Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure. - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure. - Linux ; On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 13:29:22 -0600, Joe wrote: > On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 01:52:21 -0800, HangEveryRepubliKKKan wrote: > >> "Joe" wrote >>> It's fscking nuts... >> >> And the Lintard OS is being dragged along for the ride. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 81 to 92 of 92

  1. Re: A question of Vista...

    On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 13:29:22 -0600, Joe wrote:

    > On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 01:52:21 -0800, HangEveryRepubliKKKan wrote:
    >
    >> "Joe" wrote
    >>> It's fscking nuts...

    >> And the Lintard OS is being dragged along for the ride. Once fitting
    >> on a
    >> single floppy, the LinTard OS now requires a full CD.

    > Not sure what the LinTard OS is, but I seem to recall once running DOS
    > off of a floppy...

    There are still several distros that are designed to run from floppy, you
    can find them listed at linux.org.

  2. Re: A question of Vista...

    On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 09:21:57 +0100, Mark South wrote:

    > On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 13:29:22 -0600, Joe wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 01:52:21 -0800, HangEveryRepubliKKKan wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Joe" wrote
    >>>
    >>> And the Lintard OS is being dragged along for the ride. Once
    >>> fitting on a
    >>> single floppy, the LinTard OS now requires a full CD.

    >> Not sure what the LinTard OS is, but I seem to recall once running DOS
    >> off of a floppy...

    > There are still several distros that are designed to run from floppy,
    > you can find them listed at linux.org.

    Oh, sure, but then the Windows Whiners would be complaining that the CLI
    is too complex...

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  3. Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure.

    On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 22:14:57 -0800, HangEveryRepubliKKKan wrote:

    > "Hadron" wrote
    >> We have a lot to thank certain distros for thats for sure. Mainly
    >> PCLinuxOS and Ubuntu IMO. They have taken the geek out of Linux to a
    >> degree.

    > Not nearly enough. It's all there in it's full Geekdumb but hidden by
    > layers upon layers of half working CRAP.

    Just like Usenet is still a beautifuly effective and powerful system for
    transferring information, needlessly obscured by layers of garbage spewed
    by trash such as yourself.

  4. Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure.

    HangEveryRepubliKKKan wrote:
    > "Mark South" wrote
    >> Just like Usenet is still a beautifuly effective and powerful system for
    >> transferring information, needlessly obscured by layers of garbage spewed
    >> by trash such as yourself.

    > Usenet is hardly beautiful. Or should I put it this way. Usenet is as
    > beautiful as a white and grey painting constructed from the output of a
    > typerwriter.

    At least the typewriter is good at what it does.
    caver1

  5. Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure.

    On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 08:13:30 -0500, caver1 wrote:

    > HangEveryRepubliKKKan wrote:
    >> "Mark South" wrote
    >>> Just like Usenet is still a beautifuly effective and powerful system for
    >>> transferring information, needlessly obscured by layers of garbage spewed
    >>> by trash such as yourself.

    >> Usenet is hardly beautiful. Or should I put it this way. Usenet is as
    >> beautiful as a white and grey painting constructed from the output of a
    >> typerwriter.
    >>

    > At least the typewriter is good at what it does.

    Making noise?

    But what's the point even talking to someone who reads "beautifully
    effective" as meaning "beautiful"? When one doesn't understand the
    difference between an adverb and an adjective, computers are going to have
    to stay in the "too hard" basket.

  6. Modded: Usenet versus Bittorrent

    * Mark South fired off this tart reply:

    > Just like Usenet is still a beautifuly effective and powerful system for
    > transferring information, needlessly obscured by layers of garbage spewed
    > by trash such as yourself.

    http://www.slyck.com/story1376.html

    Conclusion - Decisive Usenet Victory

    Throughout the modern history of P2P, many networks have come and
    gone. Some networks achieve stunning success, like Napster,
    FastTrack, WinMX, AudioGalaxy, eDonkey2000, and BitTorrent.
    There's an old saying that no empire lasts forever, and neither does
    the holder of the P2P crown. As Usenet continues to evolve and its
    clear advantages delineate themselves to the mainstream public, it's
    very possible that in the near future, file-sharing may end up where
    it all began

    --
    Tux rox!

  7. Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure.

    * caver1 fired off this tart reply:

    > An idiot with a silly nym wrote:
    >
    >> Usenet is hardly beautiful. Or should I put it this way. Usenet is as
    >> beautiful as a white and grey painting constructed from the output of a
    >> typerwriter.

