How to install Linux applications? - Linux

This is a discussion on How to install Linux applications? - Linux ; I am new to Linux so please be gentile;-). Recently installed Redhat Linux 9 on a relatively old laptop computer (Toshiba Satellite 2100CDT). The installation completed without any big problems. But now I have two "annoying" problems. 1. Network configuration: ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. How to install Linux applications?

    I am new to Linux so please be gentile;-). Recently installed Redhat Linux 9
    on a relatively old laptop computer (Toshiba Satellite 2100CDT). The
    installation completed without any big problems. But now I have two
    "annoying" problems.

    1. Network configuration:

    Couldn't find any driver for a Linksys external USB-type wireless network
    adapter WUSB54G/80211.g so I gave up on this USB adapter. But then couldn't
    even get my 3COM 3C589D PCMCIA 2.0/2.1 network card to work either which is
    directly connected to one of the wired ports of my Linksys WRT54G router
    which is in turn connected to my cable modem.

    2. Now this one is really my problem. Without connection to the Internet
    from the linux laptop because of the above network configureation problem, I
    used a desktop running Windoze XP Pro to download some of the latest verions
    of applications for Linux i386 such as Firefox 1.0.3, and OpenOfficeORG 2.0,
    etc. but I am not sure how I can install these applications with Linux. Here
    are what I did (using Firefox 1.0.3 as an example):

    A) With the desktop PC running Windoze XP, downloaded
    firefox-1.0.3.installer.tar.gz
    B) With the destkop PC running Windoze XP, ran WINZIP to extract the above
    downloaded tar.gz file, and got: the following extracted files
    * config.ini
    * firefox-installer
    * firefox-installer-bin
    * install.ini
    * license.txt
    * watermark.png
    * subdirectory xpi which includes 6 files with file extension .xpi
    C) With the desktop PC running Windoze XP, burned the above files onto a
    CD-R (with the same file and directory structure)
    D) With the laptop running Redhat Linux 9, from command line (terminal) and
    using the CD-R media, tried 'executing' the above file firefox-installer or
    firefox-installer-bin (a script or a executable?), but couldn't install the
    application, at all.

    What went wrong with my download and/or installation process/procedure?
    Thanks!

    James

  2. Re: How to install Linux applications?

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:06:53 -0400, James Xiaolu Jin wrote:

    > I am new to Linux so please be gentile;-). Recently installed Redhat Linux 9
    > on a relatively old laptop computer (Toshiba Satellite 2100CDT). The
    > installation completed without any big problems. But now I have two
    > "annoying" problems.
    >
    > 1. Network configuration:
    >
    > Couldn't find any driver for a Linksys external USB-type wireless network
    > adapter WUSB54G/80211.g so I gave up on this USB adapter. But then couldn't
    > even get my 3COM 3C589D PCMCIA 2.0/2.1 network card to work either which is
    > directly connected to one of the wired ports of my Linksys WRT54G router
    > which is in turn connected to my cable modem.
    >
    > 2. Now this one is really my problem. Without connection to the Internet
    > from the linux laptop because of the above network configureation problem, I
    > used a desktop running Windoze XP Pro to download some of the latest verions
    > of applications for Linux i386 such as Firefox 1.0.3, and OpenOfficeORG 2.0,
    > etc. but I am not sure how I can install these applications with Linux. Here
    > are what I did (using Firefox 1.0.3 as an example):
    >
    > A) With the desktop PC running Windoze XP, downloaded
    > firefox-1.0.3.installer.tar.gz
    > B) With the destkop PC running Windoze XP, ran WINZIP to extract the above
    > downloaded tar.gz file, and got: the following extracted files
    > * config.ini
    > * firefox-installer
    > * firefox-installer-bin
    > * install.ini
    > * license.txt
    > * watermark.png
    > * subdirectory xpi which includes 6 files with file extension .xpi
    > C) With the desktop PC running Windoze XP, burned the above files onto a
    > CD-R (with the same file and directory structure)
    > D) With the laptop running Redhat Linux 9, from command line (terminal) and
    > using the CD-R media, tried 'executing' the above file firefox-installer or
    > firefox-installer-bin (a script or a executable?), but couldn't install the
    > application, at all.
    >
    > What went wrong with my download and/or installation process/procedure?
    > Thanks!
    >
    > James

    If you just did the install the first thing you should do is to get rid of
    Redhat 9 and install Fedora Core 3. Redhat 9 is very old and it's no
    longer supported. It's modern descendant is Fedora Core 3. FC3 is much
    more likely to have drivers for your devices. If it doesn't have them then
    chances are they don't exist. RH9 is several years old so it's not going
    to have drivers for any device that came out since then. Even if the
    device was current when RH9 was shipped there is a good chance that it
    might not be supported. It takes longer for Linux to get a driver then it
    does for Windows because most manufacturers don't bother to do a Linux
    driver themselves so there can be a lag of several months to a year before
    a new device gets a Linux driver.

