Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure. - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure. - Linux ; xubunt6 wrote: > HangEveryRepubliKKKan wrote: >> >> Everyone I know who runs Vista simply loves it. Seriously. > > Strange, about 3/4 of my collegues uninstalled it ... I was about to say that the Widiot is living in some ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 92

  1. Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure.

    xubunt6 wrote:

    > HangEveryRepubliKKKan wrote:
    >>
    >> Everyone I know who runs Vista simply loves it. Seriously.

    > Strange, about 3/4 of my collegues uninstalled it ...

    I was about to say that the Widiot is living in some upside-down world
    where Vista is wonderful and Linux sucks. But the reality is that he's
    just a lying troll.

  2. Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure.

    chrisv wrote:
    > xubunt6 wrote:
    >
    >> HangEveryRepubliKKKan wrote:
    >>> Everyone I know who runs Vista simply loves it. Seriously.

    >> Strange, about 3/4 of my collegues uninstalled it ...

    > I was about to say that the Widiot is living in some upside-down world
    > where Vista is wonderful and Linux sucks. But the reality is that he's
    > just a lying troll.

    I'm an I/T contract instructor for a junior college in the US, primarily
    teaching CompTIA courses for continuing education folks, but also doing
    some contract work with the government. That being said, I've had the
    opportunity to run Ubuntu head to head with both XP and Vista, and to
    have Ubuntu access full NTFS4/5 networks, wirelessly, without incident.
    In the long run, all 4 (W2K, XP, Vista and Ubuntu) and "ok" operating
    systems -- none really perfect. Each has its strengths and its flaws.
    Actually, at best, Ubuntu is now about where WNT4 was in 1977 -- good,
    but "not yet ready for grandma." It'll get there, soon, I'm sure, but
    not just yet...

    I come down against Vista only because of its "disrupt-o-meter"
    requirements for heavier/newer hardware and higher costs; and praise
    Ubuntu because its relatively free, and it'll run on damned near
    anything. But that's about it.

    I sought out Linux/Ubuntu as a way to depart M$'s high costs and
    penchants for reporting everything back to the M$ mothership, but that's
    about it. I gather that most folk who've made the switch did so for
    similar reasons. So, why all the flap? An OS is what it is -- a way to
    interface with a computer...

    Why can we not enjoy and share our discoveries and leave the flack for
    other venues?

    Cheers;

    Ed

  3. Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure.

    Night0wl said:
    > Ubuntu is now about where WNT4 was in 1977

    Non-existent? NT only came out in July 1993.
    Surely Ubuntu is better than that.

    Cybe R. Wizard
    --
    Nice computers don't go down.
    Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

  4. Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure.

    On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:08:08 -0700, Night0wl wrote:

    > Actually, at best, Ubuntu is now about where WNT4 was in 1977

    Yeah, NT4 came out in 1977 and dmr and ken just copied its design to
    finish Unix.

    It's sad that Ubuntu has taken so long (30 years!) to achieve the awesome
    capabilities in terms of memory management, serial multiprocessing, and
    cross-platform support that NT had achieved long before anyone had even
    heard of Microsoft.

    > Why can we not enjoy and share our discoveries and leave the flack for
    > other venues?

    The truth is invulnerable to flak. Anything else gets blasted.

    Thanks for the laughs, if nothing esle.

  5. Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure.

    Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

    > Night0wl said:
    >> Ubuntu is now about where WNT4 was in 1977

    > Non-existent? NT only came out in July 1993.
    > Surely Ubuntu is better than that.

    It is. Ubuntu's several years ahead of /Vista./

    Vista still can't do proper 3D, still can't connect to the 'net properly,
    is /still/ prone to malware, has no /real/ security (but lots of bogus
    "nag" dialogues), has no drivers available for most hardware, has stupid
    hardware requirements (4 Gb RAM is now considered the "sweet spot"), and
    DRM thrown in for good measure.

    C.

  6. Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure.

