How to install Linux applications? - Linux

This is a discussion on How to install Linux applications? - Linux ; Thanks, and I will try just that. I played with it running it off the CD, and I like it. I did see the option to install the bootloader onto MBR but I was afraid that it would wipe out ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 22 of 22

  1. Re: How to install Linux applications?

    Thanks, and I will try just that. I played with it running it off the CD,
    and I like it. I did see the option to install the bootloader onto MBR but I
    was afraid that it would wipe out Windows XP's bootup...

    "JDS" wrote in message
    newsan.2005.04.28.15.53.24.762719@example.invalid...
    > On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 07:07:26 -0400, James Xiaolu Jin wrote:
    >
    >> if I am happy with this MEPIS LiveCD, can I install it on a PC which
    >> already
    >> has Windoze XP Professional installed (such as adding a new hardrive and
    >> then instaling this MEPIS Linux into the new hardrive, so that I could
    >> dual-boot the PC into MEPIS or Windoze)?

    > Yes, you can. choose the option to install the bootloader on MBR -- the
    > Grub bootloader can then boot into either Windows or Linux.
    >
    > --
    > JDS | jeffrey@example.invalid
    > | http://www.newtnotes.com
    > DJMBS | http://newtnotes.com/doctor-jeff-master-brainsurgeon/

  2. Re: How to install Linux applications?

    I use a program called yum that is really great. Much easier using yum
    because it grabs all of your dependencies automatically.

    >yum list available

    >yum update #####updates your entire system

    >yum install snes9express.i386 ####installs snes9express.i386 and deps

    ######## /etc/yum.conf ########################
    [main]
    cachedir=/var/cache/yum
    debuglevel=2
    logfile=/var/log/yum.log
    pkgpolicy=newest
    distroverpkg=redhat-release
    tolerant=1
    exactarch=1

    #[base]
    #name=Red Hat Linux $releasever - $basearch - Base
    #baseurl=http://mirror.dulug.duke.edu/pub/yum-repository/redhat/$releasever/$basearch/

    #[updates]
    #name=Red Hat Linux $releasever - Updates
    #baseurl=http://mirror.dulug.duke.edu/pub/yum-repository/redhat/updates/$releasever/

    [dag]
    name=Dag RPM Repository for Fedora Core
    baseurl=http://apt.sw.be/fedora/$releasever/en/$basearch/dag
    gpgcheck=1
    enabled=1

    James Xiaolu Jin wrote:
    > I am new to Linux so please be gentile;-). Recently installed Redhat Linux 9
    > on a relatively old laptop computer (Toshiba Satellite 2100CDT). The
    > installation completed without any big problems. But now I have two
    > "annoying" problems.
    >
    > 1. Network configuration:
    >
    > Couldn't find any driver for a Linksys external USB-type wireless network
    > adapter WUSB54G/80211.g so I gave up on this USB adapter. But then couldn't
    > even get my 3COM 3C589D PCMCIA 2.0/2.1 network card to work either which is
    > directly connected to one of the wired ports of my Linksys WRT54G router
    > which is in turn connected to my cable modem.
    >
    > 2. Now this one is really my problem. Without connection to the Internet
    > from the linux laptop because of the above network configureation problem, I
    > used a desktop running Windoze XP Pro to download some of the latest verions
    > of applications for Linux i386 such as Firefox 1.0.3, and OpenOfficeORG 2.0,
    > etc. but I am not sure how I can install these applications with Linux. Here
    > are what I did (using Firefox 1.0.3 as an example):
    >
    > A) With the desktop PC running Windoze XP, downloaded
    > firefox-1.0.3.installer.tar.gz
    > B) With the destkop PC running Windoze XP, ran WINZIP to extract the above
    > downloaded tar.gz file, and got: the following extracted files
    > * config.ini
    > * firefox-installer
    > * firefox-installer-bin
    > * install.ini
    > * license.txt
    > * watermark.png
    > * subdirectory xpi which includes 6 files with file extension .xpi
    > C) With the desktop PC running Windoze XP, burned the above files onto a
    > CD-R (with the same file and directory structure)
    > D) With the laptop running Redhat Linux 9, from command line (terminal) and
    > using the CD-R media, tried 'executing' the above file firefox-installer or
    > firefox-installer-bin (a script or a executable?), but couldn't install the
    > application, at all.
    >
    > What went wrong with my download and/or installation process/procedure?
    > Thanks!
    >
    > James

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2