  3. Re: How to install Linux applications?

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > If you just did the install the first thing you should do is to get rid of
    > Redhat 9 and install Fedora Core 3. ....

    I am using FC3 and it did not recognize my wireless NIC, on a quest to find
    a compatible wireless PCI nic card

  4. Re: How to install Linux applications?

    On 4/22/2005 9:06 AM, I believe that James Xiaolu Jin wrote:
    > I am new to Linux so please be gentile;-). Recently installed Redhat Linux 9
    > on a relatively old laptop computer (Toshiba Satellite 2100CDT). The
    > installation completed without any big problems. But now I have two
    > "annoying" problems.
    >
    > 1. Network configuration:
    >
    > Couldn't find any driver for a Linksys external USB-type wireless network
    > adapter WUSB54G/80211.g so I gave up on this USB adapter. But then couldn't
    > even get my 3COM 3C589D PCMCIA 2.0/2.1 network card to work either which is
    > directly connected to one of the wired ports of my Linksys WRT54G router
    > which is in turn connected to my cable modem.

    Not surprising, USB support has undergone major revision since RHL 9.
    But the 3C589 should work... Care to mention the errors your getting and
    the steps you took to try to enable the NIC?

    > 2. Now this one is really my problem. Without connection to the Internet
    > from the linux laptop because of the above network configureation problem, I
    > used a desktop running Windoze XP Pro to download some of the latest verions
    > of applications for Linux i386 such as Firefox 1.0.3, and OpenOfficeORG 2.0,
    > etc. but I am not sure how I can install these applications with Linux. Here
    > are what I did (using Firefox 1.0.3 as an example):
    >
    > A) With the desktop PC running Windoze XP, downloaded
    > firefox-1.0.3.installer.tar.gz
    > B) With the destkop PC running Windoze XP, ran WINZIP to extract the above
    > downloaded tar.gz file, and got: the following extracted files
    > * config.ini
    > * firefox-installer
    > * firefox-installer-bin
    > * install.ini
    > * license.txt
    > * watermark.png
    > * subdirectory xpi which includes 6 files with file extension .xpi
    > C) With the desktop PC running Windoze XP, burned the above files onto a
    > CD-R (with the same file and directory structure)

    burn the tar.gz file to CD, copy that file to your linux system and
    untar it there. All file permissions assigned to the files and
    directories of the tar ball are lost by virtue of you extracting them to
    the Windows filesystem, which knows nothing about Unix permissions.

    > D) With the laptop running Redhat Linux 9, from command line (terminal) and
    > using the CD-R media, tried 'executing' the above file firefox-installer or
    > firefox-installer-bin (a script or a executable?), but couldn't install the
    > application, at all.
    >
    > What went wrong with my download and/or installation process/procedure?
    > Thanks!
    >
    > James

    I doubt that RHL 9 enables files on the mounted CD-R to be executable.
    Burn the tar.gz file to CDR, copy it to the linux filesystem on the
    laptop and untar it there (tar -zxvf). Then try executing the
    firefox-installer-bin file. Remember that the current directory is not
    in the normal user's $PATH, so you need to explicitly tell linux where
    the file is. By addin './' to the front of the filename to be executed,
    you will be telling linux to find the file in the current directory. So
    you'll wanna do something like:
    $ ./firefox-installer-bin

    HTH,
    Tim

    HTH,
    Tim

  5. Re: How to install Linux applications?

    James Xiaolu Jin wrote:

    > What went wrong with my download and/or installation process/procedure?
    > Thanks!

    You could have just said I need help installing Firefox, this is what
    happened.

    Anyway at the command line type ./firefox-installer

    That should get you running.

  6. Re: How to install Linux applications?

    Beowulf wrote:

    > General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > ..
    >
    >>If you just did the install the first thing you should do is to get rid of
    >>Redhat 9 and install Fedora Core 3. ....

