No space left on device - Linux

This is a discussion on No space left on device - Linux ; I have a Mepis/Debian Linux with kernel 2.6.4, which started recently to complain about "no space left on device". However, "df" says that here is plenty of space. "du -sx /" confirms the disk usage reported by "df", and fdisk ...

  1. No space left on device

    I have a Mepis/Debian Linux with kernel 2.6.4, which started recently
    to complain about "no space left on device". However, "df"
    says that here is plenty of space. "du -sx /" confirms the disk usage
    reported by "df", and fdisk gives about the same total partition size
    (9373927+ blocks).
    The filesystem is ReiserFS 3.6. The logs are truncated but the last
    few entries are just programs screaming for disk space.

    Is there some limitation of ReiserFS that I should know about ? Anyone
    has an idea about what's wrong ?

    Mihai

    mike@63[~]$ uname -a
    Linux mepis 2.6.4 #1 Tue Apr 20 11:51:51 EDT 2004 i686 GNU/Linux

    mike@63[~]$ dd bs=1M count=100 if=/dev/zero of=./a
    dd: writing `./a': No space left on device
    66+0 records in
    65+0 records out
    68550656 bytes transferred in 0.621173 seconds (110356780 bytes/sec)

    mike@63[~]$ pwd
    /home/mike

    mike@63[~]$ df
    /dev/hda3 9373632 7635268 1738364 82% /
    tmpfs 128160 0 128160
    0% /dev/shm
    /dev/hda1 54416 8264 43343 17% /boot
    /dev/hdb5 156242112 155252704 989408 100% /mnt/hdb5

    mike@63[~]$ df -i
    Filesystem Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on
    /dev/hda3 0 0 0 - /
    tmpfs 32040 2 32038 1% /dev/shm
    /dev/hda1 14056 40 14016 1% /boot
    /dev/hdb5 0 0 0 -
    /mnt/hdb5

    mike@63[~]$ mount
    /dev/hda3 on / type reiserfs (rw,noatime,notail)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw)
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0622,gid=5,mode=620)
    tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
    usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
    /dev/hda1 on /boot type ext3 (ro)
    /dev/hdb5 on /mnt/hdb5 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,umask=000)
    automount(pid1463) on /mnt/auto type autofs
    (rw,fd=5,pgrp=1463,minproto=2,maxproto=4)

    mike@63[~]$ debugreiserfs /dev/hda3

    <-------------debugreiserfs, 2002------------->
    reiserfsprogs 3.x.1b

    Filesystem state: consistency is not checked after last mounting

    Reiserfs super block in block 16 on 0x303 of format 3.6 with standard
    journal
    Count of blocks on the device: 2343481
    Number of bitmaps: 72
    Blocksize: 4096
    Free blocks (count of blocks - used [journal, bitmaps, data, reserved]
    blocks): 434591
    Root block: 624398
    Filesystem is NOT cleanly umounted
    Tree height: 4
    Hash function used to sort names: "r5"
    Objectid map size 754, max 972
    Journal parameters:
    Device [0x0]
    Magic [0x42c49779]
    Size 8193 blocks (including 1 for journal header) (first block 18)
    Max transaction length 1024 blocks
    Max batch size 900 blocks
    Max commit age 30
    Blocks reserved by journal: 0
    Fs state field: 0x0
    sb_version: 2
    inode generation number: 2192979
    UUID: 396f7f86-2d3a-4ebc-8b29-02b019d0d5f1
    LABEL:
    Set flags in SB:

    mike@63[~]$ rm a
    mike@63[~]$ sudo du -sx /
    Password:
    7538216 /

  2. Re: No space left on device

    Mihai Osian wrote:
    > I have a Mepis/Debian Linux with kernel 2.6.4, which started recently
    > to complain about "no space left on device". However, "df"
    > says that here is plenty of space. "du -sx /" confirms the disk usage
    > reported by "df", and fdisk gives about the same total partition size
    > (9373927+ blocks).
    > The filesystem is ReiserFS 3.6. The logs are truncated but the last
    > few entries are just programs screaming for disk space.

    Did you try to run fsck on the disk? I remember to have had similar
    problems due to inconsisencies, though I don't remember if it was with
    reiser or ext3

    --
    Tobias Brox, Tromsų

  3. Re: No space left on device

    tobias@stud.cs.uit.no wrote:

    >Mihai Osian wrote:
    >

    >> I have a Mepis/Debian Linux with kernel 2.6.4, which started recently
    >>to complain about "no space left on device". However, "df"
    >>says that here is plenty of space. "du -sx /" confirms the disk usage
    >>reported by "df", and fdisk gives about the same total partition size
    >>(9373927+ blocks).
    >> The filesystem is ReiserFS 3.6. The logs are truncated but the last
    >>few entries are just programs screaming for disk space.
    >>

    >Did you try to run fsck on the disk? I remember to have had similar
    >problems due to inconsisencies, though I don't remember if it was with
    >reiser or ext3

    No, I didn't fsck. I don't want to reboot it unless absolutely
    necessary. Someone suggested that there might be a large temporary file,
    which has been deleted but there still is an open file descriptor on it.
    I checked with "lsof +L | grep deleted" but I didn't see anything unusual.
    For the moment I cleaned up some space until I figure it out or
    prepare a backup machine. I just hope I haven't been hacked.

    Mihai

+ Reply to Thread