    >>another version of Linux to get dual monitors.

    > All versions of linux use xorg (or the same s/w under the old xfree86
    > name). The question is of drivers and video card makers, not of
    > selecting a different distro.
    >
    > Go to ATI's website, download the linux drivers, and READ THE ****ING
    > INSTRUCTIONS.

  5. Re: Dual Monitors with Radeon 2400

    On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 15:17:28 -0500, George wrote:

    >I have read the instructions and to the best of my ability, I have them
    >installed. I don't know how to activate it them. I am in the GNOME
    >environment.

    >https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...42.3-inst.html

    >1. I was not sure if I installed all of the packages.

    >2. I deleted the proprietary drivers following the instructions

    >3. I used the automatic driver installation option.

    >4. I rebooted.

    >I still see the ATI proprietary driver as being installed and nowhere do I
    >see instructions on using the second monitor.

    >I am sorry that I am not as Linux savvy as everyone else in the world. I
    >would appreciate any help that I get or at least get pointed in a direction
    >of more detailed instructions.

    >Thanks

    Please quit top posting. .backwards everything read to not prefer people Most

    What do you get when you do Step 8:
    After installing the generated distribution package, launch the Terminal
    Application/Window and run aticonfig --initial to configure the driver.

    What they mean by "terminal application/window" is to open a "terminal"
    such as gnome-terminal, konsole, or an xterm, and type the command
    aticonfig...

  6. Re: Dual Monitors with Radeon 2400

    "AZ Nomad" wrote in message
    > On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 15:17:28 -0500, George wrote:
    >

    >>I have read the instructions and to the best of my ability, I have them
    >>installed. I don't know how to activate it them. I am in the GNOME
    >>environment.

    >>https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...42.3-inst.html

    >>1. I was not sure if I installed all of the packages.

    >>2. I deleted the proprietary drivers following the instructions

    >>3. I used the automatic driver installation option.

    >>4. I rebooted.

    >>I still see the ATI proprietary driver as being installed and nowhere do I
    >>see instructions on using the second monitor.

    >>I am sorry that I am not as Linux savvy as everyone else in the world. I
    >>would appreciate any help that I get or at least get pointed in a
    >>direction
    >>of more detailed instructions.

    >>Thanks

    > Please quit top posting. .backwards everything read to not prefer people
    > Most
    >

    > What do you get when you do Step 8:
    > After installing the generated distribution package, launch the Terminal
    > Application/Window and run aticonfig --initial to configure the driver.
    >
    > What they mean by "terminal application/window" is to open a "terminal"
    > such as gnome-terminal, konsole, or an xterm, and type the command
    > aticonfig...

    I have completed all of these steps. However, I do not see anywhere for me
    to configure the second screen. Both monitors show the same information as
    before.

  7. Re: Dual Monitors with Radeon 2400

    On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 16:25:25 -0500, George wrote:

    >"AZ Nomad" wrote in message

    >> What do you get when you do Step 8:
    >> After installing the generated distribution package, launch the Terminal
    >> Application/Window and run aticonfig --initial to configure the driver.
    >>

    >I have completed all of these steps. However, I do not see anywhere for me
    >to configure the second screen. Both monitors show the same information as
    >before.

    does aticonfig have other options? Try 'aticonfig --help' or 'aticonfig -h'

  8. Re: Dual Monitors with Radeon 2400

    On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 16:25:25 -0500, George wrote:

    > I have completed all of these steps. However, I do not see anywhere for
    > me to configure the second screen. Both monitors show the same
    > information as before.

    Sounds like you haven't edited your xorg.conf file from Clone to LeftOf
    and your crossposting. Are you watching all three groups for responses?

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

  9. Re: Dual Monitors with Radeon 2400

    "JTJersey" wrote in message
    > On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 16:25:25 -0500, George wrote:
    >

    >> I have completed all of these steps. However, I do not see anywhere for
    >> me to configure the second screen. Both monitors show the same
    >> information as before.

    > Sounds like you haven't edited your xorg.conf file from Clone to LeftOf
    > and your crossposting. Are you watching all three groups for responses?
    >
    > --
    > Registered Linux User #267152

    Thanks for the help. I did end up using aticonfig to get the dual monitors
    working. Now my mouse pointer is messed up. On one monitor, it is a big
    block, on the other it looks like a 12-legged centipede.

    I will keep looking for solutions.

+ Reply to Thread