    > I am using FC3 and it did not recognize my wireless NIC, on a quest to find
    > a compatible wireless PCI nic card

    Try Gentoo or Ubuntu. FC3 is wireless flaky.

  7. Re: How to install Linux applications?

    James Xiaolu Jin wrote:

    > I am new to Linux so please be gentile;-). Recently installed Redhat Linux
    > 9 on a relatively old laptop computer (Toshiba Satellite 2100CDT). The

    why is it so many people are getting their hands on these
    old Red Hat 9 copies? Wouldn't it actually be difficult
    to find these? Maybe people look in the back of those
    "Red Hat Linux Bible" books and find the Red Hat
    install disks that came with the book years ago?
    Mark

  8. Re: How to install Linux applications?

    "Mr Gumby" wrote in message news:FXfae.193$Yc.72@trnddc06...
    > James Xiaolu Jin wrote:
    >
    >> I am new to Linux so please be gentile;-). Recently installed Redhat Linux
    >> 9 on a relatively old laptop computer (Toshiba Satellite 2100CDT). The

    > why is it so many people are getting their hands on these
    > old Red Hat 9 copies? Wouldn't it actually be difficult
    > to find these? Maybe people look in the back of those
    > "Red Hat Linux Bible" books and find the Red Hat
    > install disks that came with the book years ago?
    > Mark

    Lots of bookstores (at least in my area) still carry books with RH9 in them. And some are discounted quite a lot compared to
    the books with the newest versions of Linux in them. I did manage to snag a copy of
    Red Hat Linux Fedora Core 3 Unleashed , with 1-DVD & 2-CD's a while back for $28.00 (regular price was $50.00) at my local
    Borders Books. Now, the same book is back to the regular price. But, the books with the older versions, are still on the
    shelves and in some cases, not discounted at all !
    james

  9. Re: How to install Linux applications?

    Ok, maybe it's time for me to install something like CentOS 4 (which is
    about the same as the latest Redhat Enterprise Linux).

    Thanks,

    "Mr Gumby" wrote in message
    > James Xiaolu Jin wrote:
    >
    > > I am new to Linux so please be gentile;-). Recently installed Redhat

    Linux
    > > 9 on a relatively old laptop computer (Toshiba Satellite 2100CDT). The

    > why is it so many people are getting their hands on these
    > old Red Hat 9 copies? Wouldn't it actually be difficult
    > to find these? Maybe people look in the back of those
    > "Red Hat Linux Bible" books and find the Red Hat
    > install disks that came with the book years ago?
    > Mark

  10. Re: How to install Linux applications?

    Mr Gumby wrote:

    > James Xiaolu Jin wrote:
    >
    >> I am new to Linux so please be gentile;-). Recently installed Redhat
    >> Linux 9 on a relatively old laptop computer (Toshiba Satellite 2100CDT).
    >> The

    > why is it so many people are getting their hands on these
    > old Red Hat 9 copies? Wouldn't it actually be difficult
    > to find these? Maybe people look in the back of those
    > "Red Hat Linux Bible" books and find the Red Hat
    > install disks that came with the book years ago?
    > Mark

    For yet one other reason, people might be using Red Hat 9 as a learning
    platform for the Red Hat Certified Tech / Engineer practice tests. RH 9 is
    based on the 2.4 kernel, as is the current Enterprise Linux. Some training
    study guides prefer RH 9, or something like CentOS, or the real thing
    (RHEL) to practice skills needed for successful testing and eventual
    certification.

  11. Re: How to install Linux applications?

    Thanks for all the replies.

    I guess I should forget about this old old Redhat Linux 9. I am right now
    downloading Fedora Core 4 Test 2 (the second test release of Fedora Core 4)
    which must be the latest (and the greatest;-)

