Re: 2007 The greatest Micoshaft Asstroturfing in Linux history. - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: 2007 The greatest Micoshaft Asstroturfing in Linux history. - Linux ; Micoshaft Asstroturfer HangEveryRepubliKKKan wrote on behalf of big corporation: > I Why is it that Micoshaft Asstroturfers have posted the greatest number of anti-Linux drivel this year and yet this year is seeing massive growth in Linux. A million users ...

  1. Re: 2007 The greatest Micoshaft Asstroturfing in Linux history.

    Micoshaft Asstroturfer HangEveryRepubliKKKan wrote on behalf of big
    corporation:

    Why is it that Micoshaft Asstroturfers have posted the greatest
    number of anti-Linux drivel this year and yet this year is
    seeing massive growth in Linux.
    A million users a month switching to Linux and the rate is increasing.

    http://www.livecdlist.com
    http://www.distrowatch.com

    Wallmart have sold out their Linux PCs in under 10 days
    and now restocking.
    Linux PCs now selling like hot cakes.

  2. Re: 2007 The greatest Micoshaft Asstroturfing in Linux history.

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 23:20:43 UTC, 7
    wrote:

    > Micoshaft Asstroturfer HangEveryRepubliKKKan wrote on behalf of big
    > corporation:

    Oh, God. This 7 idiot gets everywhere.

    Anyway, who wants Linux? This is a BSD group....!
    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..

  3. Re: 2007 The greatest Micoshaft Asstroturfing in Linux history.

    Bob Eager wrote:

    > On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 23:20:43 UTC, 7
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Micoshaft Asstroturfer HangEveryRepubliKKKan wrote on behalf of big
    >> corporation:

    > Oh, God. This 7 idiot gets everywhere.
    >
    > Anyway, who wants Linux? This is a BSD group....!

    Really?
    --
    If you had any brains, you'd be dangerous.

  4. Re: 2007 The greatest Micoshaft Asstroturfing in Linux history.

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 23:33:08 UTC, Peter Köhlmann
    wrote:

    > Bob Eager wrote:
    >
    > > On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 23:20:43 UTC, 7
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> Micoshaft Asstroturfer HangEveryRepubliKKKan wrote on behalf of big
    > >> corporation:

    > > Oh, God. This 7 idiot gets everywhere.
    > >
    > > Anyway, who wants Linux? This is a BSD group....!

    > Really?

    He crossposted it...! Sorry, didn't notice...

    Still, who wants a jumped up UNIX wannabe when you can have BSD?
    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..

  5. Re: 2007 The greatest Micoshaft Asstroturfing in Linux history.

    Bob Eager wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 23:33:08 UTC, Peter Köhlmann
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Bob Eager wrote:

    >> > Oh, God. This 7 idiot gets everywhere.
    >> >
    >> > Anyway, who wants Linux? This is a BSD group....!

    >> Really?

    > He crossposted it...! Sorry, didn't notice...
    >
    > Still, who wants a jumped up UNIX wannabe when you can have BSD?

    Nothing wrong with BSD. Except the license.

  6. Re: 2007 The greatest Micoshaft Asstroturfing in Linux history.

    owl wrote:

    > Bob Eager wrote:
    >> On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 23:33:08 UTC, Peter Köhlmann
    >> wrote:

    >>> Really?

    >> He crossposted it...! Sorry, didn't notice...
    >>
    >> Still, who wants a jumped up UNIX wannabe when you can have BSD?

    > Nothing wrong with BSD. Except the license.

    The BSD license gets less free as time goes by.
    Whats yours is mine, but whats mine is not yours!!!

    Stick to GPL and you can't go wrong.
    What you share is good, and what I share is even better!!!

  7. Re: 2007 The greatest Micoshaft Asstroturfing in Linux history.

    On 2007-11-17, 7 wrote:
    >> Nothing wrong with BSD. Except the license.

    > The BSD license gets less free as time goes by.
    > Whats yours is mine, but whats mine is not yours!!!

    Software released under the BSD license stays free forever.