    Christopher Hunter said:
    > Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
    >
    > > Night0wl said:
    > >> Ubuntu is now about where WNT4 was in 1977

    > > Non-existent? NT only came out in July 1993.
    > > Surely Ubuntu is better than that.

    > It is. Ubuntu's several years ahead of /Vista./
    >
    > Vista still can't do proper 3D, still can't connect to the 'net
    > properly, is /still/ prone to malware, has no /real/ security (but
    > lots of bogus "nag" dialogues), has no drivers available for most
    > hardware, has stupid hardware requirements (4 Gb RAM is now
    > considered the "sweet spot"), and DRM thrown in for good measure.
    >
    > C.

    And their remarkably efficient customer service makes it a real and
    lasting value!
    Oh, dang! Did I say that before?

    Cybe R. Wizard
    --
    Nice computers don't go down.
    Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

  7. Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure.

    chrisv wrote:
    > xubunt6 wrote:
    >
    >> HangEveryRepubliKKKan wrote:
    >>> Everyone I know who runs Vista simply loves it. Seriously.

    >> Strange, about 3/4 of my collegues uninstalled it ...

    > I was about to say that the Widiot is living in some upside-down world
    > where Vista is wonderful and Linux sucks. But the reality is that he's
    > just a lying troll.

    A troll wasting air, by living.
    Fortunately, mainly Vista gui air, bought instead of got free ... ;-)

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 - (bubbling around, sometimes ...)."
    Less gui, less icons, more speed ... (^-^)

  8. Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure.

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Cybe R. Wizard belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > Christopher Hunter said:
    >>
    >> It is. Ubuntu's several years ahead of /Vista./
    >>
    >> Vista still can't do proper 3D, still can't connect to the 'net
    >> properly, is /still/ prone to malware, has no /real/ security (but
    >> lots of bogus "nag" dialogues), has no drivers available for most
    >> hardware, has stupid hardware requirements (4 Gb RAM is now
    >> considered the "sweet spot"), and DRM thrown in for good measure.
    >>
    >> C.
    >>

    > And their remarkably efficient customer service makes it a real and
    > lasting value!

    You betcha! You have all of Google at your service, not to mention the
    Ubuntu wiki and your Linux-loving friends.

    --
    That is, given that you /have/ friends.

  9. Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure.

    Christopher Hunter wrote:

    > It is. Ubuntu's several years ahead of /Vista./

    Agreed. I've just installed Ubuntu 7.10 on a used laptop I picked up cheap.
    The install was flawless. It detected all the integrated hardware and got
    on the Internet with no trouble. Hardware 3D support was easily activated
    and the new Compiz desktop rocks. I've installed Ubuntu for several people
    and handed out CDs to others. It seems to be a good solution for people
    faced with an older Windows box that has been malwared one too many time.
    These migrations are happening at an increasing rate and completely under
    the radar of the 'market share' pundits.

    > Vista still can't do proper 3D, still can't connect to the 'net properly,
    > is /still/ prone to malware, has no /real/ security (but lots of bogus
    > "nag" dialogues), has no drivers available for most hardware, has stupid
    > hardware requirements (4 Gb RAM is now considered the "sweet spot"), and
    > DRM thrown in for good measure.

    I used to be skeptical of the whole 'Vista will drive users to Linux'
    argument, but I've actually witnessed it first hand. I don't think it is
    a massive force, but it contributes. More often I see people moving to
    Linux without even considering Vista. They are breathing new life into
    an older system that Vista would choke. They have lost faith in Microsoft
    and tired of fighting with malware. That fact that Vista is such a pig
    just adds an extra nudge.

    I'll admit to some secret amusement every time some wintroll on this forum
    rants about how MS is wining the market share war and Linux is dying.
    They so don't get the transformation that is occurring. It is happening
    under their nose and they don't see it. They can wave 'market share'
    reports and MS profit figures around 'till the sun goes cold, and none of
    it will matter one bit to the growing legions of happy Linux users who
    have broken free from the proprietary trap. They can crow all they want
    about how they are winning the game... not realized we long ago moved on
    to a different field where the game isn't scored the same way.