    James

    "James Xiaolu Jin" wrote in message
    >I am new to Linux so please be gentile;-). Recently installed Redhat Linux
    >9 on a relatively old laptop computer (Toshiba Satellite 2100CDT). The
    >installation completed without any big problems. But now I have two
    >"annoying" problems.
    >
    > 1. Network configuration:
    >
    > Couldn't find any driver for a Linksys external USB-type wireless network
    > adapter WUSB54G/80211.g so I gave up on this USB adapter. But then
    > couldn't even get my 3COM 3C589D PCMCIA 2.0/2.1 network card to work
    > either which is directly connected to one of the wired ports of my Linksys
    > WRT54G router which is in turn connected to my cable modem.
    >
    > 2. Now this one is really my problem. Without connection to the Internet
    > from the linux laptop because of the above network configureation problem,
    > I used a desktop running Windoze XP Pro to download some of the latest
    > verions of applications for Linux i386 such as Firefox 1.0.3, and
    > OpenOfficeORG 2.0, etc. but I am not sure how I can install these
    > applications with Linux. Here are what I did (using Firefox 1.0.3 as an
    > example):
    >
    > A) With the desktop PC running Windoze XP, downloaded
    > firefox-1.0.3.installer.tar.gz
    > B) With the destkop PC running Windoze XP, ran WINZIP to extract the above
    > downloaded tar.gz file, and got: the following extracted files
    > * config.ini
    > * firefox-installer
    > * firefox-installer-bin
    > * install.ini
    > * license.txt
    > * watermark.png
    > * subdirectory xpi which includes 6 files with file extension .xpi
    > C) With the desktop PC running Windoze XP, burned the above files onto a
    > CD-R (with the same file and directory structure)
    > D) With the laptop running Redhat Linux 9, from command line (terminal)
    > and using the CD-R media, tried 'executing' the above file
    > firefox-installer or firefox-installer-bin (a script or a executable?),
    > but couldn't install the application, at all.
    >
    > What went wrong with my download and/or installation process/procedure?
    > Thanks!
    >
    > James

  12. Re: How to install Linux applications?

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 08:14:30 -0400, James Xiaolu Jin wrote:

    > I guess I should forget about this old old Redhat Linux 9. I am right now
    > downloading Fedora Core 4 Test 2 (the second test release of Fedora Core 4)
    > which must be the latest (and the greatest;-)

    Oh, gosh no! FC4T2 is _not_ for newbies! It is not a released product!

    While we do need testers for the upcoming FC4 release, noobs should still
    install FC3 and make sure it is updated with the latest changes.

    James, I think you have over-compensated ;-)

  13. Re: How to install Linux applications?

    Yes I understand that a test release is for a tester, but I guess I am
    willing to go all the way to the latest (and the greatest, hopefully;-)

    Thanks,
    James

    "Tommy Reynolds" wrote in message
    newsan.2005.04.23.14.59.13.488948@yahoo.com...
    > On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 08:14:30 -0400, James Xiaolu Jin wrote:
    >
    >> I guess I should forget about this old old Redhat Linux 9. I am right now
    >> downloading Fedora Core 4 Test 2 (the second test release of Fedora Core
    >> 4)
    >> which must be the latest (and the greatest;-)

    > Oh, gosh no! FC4T2 is _not_ for newbies! It is not a released product!
    >
    > While we do need testers for the upcoming FC4 release, noobs should still
    > install FC3 and make sure it is updated with the latest changes.
    >
    > James, I think you have over-compensated ;-)

  14. Re: How to install Linux applications?

    James Xiaolu Jin wrote:
    > Yes I understand that a test release is for a tester, but I guess I am
    > willing to go all the way to the latest (and the greatest, hopefully;-)

    Fine. It simply is not the best way to learn about an OS.
    If you go for the latest stable version then at least when you get stuck
    the probability is that you are doing something wrong and not the other
    way round where the system may be misbehaving although you may be doing
    everything right. You'd have to be an expert or at least quite familiar
    with the OS to recognize problems in the latter category.

    --
    Unix is like a toll road on which you have to stop every 50 feet to
    pay another nickel. But hey! You only feel 5 cents poorer each time.

  15. Re: How to install Linux applications?

    ge0rge wrote in news:3cvlioF683schU1@individual.net:

    >> Yes I understand that a test release is for a tester, but I guess I am
    >> willing to go all the way to the latest (and the greatest, hopefully;-)

    > Fine. It simply is not the best way to learn about an OS.
    > If you go for the latest stable version then at least when you get stuck
    > the probability is that you are doing something wrong and not the other
    > way round where the system may be misbehaving although you may be doing
    > everything right. You'd have to be an expert or at least quite familiar
    > with the OS to recognize problems in the latter category.

    Any idea on when FC4 is supposed to be released? Maybe its not too far off
    and there is no rush to use the tests.