    > At least the typewriter is good at what it does.

    http://www.slyck.com/story1376.html

    BitTorrent vs. Usenet
    January 9, 2007
    Thomas Mennecke

    At least the ISP's don't (yet) appear to be interfering with Usenet
    (much).

    --
    Tux rox!

  8. Re: Modded: Usenet versus Bittorrent

    On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 10:39:54 -0500, Linonut wrote:

    > * Mark South fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> Just like Usenet is still a beautifuly effective and powerful system for
    >> transferring information, needlessly obscured by layers of garbage spewed
    >> by trash such as yourself.

    > http://www.slyck.com/story1376.html
    >
    > Conclusion - Decisive Usenet Victory
    >
    > Throughout the modern history of P2P, many networks have come and
    > gone. Some networks achieve stunning success, like Napster,
    > FastTrack, WinMX, AudioGalaxy, eDonkey2000, and BitTorrent.
    > There's an old saying that no empire lasts forever, and neither does
    > the holder of the P2P crown. As Usenet continues to evolve and its
    > clear advantages delineate themselves to the mainstream public, it's
    > very possible that in the near future, file-sharing may end up where
    > it all began

    Like Usenet needs any more binary traffic (or copyright heat) . . . .

    What we really need is a growing popular appreciation of the massive
    superiority of Usenet over _web-forums_ . . . .

    As in speed, multiple forums, cross-posting (legit, I mean), filtering and
    killfiling, and robustness (if yer server goes down, switch to another
    one, and you're back to your groups) . . . .

    And, yes, fast and reliable swapping around of massive binaries
    collections (I consider that bait for the sysadmins).

    The main PITA right now is having only one archive, Deja/Google, and it or
    its search-interface or both seeming increasingly wonky.

    Well, that and the fact that many if not most ISPs-- especially the
    high-sped ones-- and even some colleges apparently no longer offer Usenet
    as a standard Third Protocol, after the Web and email . . . .

    --

    Usenet is a strange place.

    < Dennis M. Ritchie

  9. Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure.

    Not according to http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

    > I'll admit to some secret amusement every time some wintroll on this
    > forum rants about how MS is wining the market share war and Linux is
    > dying.

    Oh, Linux will live on. It's just your OSS souls that are dead

    > They so don't get the transformation that is occurring. It is
    > happening under their nose and they don't see it. They can wave
    > 'market share' reports and MS profit figures around 'till the sun
    > goes cold, and none of it will matter one bit to the growing legions
    > of happy Linux users who have broken free from the proprietary trap.

    There's no trap. There's just good apps and games and hardware.

    Oh, did I forget to say you might have to pay for them? You don't mind, do
    you?

    > They can crow all they want about how they are winning the game...

    *Won the game*... a long time ago. And again this past August, 7 months
    after Vista was introducted, when it exceeded Linux usage.

    Imagine that: an "expensive bloated buggy unstable" operating system
    completely destroyed Linux' dreams. Why come?

    > not realized we long ago moved on to a different field
    > where the game isn't scored the same way.

    Who moved on? To what? The game is and always was desktop computer
    operating systems: the points are scored based on a few simple parameters:

    * how many people use them
    * how well do they meet users needs
    * how good are the apps and games and hardware.

    Windows just flat out shuts Linux down in most categories.

    What game do you and cola think you're playing?

  10. Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure.

    * DFS fired off this tart reply:

    > Who moved on? To what? The game is and always was desktop computer
    > operating systems: the points are scored based on a few simple parameters:
    >
    > * how many people use them
    > * how well do they meet users needs
    > * how good are the apps and games and hardware.
    >
    > Windows just flat out shuts Linux down in most categories.

    Nope.

    --
    Tux rox!

  11. Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure.

    On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 07:32:37 -0500, Linonut wrote:

    > * DFS fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> Who moved on? To what? The game is and always was desktop computer
    >> operating systems: the points are scored based on a few simple
    >> parameters:
    >>
    >> * how many people use them
    >> * how well do they meet users needs
    >> * how good are the apps and games and hardware.
    >>
    >> Windows just flat out shuts Linux down in most categories.

    > Nope.

    Actually, Windows is well-known for shutting itself down. Have they
    ported this feature to Linux?

    --
    ´╗┐This message is brought to you by your Department of Redundancy Department.

  12. Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure.

    Linonut wrote:
    > * DFS fired off this tart reply:

    >> Windows just flat out shuts Linux down in most categories.

    > Nope.

    Wow! Who can beat a "nope"?!?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5