    Cheers,

    Thad

  10. Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure.

    Night0wl writes:

    > Mark South wrote:
    >> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:08:08 -0700, Night0wl wrote:
    >>
    >>> Actually, at best, Ubuntu is now about where WNT4 was in 1977

    >> Yeah, NT4 came out in 1977 and dmr and ken just copied its design to
    >> finish Unix.
    >>
    >> It's sad that Ubuntu has taken so long (30 years!) to achieve the awesome
    >> capabilities in terms of memory management, serial multiprocessing, and
    >> cross-platform support that NT had achieved long before anyone had even
    >> heard of Microsoft.

    > Actually, Ubu has done in 3-4 years what it took Windoze over 15 to
    > accomplish. I think that speaks rather well of them.

    Actually, no it hasn't. Ubuntu was build on Debian which has been around
    for 11 years.

    It was started because the Ubuntu team were understandably sick to death
    of geeks and fools failing to recognise that Linux needed huge usability
    improvements if it was going to get mainstream. The "it works for me"
    gang (go to COLA) would have kept Linux in the gutter otherwise.
    Fortunately people with more experience in the real world and real
    people headed up Ubuntu and drew out a road map of how to get Linux
    usable for non programmers.

    Sorry to burst your bubble and all, but lets not tell porky pies just to
    be a fan boy ....

    --
    La sabiduria me persigue, pero yo soy mas rapido.
    -- Graffiti.

  11. Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure.

    Night0wl writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Night0wl writes:

    >>> Actually, Ubu has done in 3-4 years what it took Windoze over 15 to
    >>> accomplish. I think that speaks rather well of them.

    >> Actually, no it hasn't. Ubuntu was build on Debian which has been around
    >> for 11 years.

    > Even so, what's Windoze been around? 1985-2007 makes 22 years. And for
    > an OS to seriously challenge them, as Ubuntu/Debian has, after having
    > been around only half so long? I still think they have a LOT of
    > crowing room...

    I hate to burst your bubble again but even the most optimistic ( a
    euphemism for liars) LInux fans know it doesn't have more than 2-5% of
    the desktop market.

    In addition, there were multiple versions of windows in the most
    demanding period - the evolution of 8 bit to 64 bit processors. Do you
    remember segmented architectures and the problems that ensued?

    >> It was started because the Ubuntu team were understandably sick to death
    >> of geeks and fools failing to recognise that Linux needed huge usability
    >> improvements if it was going to get mainstream. The "it works for me"
    >> gang (go to COLA) would have kept Linux in the gutter otherwise.

    > COLA? Isn't that a beverage?

    It's a game played at comp.os.linux.advocacy ( a news group) go and join
    in. It's fun.

    >> Fortunately people with more experience in the real world and real
    >> people headed up Ubuntu and drew out a road map of how to get Linux
    >> usable for non programmers.
    >>
    >> Sorry to burst your bubble and all, but lets not tell porky pies just to
    >> be a fan boy ....

    > Fanboy? Hardly. I'm just as mystified and as challenged as the next
    > user, but, I'm also impressed by the accomplishment, and what it bodes
    > for the future...

    We have a lot to thank certain distros for thats for sure. Mainly
    PCLinuxOS and Ubuntu IMO. They have taken the geek out of Linux to a
    degree.

  12. Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure.

    Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
    > Night0wl said:
    >> Ubuntu is now about where WNT4 was in 1977

    > Non-existent? NT only came out in July 1993.
    > Surely Ubuntu is better than that.

    Cool your jets, fella... I merely state that Ubuntu, while being a
    fantastic Linux offering is technically about where WNT4 was in '97;
    meaning that several apps and drivers still need to be DL'd and
    installed in order for "all" the bells and whistles to work, and it
    still requires a bit of tweaking to get it just right.

