any good OCR software out there? - Linux

This is a discussion on any good OCR software out there? - Linux ; I'm getting a HP C7280 printer / scanner that comes with OCR software for Winblows - will I need to run this with WINE or does Linux have some good OCR software?...

  1. any good OCR software out there?

    I'm getting a HP C7280 printer / scanner that comes with OCR software for
    Winblows - will I need to run this with WINE or does Linux have some good
    OCR software?

  2. Re: any good OCR software out there?

    Demosthenes wrote:
    > I'm getting a HP C7280 printer / scanner that comes with OCR software for
    > Winblows - will I need to run this with WINE or does Linux have some good
    > OCR software?

    GOCR might be a good place to start. (don't forget the GTK frontend).
    It can interface with xsane.

  3. Re: any good OCR software out there?

    Demosthenes wrote:
    > I'm getting a HP C7280 printer / scanner that comes with OCR software for
    > Winblows - will I need to run this with WINE or does Linux have some good
    > OCR software?

    Ow.. and I heard tesseract should be quite accurate. But don't really
    know too much about it. It's supposedly based on code from HP.

  4. Re: any good OCR software out there?

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 12:22:12 +0100, Jurgen Haan wrote:

    > Ow.. and I heard tesseract should be quite accurate. But don't really
    > know too much about it. It's supposedly based on code from HP.

    Ow?

    Will GOCR is sounding good if it interfaces with XSane! But Tesseract
    may be more accurate?

  5. Re: any good OCR software out there?

    Demosthenes wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 12:22:12 +0100, Jurgen Haan wrote:
    >
    >> Ow.. and I heard tesseract should be quite accurate. But don't really
    >> know too much about it. It's supposedly based on code from HP.

    > Ow?
    >
    > Will GOCR is sounding good if it interfaces with XSane! But Tesseract
    > may be more accurate?

    Tesseract *is* more accurate. You just have to be sure the image format
    is correct. (single bit pallette saved b&w tiff images it can handle
    like a breeze, but 16 bit colour images are a crime).

    In all honesty... To answer your initial question;

    No, there's no good OCR software for linux. At least not the free
    opensource kind that integrates seamlessly into your UI. Compared to
    some windows apps, it's not really that good. Both GOCR and Tesseract
    are best operated from commandline on B&W saved TIFF's or PGM's.

+ Reply to Thread