Howto load a usb module before hid? - Linux

This is a discussion on Howto load a usb module before hid? - Linux ; Hi, First, if this ends up being a second posting--I apologize. I tried posting via google, but is wasn't working, so now I'm posting via my ISP's news server. I finally tracked down this problem I've had: when I have ...

  1. Howto load a usb module before hid?

    Hi,

    First, if this ends up being a second posting--I apologize. I tried
    posting via google, but is wasn't working, so now I'm posting via my
    ISP's news server.

    I finally tracked down this problem I've had: when I have a usb mouse
    plugged in, my custom driver module doesn't load when I plug in my
    custom HID device. The hid driver gets it instead.

    I need to ensure my driver/module is loaded before hid so it's probe
    function gets called first. I found a /etc/sysconfig/kernel file with
    an environment variable, MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT. Is that the correct
    way? Or should I be modifying something else (adding modprobe to some
    startup script)?

    Specifics: SUSE 9.1 with kernel upgraded to 2.6.5-7.111

    Thanks!

    Jim

  2. Re: Howto load a usb module before hid?

    Jim scribbled on the stall wall:
    > Hi,
    >
    > First, if this ends up being a second posting--I apologize. I tried
    > posting via google, but is wasn't working, so now I'm posting via my
    > ISP's news server.
    >
    > I finally tracked down this problem I've had: when I have a usb mouse
    > plugged in, my custom driver module doesn't load when I plug in my
    > custom HID device. The hid driver gets it instead.
    >
    > I need to ensure my driver/module is loaded before hid so it's probe
    > function gets called first. I found a /etc/sysconfig/kernel file with
    > an environment variable, MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT. Is that the correct
    > way? Or should I be modifying something else (adding modprobe to some
    > startup script)?
    >
    > Specifics: SUSE 9.1 with kernel upgraded to 2.6.5-7.111

    the modprobe.conf file indicates that you can do

    install module1; modprobe mod2; modprobe mod3; modprobe --ignore-install module1

    to install a stack of modules but I have had REAL trouble making this
    sequence work consistently. I can use this method to install the scsi
    driver and the st module but when I try to use it to load usbhid and then
    joydev it simply does not work.