Linux in more than 90% of top supercomputers

,----[ Quote ]
| Other operating systems, such as AIX (4.8%), Solaris (0.4%) and Mac OS X
| (0.4%) make the list, but Linux is alone at the top, where it is used in 459
| systems or 91.8% of the top supercomputer systems.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensou...upercomputers/
http://tinyurl.com/2rponk

Is 2008 the Year of the Linux Desktop?

,----[ Quote ]
| So, the fact that Dell is offering Linux isn't the Holy Grail that many Linux
| users thought it would be. The" if you build it, they will come," philosophy
| just isn't going to get it done for desktop Linux. Nor is technical
| excellence alone going to propel Linux into the desktop market. Vendors need
| to offer solutions that play to Linux's strengths and put a little marketing
| muscle behind it as well.
|
| [...]
|
| I'm talking about the Asus EEE PC and the Everex Green gPC. Both systems are,
| by today's standards, cheap, underpowered, and limited in function. They also
| play to Linux's strengths by being cheap, underpowered, and limited in
| function. Despite limited horsepower, both systems are more than adequate for
| performing basic desktop functions (email, Web browsing, running
| OpenOffice.org, etc.) and offer stripped-down interfaces that are less
| confusing for new users.
|
| [...]
|
| Do I think that we're going to see Linux devices overtake Windows in 2008?
| Not likely. But I think this is going to be the year you're going to see a
| lot of companies offering slimmed-down devices boasting Linux for average
| users, which just might be the stepping stone for Linux to start encroaching
| on the full-fledged desktop market as well.
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/4357

Related:

,----[ Quote ]
| "Linux is the default operating [system] on desktops and servers at major
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| animation and visual effects studios, with maybe 98 percent [or more]
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| penetration," CinePaint Project Manager Robin Rowe told LinuxInsider.
`----

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/rsstory/57300.html

The year of the Linux desktop has finally arrived

,----[ Quote ]
| While Windows advocates may smirk and say here we go again, as 2007 draws to
| a close I get the strong feeling that we may look back upon this year and
| recognize it with hindsight as the year that the Linux desktop finally
| arrived. There are a number of events that point to 2007 as being the turning
| point for Linux and it all started in January with the release of Windows
| Vista. * *
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15177/1023/

Inertia the obstacle to Linux on the desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| The Year of the Linux desktop may never come. Instead, there will continue to
| be significant encroachment into the territory that Microsoft believes to be
| its own. *
`----

http://www.itpro.co.uk/features/1237...e-desktop.html

Gearlog Radio: Dumping Vista for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Golly jee, do we have a full-packed show for our Gearlog Radio listeners! We
| being the show with the Weird Hunter's switch from Windows to the open-source
| Ubuntu OS: what she likes about it and why some aspects of it are more
| unstable than Windows is. * *
`----

http://www.gearlog.com/2007/08/gearl...g_vista_fo.php

Linux gains despite and because of Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite the heightened competition over the last two quarters from
| Microsoft-Novell and a move by Oracle to undercut Red Hat on the cost of Red
| Hat Linux support service, Red Hat has reported double-digit growth in
| revenue and an increase in profit. *
|
| “The success of Red Hat has been able to validate the future potential for
| open source software,” Szulik says.
|
| Emerging countries are also lucrative markets for Linux, says IDC’s Gillen,
| because there isn’t as much of the legacy Windows technology to have to
| displace. *
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/...ns.html?page=3

Playing the numbers game: how many Linux installations and users are out there?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/0...are-out-there/