    For command line heads like us, it as simple as Googling the app, dl,
    install and tweak. We can do it, and we have fun doing it, but
    "grandma" would be lost. See my point? Grandma could use W98SE, W2K or
    WXP out of the box, but not NT4. Same with Ubuntu. Until grandma can do
    it, right out of the box (kids are another story), we're still in second
    place.

    The basics are there, but I still had to find, install and tweak CUPS,
    HPOJ, XSANE, NDISWRAPPER, and a few other nit-noi toys...

    Cheers;

    Ed

  13. Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure.

    Mark South wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:08:08 -0700, Night0wl wrote:
    >
    >> Actually, at best, Ubuntu is now about where WNT4 was in 1977

    > Yeah, NT4 came out in 1977 and dmr and ken just copied its design to
    > finish Unix.
    >
    > It's sad that Ubuntu has taken so long (30 years!) to achieve the awesome
    > capabilities in terms of memory management, serial multiprocessing, and
    > cross-platform support that NT had achieved long before anyone had even
    > heard of Microsoft.

    Actually, Ubu has done in 3-4 years what it took Windoze over 15 to
    accomplish. I think that speaks rather well of them.

    >> Why can we not enjoy and share our discoveries and leave the flack for
    >> other venues?

    > The truth is invulnerable to flak. Anything else gets blasted.

    Who's truth? What truth? (chuckles). "Truth is a three-edged sword:
    your side, their side, and reality." (Babylon 5)

    > Thanks for the laughs, if nothing else.

    You're on!

    Cheers;

    Ed

  14. Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure.

    HangEveryRepubliKKKan wrote:
    > "Cybe R. Wizard" wrote
    >> Non-existent? NT only came out in July 1993.
    >> Surely Ubuntu is better than that.

    > OK, NT service pack 1.

    Sorry guy. Can't defend you here. Ubu 7.10 is a great improvement over
    a very short life span, much shorter than it took Windoze to get where
    they are now. I use and teach all the OSs I can, from DOS 2.1 to Vista,
    and Linux from raw core through Red Hat/Fedora and Ubuntu. Vista is a
    giant step backwards, whereas Ubuntu is still shooting for the sky.
    They'll make it, to, and long before Vista is ready for grandma, I think...

    Cheers;

    Ed

  15. Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure.

    On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 17:35:58 -0700, Night0wl wrote:

    > Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
    >> Night0wl said:
    >>> Ubuntu is now about where WNT4 was in 1977

    >> Non-existent? NT only came out in July 1993. Surely Ubuntu is better
    >> than that.

    > Cool your jets, fella... I merely state that Ubuntu, while being a
    > fantastic Linux offering is technically about where WNT4 was in '97;
    > meaning that several apps and drivers still need to be DL'd and
    > installed in order for "all" the bells and whistles to work, and it
    > still requires a bit of tweaking to get it just right.
    >
    > For command line heads like us, it as simple as Googling the app, dl,
    > install and tweak. We can do it, and we have fun doing it, but
    > "grandma" would be lost. See my point? Grandma could use W98SE, W2K or
    > WXP out of the box, but not NT4. Same with Ubuntu. Until grandma can do
    > it, right out of the box (kids are another story), we're still in second
    > place.
    >
    > The basics are there, but I still had to find, install and tweak CUPS,
    > HPOJ, XSANE, NDISWRAPPER, and a few other nit-noi toys...
    >
    > Cheers;
    >
    > Ed

    I am not a grand ma but I am a grand da and Ubuntu worked straight away
    for me with out any *tweaking* by me or any one else. I started with
    Feisty and the only problem that came up was I had to put in my pass word
    to access my second hard drive, I was told on here how to fix it but did
    not bother doing it because after reading the posts on here I thought I
    would have to do a reload, guess what I have not had any faults no reload
    upgraded to Gutsy when it was available with no hick-ups and as I do not
    use the second hard drive every time I have learnt to live with having to
    put my pass word in. I find Ubuntu handles USB ports far better than XP
    ever did (3 cameras 2 MP3 players Bluetooth). I have wondered if all the
    faults that have been mentioned on the upgrade have not been because when
    messing about with command lines they have put lines in that the updater
    was not expecting so it did it's job wrong.

