[News] [OT] Record Industry Resorts to Extortion, Companies Fight Tiering of Web - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [OT] Record Industry Resorts to Extortion, Companies Fight Tiering of Web - Linux ; Anti-P2P college bill advances in House ,----[ Quote ] | Other opponents of the antipiracy provisions argue that merely requiring such | a plan from universities at all, regardless of the penalties involved, is | misguided. The Electronic Frontier Foundation, ...

  1. [News] [OT] Record Industry Resorts to Extortion, Companies Fight Tiering of Web

    Anti-P2P college bill advances in House

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Other opponents of the antipiracy provisions argue that merely requiring such
    | a plan from universities at all, regardless of the penalties involved, is
    | misguided. The Electronic Frontier Foundation, for instance, argued that
    | pressuring schools to strike deals with content providers could indirectly
    | raise the cost of students' tuition, as schools will inevitably pass the
    | costs of legal download services on to students in some fashion.
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6218834.html

    Vuze petitions FCC to restrict Internet traffic throttling by ISPs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Vuze, an application that allows users to search, browse, and download “DVD
    | and HD-quality” video content using the peer-to-peer protocol BitTorrent, has
    | petitioned the U.S. Federal Communications Commission to restrict Internet
    | traffic throttling by Internet Service Providers (ISPs).
    `----

    http://www.last100.com/2007/11/15/vu...tling-by-isps/

    The moguls fight against decentralisation of the Web. They want total control,
    just like Microsoft.

    Related:

    Comcast reported to FCC

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | P2P throttling breaks FCC 'net neutrality' policy
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Among the consumer groups who have approached the FCC are the Consumer
    | Federation of America, the Consumers Union, the Media Access Project and
    | professors at the Internet practices of the Yale, Harvard and Stanford law
    | schools. *
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...t-reported-fcc

    Comcast's "We Don't Throttle BitTorrent" Internal Talking Points Memo

    http://consumerist.com/consumer/leak...emo-315791.php

    Comcast Isn’t Net Neutral; Are They Liars, Too?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Following reports that Comcast isn’t net neutral, Consumerist blog has
    | acquired several leaks from Comcast insiders, claiming that they do indeed
    | use Sandvine for packet shaping, and that customer service representatives
    | are being told nothing about how the network technology works, *
    `----

    http://mashable.com/2007/10/26/comca...hey-liars-too/

    Senators want probe of Comcast's BitTorrent 'discrimination'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The senators suggested the incidents indicate "Congress should consider
    | adopting targeted regulations to protect consumers and ensure a vibrant and
    | open communications platform." *
    `----

    Congressman to Comcast: Stop interfering with BitTorrent

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | While a class action lawsuit is definitely one way to get Comcast to behave,
    | another perhaps more productive way to do so is to have politicians step in
    | and regulate. *
    |
    | On Tuesday, I discussed the issue of Comcast's anti-BitTorrent "network
    | management" with Rep. Rick Boucher, D-Va., who is a strong supporter of
    | consumer rights and has led the battle to undo the damage caused by the
    | Digital Millennium Copyright Act, or DMCA. * *
    `----

    OiNK Down, Norwegian BitTorrent Trackers Next

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | With the BitTorrent world spinning on its heels after the shock takedown of
    | the huge OiNK tracker, there are now indications that the shutdowns may
    | continue. According to the lawyer who lost against ‘DVD Jon’, next stop is
    | Norway and raids are imminent. *
    `----

    http://torrentfreak.com/oink-down-no...s-next-071024/

    TorrentSpy Traffic Plunges After US Ban

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The MPAA has caused TorrentSpy, once the most popular BitTorrent site, some
    | serious headaches. After a federal judge ordered TorrentSpy to log all user
    | data stored in RAM, they decided to block access to US users, consequently
    | their traffic dropped significantly. *
    `----

    http://torrentfreak.com/torrentspy-t...us-ban-071006/

    BitTorrent Admin Monitored by US Government, Forced to Dump Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sk0t, an ex-administrator of the EliteTorrents BitTorrent tracker is to have
    | his internet connection forcibly monitored by the US Government. If that
    | wasn’t bad enough, the monitoring software is Windows based - which means he
    | is being forced to ditch Linux - or face being barred from the internet. *
    `----

    http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-a...to-dump-linux/

    Is Comcast's BitTorrent filtering violating the law?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Assuming that the SYN packet goes through, the three-way handshake is allowed
    | to happen, then the two hosts will be able to begin communicating. Your ISP
    | can still kill the connection later, should they wish to, merely by blocking
    | the transmission of future packets. *
    |
    | According to Torrent Freak, Comcast is not doing this. They are instead
    | sending a reset (or RST) packet to the Comcast customer, pretending to be
    | from the host at the end of the BitTorrent connection. *
    `----

    http://www.cnet.com/8301-13739_1-9769645-46.html

    Comcast Cuts Off Heavy Internet Users

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Customers complain bandwidth limits are secret.
    `----

    http://consumeraffairs.com/news04/20...ban.html?imw=Y

    Torrentspy Disables Searching For US IPs

    | Torrent indexing site Torrentspy.com appears to have disabled torrent
    | searches for IPs that originate in the United States.
    `----

    http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...41244&from=rss

    Comcast Throttles BitTorrent Traffic, Seeding Impossible

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Over the past weeks more and more Comcast users started to notice that their
    | BitTorrent transfers were cut off. Most users report a significant decrease
    | in download speeds, and even worse, they are unable to seed their downloads.
    | A nightmare for people who want to keep up a positive ratio at private
    | trackers and for the speed of BitTorrent transfers in general. * *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Last year we had a discussion whether traffic shaping is good or bad, and
    | ISPs made it pretty clear that they do not like P2P applications like
    | BitTorrent. One of the ISPs that joined our discussions said: “The fact is,
    | P2P is (from my point of view) a plague - a cancer, that will consume all the
    | bandwidth that I can provide. It’s an insatiable appetite.”, and another one
    | stated: “P2P applications can cripple a network, they’re like leaches. Just
    | because you pay 49.99 for a 1.5-3.0mbps connection doesn’t mean your entitled
    | to use whatever protocols you wish on your ISP’s network without them
    | provisioning it to make the network experience good for all users involved.” * * * *
    `----

    http://torrentfreak.com/comcast-thro...ng-impossible/

  2. Re: [News] [OT] Record Industry Resorts to Extortion, Companies Fight Tiering of Web

    [H]omer espoused:

    >> Anti-P2P college bill advances in House

    > Only in America.
    >
    > This is just bizarre! Since when is it the duty of educational
    > institutions to play cop, or cut deals with protection racket extortionists?
    >
    > But then given American college staff's propensity for tazering
    > their students, I can see why they might be somewhat confused
    > about the extent of their jurisdiction.

    It's just another method of taxation, I think. Don't forget, though,
    that in both Canada and France, the music industry manages to tax blank
    tapes.