Linux mail apps, why oh why !!!! - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux mail apps, why oh why !!!! - Linux ; Sorry for the 'why oh why!!!' bit, I'm just a little flustered because what I was doing needed doing very quickly. When email boxes were just nice cute text files you could do all sorts of seemingly complex things with ...

  1. Linux mail apps, why oh why !!!!

    Sorry for the 'why oh why!!!' bit, I'm just a little flustered because what
    I was doing needed doing very quickly. When email boxes were just nice cute
    text files you could do all sorts of seemingly complex things with little
    effort.

    Why is it that Linux mail applications make it so difficult to import
    emails/address books etc. I don't mean from other software, because they
    all manage that very well, I mean each from/to itself.

    Example, I love Thunderbird or Horde as a mail client, personally I only
    ever use IMAP so this grumble doesn't normally apply to me.

    But I had some emails from a temporary address that I brought from another
    PC that used Thunderbird, Thunderbird has imports for everything, except
    itself. It isn't enough to just put the folder into the mail folders, it
    doesn't see them, nor does it work if you create a mail account so that a
    folder of the same name is created, then copy the Inbox etc into that
    folder. If you just cat the emails onto the end of one of the boxes it
    buggers it up completely.

    The way I had to do it was sftp them to my own server off site, import them
    into my mail, (I cheated part way through and just used 'vi' to add in the
    emails to the email files for each box). then forward them to the
    Thunderbird I wanted them in.

    Obviously that is a pants thing to have to do, not every granny has an off
    site server with their favourite bits and bobs on it.

    I abandoned Evolution for simmilar reasons a couple of years ago, same
    thing, imports everyone elses emails no trouble, try and import it's own
    and your buggered.

    Kmail, went through a 1/4 hour of importing 500ish emails, got to the end
    telling me it had finished. Bugger all in any mail folder.

    So that is my grumble for the day, each of the Linux email clients need to
    get a grip, if we move PCs and use pop, then we want to take our emails
    with us, but not be forced to import into one the of the other clients
    first, then import to our target application.

    I know what your thinking, try it on MS. Outlook is nearly always pants when
    it comes to importing emails. So you end up importing them into Outlook
    Express because it is more capable that way, then you can import them into
    Outlook from Express. So that is pants too.

    There I feel better now. I know what you are going to say, you are going to
    say 'But Rob man, to import Thunderbird into Thunderbird you just press
    'this' button'. Well I couldn't see it, nothing in help, nothing online
    only 1,880,000 google hits and I read every single one of them and they
    didn't mention it (sorry, I lied, I scanned the first page of results and
    none were helpers for me).

    But go on then, I will have another batch of at least 500 next week, so if
    there is a button somewhere, I'll offer my body to the first to tell me how
    it is meant to be done. It's a good prize, I am told I'm worth my weight in
    gold, currently I weigh 4 ounces.

  2. Re: Linux mail apps, why oh why !!!!

    BearItAll wrote:

    >I am told I'm worth my weight in gold, currently I weigh 4 ounces.

    That's worth about $3,200 US. Not bad.

    Gold's been good to me, lately. I bought ten 1-oz coins a few years
    ago at $300 each. Historically, gold is a crappy investment, but I
    thought it was kind of cool to have an investment that you can
    actually touch, and I figured they couldn't go down much. Amazing
    that they've over doubled in value.

  3. Re: Linux mail apps, why oh why !!!!

    BearItAll wrote:
    > Sorry for the 'why oh why!!!' bit, I'm just a little flustered because what
    > I was doing needed doing very quickly. When email boxes were just nice cute
    > text files you could do all sorts of seemingly complex things with little
    > effort.

    Because a single file cannot have concurrent access. That's why we're
    using Maildir now. Even exchange cannot concurrently access the mail,
    you cannot have two applications in MS doing mail at the same time with
    the same mail database - it has to use the Exchange API - if that
    provides what you want.

    Use Maildir, it's possible to do more with that.

    > Why is it that Linux mail applications make it so difficult to import
    > emails/address books etc. I don't mean from other software, because they
    > all manage that very well, I mean each from/to itself.

    They don't. Look at LDAP for address books, or mysql driven programs,
    then it's *really* simple to do what you want then as PERL provides all
    that you need for access... and failing that there are command line
    tools to export with.

    > Example, I love Thunderbird or Horde as a mail client, personally I only
    > ever use IMAP so this grumble doesn't normally apply to me.

    Horde is ok, but it needs a webserver, perhaps your hosting provider
    gives you that.

    > But I had some emails from a temporary address that I brought from another
    > PC that used Thunderbird, Thunderbird has imports for everything, except
    > itself. It isn't enough to just put the folder into the mail folders, it
    > doesn't see them, nor does it work if you create a mail account so that a
    > folder of the same name is created, then copy the Inbox etc into that
    > folder. If you just cat the emails onto the end of one of the boxes it
    > buggers it up completely.

    Dunno, that's specific to your setup. You would have to explain a little
    more. I think at some point you're using a local account.

    > The way I had to do it was sftp them to my own server off site, import them
    > into my mail, (I cheated part way through and just used 'vi' to add in the
    > emails to the email files for each box). then forward them to the
    > Thunderbird I wanted them in.
    >
    > Obviously that is a pants thing to have to do, not every granny has an off
    > site server with their favourite bits and bobs on it.

    Of course not. But Grannies are probably not going to have got into this
    situation themselves.

    > I abandoned Evolution for simmilar reasons a couple of years ago, same
    > thing, imports everyone elses emails no trouble, try and import it's own
    > and your buggered.
    >
    > Kmail, went through a 1/4 hour of importing 500ish emails, got to the end
    > telling me it had finished. Bugger all in any mail folder.
    >
    > So that is my grumble for the day, each of the Linux email clients need to
    > get a grip, if we move PCs and use pop, then we want to take our emails
    > with us, but not be forced to import into one the of the other clients
    > first, then import to our target application.

    Personally I work as an admin with a large cluster of mail servers and a
    huge customer base that all use common IMAPv4 access to a Maildir. It's
    not a problem for any of the customers, I don't see how you got into
    this mess.

    Well, it does. You can't do **** when your mail becomes a winmail.dat
    file. It's not accessible for you. You certainly couldn't do **** with vi.

    > There I feel better now. I know what you are going to say, you are going to
    > say 'But Rob man, to import Thunderbird into Thunderbird you just press
    > 'this' button'. Well I couldn't see it, nothing in help, nothing online
    > only 1,880,000 google hits and I read every single one of them and they
    > didn't mention it (sorry, I lied, I scanned the first page of results and
    > none were helpers for me).
    >
    > But go on then, I will have another batch of at least 500 next week, so if
    > there is a button somewhere, I'll offer my body to the first to tell me how
    > it is meant to be done. It's a good prize, I am told I'm worth my weight in
    > gold, currently I weigh 4 ounces.

    I don't want your body.

    I want others to know, however, that if your mail is on an IMAP server,
    the import process is not really an issue. Just leave your mail there.

    If you can't then just, I dunno, look on the file system for the mail.
    Chances are it's in RFC822 format.

  4. Re: Linux mail apps, why oh why !!!!

    After takin' a swig o' grog, ed belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > You certainly couldn't do **** with vi.

    "Doing **** with vi."

    That sounds like heaven to me!

    --