    --
    Dave

  16. Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure.

    Hadron wrote:
    > Night0wl writes:
    >
    >> Mark South wrote:

    >>> Yeah, NT4 came out in 1997 and dmr and ken just copied its design to
    >>> finish Unix.
    >>>
    >>> It's sad that Ubuntu has taken so long (30 years!) to achieve the awesome
    >>> capabilities in terms of memory management, serial multiprocessing, and
    >>> cross-platform support that NT had achieved long before anyone had even
    >>> heard of Microsoft.

    >> Actually, Ubu has done in 3-4 years what it took Windoze over 15 to
    >> accomplish. I think that speaks rather well of them.

    > Actually, no it hasn't. Ubuntu was build on Debian which has been around
    > for 11 years.

    Even so, what's Windoze been around? 1985-2007 makes 22 years. And for
    an OS to seriously challenge them, as Ubuntu/Debian has, after having
    been around only half so long? I still think they have a LOT of crowing
    room...

    > It was started because the Ubuntu team were understandably sick to death
    > of geeks and fools failing to recognise that Linux needed huge usability
    > improvements if it was going to get mainstream. The "it works for me"
    > gang (go to COLA) would have kept Linux in the gutter otherwise.

    COLA? Isn't that a beverage?

    > Fortunately people with more experience in the real world and real
    > people headed up Ubuntu and drew out a road map of how to get Linux
    > usable for non programmers.
    >
    > Sorry to burst your bubble and all, but lets not tell porky pies just to
    > be a fan boy ....

    Fanboy? Hardly. I'm just as mystified and as challenged as the next
    user, but, I'm also impressed by the accomplishment, and what it bodes
    for the future...

    >>> The truth is invulnerable to flak. Anything else gets blasted.

    >> Who's truth? What truth? (chuckles). "Truth is a three-edged sword:
    >> your side, their side, and reality." (Babylon 5)
    >>> Thanks for the laughs, if nothing else.

    >> You're on!
    >>
    >> Cheers;
    >>
    >> Ed

  17. Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure.

    Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
    >
    >> Night0wl said:
    >>> Ubuntu is now about where WNT4 was in 1977

    >> Non-existent? NT only came out in July 1993.
    >> Surely Ubuntu is better than that.

    > It is. Ubuntu's several years ahead of /Vista./
    >
    > Vista still can't do proper 3D, still can't connect to the 'net properly,
    > is /still/ prone to malware, has no /real/ security (but lots of bogus
    > "nag" dialogues), has no drivers available for most hardware, has stupid
    > hardware requirements (4 Gb RAM is now considered the "sweet spot"), and
    > DRM thrown in for good measure.

    What's the reasoning behind "can't connect to the 'net properly"?

    Addendum: Yes, I happen to be posting this from a Windows machine -
    it's dual boot with Ubuntu as it happens. Yes, it's a genuine question.
    No, I'm not trying to elicit an incendiary response. Yes, it's a sad
    state of affairs that I feel the need to even attach this disclaimer.

    --
    [ste]

  18. Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure.

    Night0wl wrote:

    > Mark South wrote:
    >> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:08:08 -0700, Night0wl wrote:
    >>
    >>> Actually, at best, Ubuntu is now about where WNT4 was in 1977

    >> Yeah, NT4 came out in 1977 and dmr and ken just copied its design to
    >> finish Unix.
    >>
    >> It's sad that Ubuntu has taken so long (30 years!) to achieve the awesome
    >> capabilities in terms of memory management, serial multiprocessing, and
    >> cross-platform support that NT had achieved long before anyone had even
    >> heard of Microsoft.

    > Actually, Ubu has done in 3-4 years what it took Windoze over 15 to
    > accomplish. I think that speaks rather well of them.