  16. Re: How to install Linux applications?

    On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 00:53:15 +0000, Kev wrote:

    > Any idea on when FC4 is supposed to be released? Maybe its not too far
    > off and there is no rush to use the tests.

    http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/schedule/

    Cheers

  17. Re: How to install Linux applications?

    Kev wrote in

    > ge0rge wrote in
    >
    >>> Yes I understand that a test release is for a tester, but I guess I
    >>> am willing to go all the way to the latest (and the greatest,
    >>> hopefully;-)

    >> Fine. It simply is not the best way to learn about an OS.
    >> If you go for the latest stable version then at least when you get
    >> stuck the probability is that you are doing something wrong and not
    >> the other way round where the system may be misbehaving although you
    >> may be doing everything right. You'd have to be an expert or at least
    >> quite familiar with the OS to recognize problems in the latter
    >> category.

    > Any idea on when FC4 is supposed to be released? Maybe its not too far
    > off and there is no rush to use the tests.

    I just downloaded the full bore FC4-T2 on bootable DVD. It went so smooth
    for me, for the first time I have hope that semi-free Linux is truly
    going to make it to the big lights. It won't be long now!

    So far I have installed it 2 different systems without a glitch. Haven't
    really tested much though as I am sure there are lots of bugs.

  18. Re: How to install Linux applications?

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 08:14:30 -0400, James Xiaolu Jin wrote:

    > Thanks for all the replies.
    >
    > I guess I should forget about this old old Redhat Linux 9. I am right now
    > downloading Fedora Core 4 Test 2 (the second test release of Fedora Core 4)
    > which must be the latest (and the greatest;-)
    >
    > James

    My eyes have been opened. I recommend MEPIS, a Debian-based distro, over
    Fedora Core [234]. MEPIS was by far the easiest-to-install OS (compared to
    *any* OS) and it has worked by far the most flawlessly of any Linux distro
    I have ever tried.

    I liked Fedora Core whatever just fine, really, until I tried MEPIS. Wow!

    Just a suggestion.

    --
    JDS | jeffrey@example.invalid
    | http://www.newtnotes.com

  19. Re: How to install Linux applications?

    JDS,

    Thanks for the info, and I am downloading SimplyMEPIS 3.3 LiveCD right now,
    and will give it a try. By the way, I understand I could run this MEPIS
    LiveCD off my PC's CD-ROM drive (without installing anything to a hard
    drive, though it would run slowly, of course), which is helpful in testing
    it out and verifying it works with all of the PC's hardware devices. However
    if I am happy with this MEPIS LiveCD, can I install it on a PC which already
    has Windoze XP Professional installed (such as adding a new hardrive and
    then instaling this MEPIS Linux into the new hardrive, so that I could
    dual-boot the PC into MEPIS or Windoze)?

    Thanks again,
    James

    "JDS" wrote in message
    newsan.2005.04.26.19.15.07.550091@example.invalid...
    > On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 08:14:30 -0400, James Xiaolu Jin wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for all the replies.
    >>
    >> I guess I should forget about this old old Redhat Linux 9. I am right now
    >> downloading Fedora Core 4 Test 2 (the second test release of Fedora Core
    >> 4)
    >> which must be the latest (and the greatest;-)
    >>
    >> James

    > My eyes have been opened. I recommend MEPIS, a Debian-based distro, over
    > Fedora Core [234]. MEPIS was by far the easiest-to-install OS (compared to
    > *any* OS) and it has worked by far the most flawlessly of any Linux distro
    > I have ever tried.
    >
    > I liked Fedora Core whatever just fine, really, until I tried MEPIS. Wow!
    >
    > Just a suggestion.
    >
    > --
    > JDS | jeffrey@example.invalid
    > | http://www.newtnotes.com
    > DJMBS | http://newtnotes.com/doctor-jeff-master-brainsurgeon/

  20. Re: How to install Linux applications?

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 07:07:26 -0400, James Xiaolu Jin wrote:

    > if I am happy with this MEPIS LiveCD, can I install it on a PC which already
    > has Windoze XP Professional installed (such as adding a new hardrive and
    > then instaling this MEPIS Linux into the new hardrive, so that I could
    > dual-boot the PC into MEPIS or Windoze)?

    Yes, you can. choose the option to install the bootloader on MBR -- the
    Grub bootloader can then boot into either Windows or Linux.

    --
    JDS | jeffrey@example.invalid
    | http://www.newtnotes.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast