[News] [Or] Police Uses "Terror" Excuse to Shut Up Animal Rights Defenders - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Or] Police Uses "Terror" Excuse to Shut Up Animal Rights Defenders - Linux ; Animal rights activist hit with RIPA key decrypt demand ,----[ Quote ] | An animal rights activist has been ordered to hand over her encryption keys | to the authorities. | | Section Three of the Regulation of Investigatory Powers ...

  1. [News] [Or] Police Uses "Terror" Excuse to Shut Up Animal Rights Defenders

    Animal rights activist hit with RIPA key decrypt demand

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | An animal rights activist has been ordered to hand over her encryption keys
    | to the authorities.
    |
    | Section Three of the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act (RIPA) came into
    | force at the start in October 2007, seven years after the original
    | legislation passed through parliament. Intended primarily to deal with terror
    | suspects, it allows police to demand encryption keys or provide a clear text
    | transcript of encrypted text.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11...on_key_notice/

    Wow. Just wow. And to think that encryption in Windows is said to have back
    doors.

    Related:

    Microsoft could be teaching police to hack Vista

    http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...ng-police-hack

    UK holds Microsoft security talks

    Spy Master Admits Error

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20749773/site/newsweek/

    http://www.schneier.com/blog/archive...s_micro_1.html

    FBI ducks questions about its remotely installed spyware

    http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9747666-7.html

    United States Government Online Watchdogs? Part of the war on terror?

    http://www.whitedust.net/news/3984/U...on_terror?.../

    Back doors in Windows XP...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGlNTEQ0RzM

    Mother of all spyware...

    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Forge...ft-58752.shtml

    Police eats your CPU cycles and disk space...

    http://www.abanet.org/journal/ereport/jy13tkjasn.html

    Will Microsoft Put The Colonel in the Kernel?

    Austria OKs terror snooping Trojan plan

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10...utonic_trojan/

    Schäuble renews calls for surreptitious online searches of PCs

    Microsoft exec calls XP hack 'frightening'

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6218238.html

    Duh! Windows Encryption Hacked Via Random Number Generator

    http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/g...mber-generator

    "Trusted" Computing

    http://tuxdeluxe.org/node/164

    Read on APIs here:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Allchin

    How NSA access was built into Windows

    http://www.heise.de/tp/r4/artikel/5/5263/1.html

    NSA Builds Security Access Into Windows

    http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB19990903S0014

    Encrypted E-Mail Company Hushmail Spills to Feds

    http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/200...ted-e-mai.html

    No email privacy rights under Constitution, US gov claims

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11...email_privacy/

    Why proprietary code is bad for security

    http://wolfgang.lonien.de/?p=394

    Beware of Skype

    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/node/2479

  2. Re: [News] [Or] Police Uses "Terror" Excuse to Shut Up Animal Rights Defenders

    [H]omer espoused:

    >> Animal rights activist hit with RIPA key decrypt demand

    > Two words: plausible deniability.

    Abuse of state power.