    You make it sound like the Ubuntu team invented the wheel. It's based on
    Debian and mucho work proceeded the release of Ubuntu. Geez.
    Thankfully "intellectual property rights" through the GPL allows todays
    innovators to build on the backs of those who came before.

    Cheers.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.

  19. Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure.

    On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 17:35:58 -0700, Night0wl wrote:

    > Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
    >> Night0wl said:
    >>> Ubuntu is now about where WNT4 was in 1977

    >> Non-existent? NT only came out in July 1993. Surely Ubuntu is better
    >> than that.

    > Cool your jets, fella... I merely state that Ubuntu, while being a
    > fantastic Linux offering is technically about where WNT4 was in '97;
    > meaning that several apps and drivers still need to be DL'd and
    > installed in order for "all" the bells and whistles to work, and it
    > still requires a bit of tweaking to get it just right.
    >
    > For command line heads like us, it as simple as Googling the app, dl,
    > install and tweak. We can do it, and we have fun doing it, but
    > "grandma" would be lost. See my point? Grandma could use W98SE, W2K or
    > WXP out of the box, but not NT4. Same with Ubuntu. Until grandma can do
    > it, right out of the box (kids are another story), we're still in second
    > place.

    What the hell is grandma doing, Nuclear Physics? OOTB, Ubuntu connects
    to the net, recognizes most printers, has a fully functioning office
    package and a full compliment of graphics utilities for looking at pics
    of the kiddies...

    > The basics are there, but I still had to find, install and tweak CUPS,
    > HPOJ, XSANE, NDISWRAPPER, and a few other nit-noi toys...

    Hmmm. I have an HP printer/scanner combo. I didn't have to install/
    tweak anything. I plugged in the USB cable, and Cups recognized it.
    Xsane is installed already, and it worked fine with the scanner. If I
    plug my SD card into the slots in the printer, they come right up on my
    desktop.

    NDISWrapper is not the norm, it is the exception. Granted, it would be
    nice if it were never needed, but it usually isn't. As it is, it is only
    for wireless on laptops with unsupported chipsets. I happen to be
    unlucky enough to have one, and it was fairly painless for me to get it
    working, but might not be for everyone. For what it's worth, wireless
    works much better on my laptop with Ubuntu than it does in Vista. Vista
    starts up without connecting to the wireless. And since my AP does not
    broadcast it's SSID, I have to jump through hoops every time I boot to
    Windows to get to the network. With Ubuntu, I just boot and it's there,
    after setting it up once. Not to mention the inability of Vista Home
    Premium to work with my AD. Ubuntu does, but Windows doesn't. Classy...

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  20. Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure.

    Hadron wrote:

    > Night0wl writes:
    >
    >> Mark South wrote:

    >>> Yeah, NT4 came out in 1977 and dmr and ken just copied its design to
    >>> finish Unix.
    >>>
    >>> It's sad that Ubuntu has taken so long (30 years!) to achieve the
    >>> awesome capabilities in terms of memory management, serial
    >>> multiprocessing, and cross-platform support that NT had achieved long
    >>> before anyone had even heard of Microsoft.

    >> Actually, Ubu has done in 3-4 years what it took Windoze over 15 to
    >> accomplish. I think that speaks rather well of them.

    > Actually, no it hasn't. Ubuntu was build on Debian which has been around
    > for 11 years.
    >
    > It was started because the Ubuntu team were understandably sick to death
    > of geeks and fools failing to recognise that Linux needed huge usability
    > improvements if it was going to get mainstream.

    Bull****. Please quote Mark Shuttleworth where he EVER said anything like
    this!

    > The "it works for me"
    > gang (go to COLA) would have kept Linux in the gutter otherwise.

    **** you and your goddamn COLA. This is starting to get very annoying. Still
    trying to cause decent and acting like the troll you are! Can't you post
    anything here without backslapping people that participate in COLA - which
    YOU do all the time, btw.

    Cheers.