  8. Re: 2007 The greatest Micoshaft Asstroturfing in Linux history.

    Tim Smith wrote:
    > On 2007-11-17, 7 wrote:
    >>> Nothing wrong with BSD. Except the license.

    >> The BSD license gets less free as time goes by.
    >> Whats yours is mine, but whats mine is not yours!!!

    > Software released under the BSD license stays free forever.

    The BSD license stifles innovation by allowing first-generation
    derivative code to go closed-source.

  9. Re: 2007 The greatest Micoshaft Asstroturfing in Linux history.

    On 2007-11-17, owl wrote:
    >> Software released under the BSD license stays free forever.

    > The BSD license stifles innovation by allowing first-generation
    > derivative code to go closed-source.

    So that's why Apache and X have been such failures?

  10. Re: 2007 The greatest Micoshaft Asstroturfing in Linux history.

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > On 2007-11-17, owl wrote:
    >>> Software released under the BSD license stays free forever.

    >> The BSD license stifles innovation by allowing first-generation
    >> derivative code to go closed-source.

    > So that's why Apache and X have been such failures?

    And... why microsofts tcpip stack is so riddles with bugs and performs so
    poorly.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  11. Re: 2007 The greatest Micoshaft Asstroturfing in Linux history.

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > On 2007-11-17, owl wrote:
    >>> Software released under the BSD license stays free forever.

    >> The BSD license stifles innovation by allowing first-generation
    >> derivative code to go closed-source.

    > So that's why Apache and X have been such failures?

    I assume you are now going to extend your argument to the generic
    case and post appil corp's entire hoard of BSD source code?

  12. Re: 2007 The greatest Micoshaft Asstroturfing in Linux history.

    Tim Smith wrote:
    > On 2007-11-17, owl wrote:
    >>> Software released under the BSD license stays free forever.

    >> The BSD license stifles innovation by allowing first-generation
    >> derivative code to go closed-source.

    > So that's why Apache and X have been such failures?

    Closed-source projects based on Apache and X represent the end of
    the line as far as innovation goes. Some monopoly could purchase
    those companies and kill off the projects. What if you just had
    to have that app, but it was junked because the current owner had
    a crappier competing application that it wanted to force on you?
    Or what if it had bugs that needed fixing and the current owner
    had no desire to fix it?

  13. Re: 2007 The greatest Micoshaft Asstroturfing in Linux history.

    On 2007-11-18, owl wrote:
    > Closed-source projects based on Apache and X represent the end of
    > the line as far as innovation goes. Some monopoly could purchase
    > those companies and kill off the projects. What if you just had
    > to have that app, but it was junked because the current owner had
    > a crappier competing application that it wanted to force on you?
    > Or what if it had bugs that needed fixing and the current owner
    > had no desire to fix it?

    I'd use the version from before the company made their version. For all
    practical purposes, if someone takes a BSD project and makes a closed
    version, you can just treat it exactly as you would if they had instead
    written their closed version from scratch--you ignore it and stay with
    the open version.

  14. Re: 2007 The greatest Micoshaft Asstroturfing in Linux history.

    Tim Smith wrote:
    > On 2007-11-18, owl wrote:
    >> Closed-source projects based on Apache and X represent the end of
    >> the line as far as innovation goes. Some monopoly could purchase
    >> those companies and kill off the projects. What if you just had
    >> to have that app, but it was junked because the current owner had
    >> a crappier competing application that it wanted to force on you?
    >> Or what if it had bugs that needed fixing and the current owner
    >> had no desire to fix it?

    > I'd use the version from before the company made their version. For all
    > practical purposes, if someone takes a BSD project and makes a closed
    > version, you can just treat it exactly as you would if they had instead
    > written their closed version from scratch--you ignore it and stay with
    > the open version.

    And if the original version didn't contain the bits that you need -- because
    those bits were only available in the closed-source version -- you get to
    implement them yourself.

    The GPL lets everyone build on all previous incarnations of the code.
    The BSD license lets everyone reinvent the wheel.

+ Reply to Thread