[News] Closed-source iPhone Fails to Excite, Google's Linux Phones Grab Hype - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Closed-source iPhone Fails to Excite, Google's Linux Phones Grab Hype - Linux ; Commentary: Why you should avoid the iPhone ,----[ Quote ] | So, if I were you, I'd resist the temptation to get an iPhone. Just for a few | more months. You'll be glad you did. You never know what's ...

  1. [News] Closed-source iPhone Fails to Excite, Google's Linux Phones Grab Hype

    Commentary: Why you should avoid the iPhone

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So, if I were you, I'd resist the temptation to get an iPhone. Just for a few
    | more months. You'll be glad you did. You never know what's around the corner,
    | but I bet it'll be worth the wait.
    `----

    http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/11/15/i...nch/index.html

    OpenGL-enabled Linux phones are on their way (Android). There are third-party
    attempts to add value to iPhones, e,g.:

    Open-Source 3D Game Engine for Apple iPhone

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The port of the game engine will remain open source and will be available
    | under LGPL license to allow true 3D game development on the iPhone.
    `----

    http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/nov/...r_apple_iphone

    There is already an open source 3D engine here:

    Reaction to Google's Android Is Positive, Cautious

    ,----[ quote ]
    | Serdar Yegulalp, writing in Information Week, wrote on Wednesday that he had
    | a "hard time not jumping up and down with glee" when he first saw the user
    | interface implemented in a Google-made video on YouTube. He said he wondered
    | if other interfaces that use Android will be so well designed, particularly
    | at the lower price range.
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20071115/bs_nf/56748

    Related:

    iPhone matures the "free your phone" movement

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This is why FreeTheIPhone.org project is born, but even better, why OpenMoko
    | project exists. While some are trying to free the locked down device, others
    | are creating a free unlocked device from the start, and a whole software
    | framework to go with it. *
    `----

    http://www.mobiliberty.com/iphone_ma...phone_movement

    Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
    | didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
    | the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
    | numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
    | handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said. * *
    `----

    Google Android dev kit exposes Apple-inspired roots

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The release to developers of Google's Linux-based Android operating system
    | for mobile phones reveals that the prototype software shares at least a few
    | aspects in common with interfaces from the company's Bay Area neighbor,
    | Apple. *
    `----

    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...red_roots.html

    Nokia pushes for GTK+ 3.0

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | During this years GUADEC Andreas Proschofsky had the chance to sit down with
    | Carlos Guerreiro, Nokias Manager for Open Source Software, to talk - amidst
    | other things - about the not so different needs of personal computers and
    | mobile devices, about the necessity for GTK+ 3.0 and the impact of the iPhone
    | launch. * *
    `----

    http://derstandard.at/?url=/?id=2983710

    Nokia director speaks on Linux, open source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Linux is the launching pad you need to stand on to be productive," said
    | Nokia's open source director, Ari Jaaksi, at LinuxWorld Wednesday. "We have
    | never managed to bring out a product in such a short time, with so few
    | resources," he added, referring to Nokia's Linux-based Internet tablets. * *
    `----

    Apple to Brick Modded iPhones, Apple Boycott?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | While community reaction is generally negative, one blogger suggests sending
    | an even stronger message to Apple by boycotting Apple on October 1.
    `----

    http://www.osnews.com/story.php/1868...Apple-Boycott/

  2. Re: Closed-source iPhone Fails to Excite, Google's Linux Phones GrabHype

    On Nov 16, 2:09 am, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:

    - All of the dishonest bull**** from the lying scumbag Roy
    Schestowitz.

    How exactly does the iPhone fail to excite? It appears to be grabbing
    headlines around the world as people wait eagerly in line to buy them
    and Apple has instituted a limit of 2 iPhones per user since they
    can't keep up with demand.

    Then again, why would a dishonest paid shill like you post anything
    other than lies.

  3. Re: [News] Closed-source iPhone Fails to Excite, Google's Linux Phones Grab Hype

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Commentary: Why you should avoid the iPhone
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| So, if I were you, I'd resist the temptation to get an iPhone. Just for a few
    >| more months. You'll be glad you did. You never know what's around the corner,
    >| but I bet it'll be worth the wait.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/11/15/i...nch/index.html
    >
    > OpenGL-enabled Linux phones are on their way (Android).

    I'm hoping that there'll be an openGL capable OpenMOKO phone...

    > There are third-party
    > attempts to add value to iPhones, e,g.:
    >
    > Open-Source 3D Game Engine for Apple iPhone
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| The port of the game engine will remain open source and will be available
    >| under LGPL license to allow true 3D game development on the iPhone.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/nov/...r_apple_iphone

    I can never understand why anyone would write an open-source middleware
    layer for a closed platform.

  4. Re: [News] Closed-source iPhone Fails to Excite, Google's Linux Phones Grab Hype

    ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 16 November 2007 21:52 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> Commentary: Why you should avoid the iPhone
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| So, if I were you, I'd resist the temptation to get an iPhone. Just for a
    >>| few more months. You'll be glad you did. You never know what's around the
    >>| corner, but I bet it'll be worth the wait.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/11/15/i...nch/index.html
    >>
    >> OpenGL-enabled Linux phones are on their way (Android).

    > I'm hoping that there'll be an openGL capable OpenMOKO phone...

    They run Enlightenment on it already and that's some nice eye candy.

    >> There are third-party
    >> attempts to add value to iPhones, e,g.:
    >>
    >> Open-Source 3D Game Engine for Apple iPhone
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| The port of the game engine will remain open source and will be available
    >>| under LGPL license to allow true 3D game development on the iPhone.
    >> `----

    http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/nov/...r_apple_iphone

    > I can never understand why anyone would write an open-source middleware
    > layer for a closed platform.

    You mean, like open source ATI drivers for Windows? Watch yesterday mention of
    huge ATI problems in Vista (blobs at both levels).

    Microsoft still pretends that you can write code for something like Microsoft
    Office and SharePoint and call it "Open Source".

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Windows: innovative VTP technology (Virus Transfer
    Protocol)
    00:05:06 up 17 days, 4:03, 4 users, load average: 2.13, 2.04, 2.11

  5. Re: [News] Closed-source iPhone Fails to Excite, Google's Linux Phones Grab Hype

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 16 November 2007 21:52 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> Commentary: Why you should avoid the iPhone
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/11/15/i...nch/index.html
    >>>
    >>> OpenGL-enabled Linux phones are on their way (Android).

    >> I'm hoping that there'll be an openGL capable OpenMOKO phone...

    > They run Enlightenment on it already and that's some nice eye candy.
    >

    >>> There are third-party
    >>> attempts to add value to iPhones, e,g.:
    >>>
    >>> Open-Source 3D Game Engine for Apple iPhone
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>

    > http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/nov/...r_apple_iphone
    >>>

    >> I can never understand why anyone would write an open-source middleware
    >> layer for a closed platform.

    > You mean, like open source ATI drivers for Windows? Watch yesterday mention of
    > huge ATI problems in Vista (blobs at both levels).

    Quite - why bother on a open-source ATI driver for windows when we could
    have one on Linux which will work in perpetuity, rather than until the
    next release, update or service pack for Windows which will break it.

    > Microsoft still pretends that you can write code for something like Microsoft
    > Office and SharePoint and call it "Open Source".

    Marketing people are very very good at creating that kind of spin.