Larry Ellison thrashes Red Hat

,----[ Quote ]
| "At Oracle we've been in the Linux business for a year now," he said.
|
| "With the Red Hat code all we did for the first year was fix bugs. Now Oracle
| growing a lot faster than Red Hat. Red Hat's been growing too because it’s a
| growing market."
`----

http://www.pcmag.co.uk/vnunet/news/2...n-aims-red-hat

OpenWorld: 1,500 companies adopt Oracle Unbreakable Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite Oracle's fast growth, Red Hat remains the top dog in the enterprise
| Linux market, with tens of thousands of subscribers to its support business.
| During its Q1 2008 call with analysts, Red Hat CEO Matthew Szulik said it
| added "multiple of thousands of customers" in that quarter alone.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...ntsrc=hm_topic
http://tinyurl.com/3djllc

Ellison touts Fusion Applications

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle CEO Larry Ellison didn't display much of his traditional flamboyance
| Wednesday at Oracle's OpenWorld conference, but he did preview the company's
| next-generation Fusion Applications and said its Unbreakable Linux offering
| has met with initial success.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20...nfoworld/93428

But wait...

OpenWorld: Oracle restricting app support to its own virtualization platform

,----[ Quote ]
| Buried under the surface of Oracle Corp.'s Monday announcement that it plans
| to get into the virtualization market is the fact that the company won't
| support its database and many other applications if they are running on
| virtualization software from VMware Inc., Microsoft Corp. or even Red Hat
| Inc.
|
| That effectively limits enterprise users who want to run their Oracle
| applications more efficiently through virtualization to just one platform:
| Oracle's new VM.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...c=news_ts_head
http://tinyurl.com/38yk8h

It's all about choice, as long as the choice is Ellison.

Related:

Oracle's mixed messages on "compatibility" with Red Hat Enterprise Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| No offense, Oracle, but if it looks like a fork, smells like a fork, and acts
| like a fork, it's a fork, and "fully compatible" is simply not a credible
| guarantee. You can't change someone else's code and crown it "fully
| compatible." *
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9772650-16.html

Oracle claims no Linux ulterior motive

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle is using LinuxWorld to try and calm concerns its Enterprise Linux and
| Unbreakable Linux Network (ULN) will fork Red Hat and fragment the Linux
| market. *
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...e_uln_red_hat/

Oracle's got a giant Red Hat fork coming, says spaceman

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle's assault on Linux looks to take the shape of a fork in the near
| future, according to Canonical founder and Ubuntu chief Mark Shuttleworth.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07..._oscon_ubuntu/

Is Unbreakable a long-term Linux play?

,----[ Quote ]
| After initial cynicism I have been forced to rethink my opinion on a couple
| of occassions, notably Oracle's patent pledge, the naming of customers and
| the naming of partners, although I remain unconvinced that OEL is a long-term
| strategy for the company as opposed to an attempt to disrupt the market. *
|
| Linux is clearly a long-term commitment. Oracle Enterprise Linux? Not sure.
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/...eakable_1.html

Ubuntu chief: Oracle Linux has 'tactical value'

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle has the ability to support Linux, and doing so could
| have "tactical value" for the database company, the founder
| of Ubuntu Linux--and a potential Oracle partner--said Friday.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-6128...8259&subj=news

Shuttleworth: Oracle-Ubuntu partnership only a matter of time

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.c...226514,00.html
http://tinyurl.com/yht7mk