Re: [Rival] Microsoft Pulls Another RIAA: DRM on Software (aka "Rent,Not Own") - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [Rival] Microsoft Pulls Another RIAA: DRM on Software (aka "Rent,Not Own") - Linux ; On Nov 14, 9:32 pm, Roy Schestowitz wrote: > Microsoft expands Office 'pay-as-you-go' rental program > > ,----[ Quote ] > | Via the pay-as-you-go program, users can choose three- or six-month > | subscriptions to Office Professional 2007 and ...

  1. Re: [Rival] Microsoft Pulls Another RIAA: DRM on Software (aka "Rent,Not Own")

    wrote:
    > Microsoft expands Office 'pay-as-you-go' rental program
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Via the pay-as-you-go program, users can choose three- or six-month
    > | subscriptions to Office Professional 2007 and pay a monthly fee to use the
    > | product.
    > `----

    Just when I thought their sow

  2. Re: Microsoft Pulls Another RIAA: DRM on Software (aka "Rent, NotOwn")

    On Nov 14, 11:12 pm, "bmillerjacob...@gmail.com"
    wrote:
    > On Nov 14, 9:32 pm, Roy Schestowitz
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Microsoft expands Office 'pay-as-you-go' rental program

    > > ,----[ Quote ]
    > > | Via the pay-as-you-go program, users can choose three- or six-month
    > > | subscriptions to Office Professional 2007 and pay a monthly fee to use the
    > > | product.
    > > `----

    > Just when I thought their sow

    Hit send button by accident, sorry.

    Just when I thought their software couldn't get any more expensive,
    they come up with this. From their point of view, this might scream
    huge profits, but I bet users will just get fed up eventually and go
    open source, for the most part.

  3. Re: Microsoft Pulls Another RIAA: DRM on Software (aka "Rent, Not Own")

    ____/ bmillerjacobson@gmail.com on Thursday 15 November 2007 04:15 : \____

    > On Nov 14, 11:12 pm, "bmillerjacob...@gmail.com"
    > wrote:
    >> On Nov 14, 9:32 pm, Roy Schestowitz
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Microsoft expands Office 'pay-as-you-go' rental program

    >> > ,----[ Quote ]
    >> > `----

    >> Just when I thought their sow

    > Hit send button by accident, sorry.
    >
    > Just when I thought their software couldn't get any more expensive,
    > they come up with this. From their point of view, this might scream
    > huge profits, but I bet users will just get fed up eventually and go
    > open source, for the most part.

    In many cases, it's down to officials and CIOs, who are easily corrupted. See
    the OP which includes a very recent example from Nigeria.

    Microsoft thrives in a world of bribery and fraud.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Previously-unsurpassed exposure makes carnation-faced men
    Tasks: 135 total, 1 running, 134 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  4. Re: Microsoft Pulls Another RIAA: DRM on Software (aka "Rent, Not Own")

    ____/ [H]omer on Thursday 15 November 2007 06:58 : \____

    > Verily I say unto thee, that bmillerjacobson@gmail.com spake thusly:
    >
    >> Just when I thought their software couldn't get any more expensive,
    >> they come up with this. From their point of view, this might scream
    >> huge profits, but I bet users will just get fed up eventually and go
    >> open source, for the most part.

    > It's the proprietary software [1] industry's wet dream ... subscription
    > only, no purchase, thus ensuring that everyone who uses their "IP" pays
    > over and over and over again, for the "privilege" of accessing the same
    > "IP", in perpetuity.
    >
    > [1] Software in the larger sense including music, video, computer code,
    > and even written publications.

    Planned obsolescence. The fashion industry is pretty much the same, but it
    can't /force/ these issue. It's just a social force (peer pressure).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Microsoft's Counter-Supportive Evangelist (MCSE)
    Mem: 515500k total, 444440k used, 71060k free, 1644k buffers

  5. Re: Microsoft Pulls Another RIAA: DRM on Software (aka "Rent, NotOwn")

    bmillerjacobson wrote:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Microsoft expands Office 'pay-as-you-go' rental program
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> Via the pay-as-you-go program, users can choose three- or
    >>> six-month subscriptions to Office Professional 2007 and
    >>> pay a monthly fee to use the product.
    >>> `----

    > Just when I thought their software couldn't get any more
    > expensive, they come up with this. From their point of view,
    > this might scream huge profits, but I bet users will just get
    > fed up eventually and go open source, for the most part.

    Actually what I find appalling is the essence of greed, rather
    than value added, cost effective, feature rich, most wanted
    customer items, etc. focus.

    Why 'pay-as-you-go' when the Sun professionally developed
    StarOffice and free OpenOffice are feature rich products, well
    suited for most office automation applications.

    I remember writers using Wordstar 3.0 in CP/M-80 write their
    novels, thesis, research papers, etc. They were productive. I
    was productive. The latest StarOffice is definitely more than
    that. For one, I still find WordPerfect 6.1 for Windows 3.1 much
    easier to work with than MS Word. How much more then, OpenOffice.

    That one must have a particular brand of proprietary, monopolised
    software to be productive is simply gob****e, pure and simple.

    --
    HPT

  6. Re: Microsoft Pulls Another RIAA: DRM on Software (aka "Rent, Not Own")

    ____/ High Plains Thumper on Thursday 15 November 2007 11:01 : \____

    > bmillerjacobson wrote:

    >> Just when I thought their software couldn't get any more
    >> expensive, they come up with this. From their point of view,
    >> this might scream huge profits, but I bet users will just get
    >> fed up eventually and go open source, for the most part.

    > Actually what I find appalling is the essence of greed, rather
    > than value added, cost effective, feature rich, most wanted
    > customer items, etc. focus.
    >
    > Why 'pay-as-you-go' when the Sun professionally developed
    > StarOffice and free OpenOffice are feature rich products, well
    > suited for most office automation applications.

    Great analogy and a great sign of things to come (with Oh-Oh-XML to ensure you
    can't escape with your crucial data):

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4ZhPI1eic4

    Yes, it's a new commercial.

    > I remember writers using Wordstar 3.0 in CP/M-80 write their
    > novels, thesis, research papers, etc. They were productive. I
    > was productive. The latest StarOffice is definitely more than
    > that. For one, I still find WordPerfect 6.1 for Windows 3.1 much
    > easier to work with than MS Word. How much more then, OpenOffice.
    >
    > That one must have a particular brand of proprietary, monopolised
    > software to be productive is simply gob****e, pure and simple.

    Let's see if the governments allow Microsoft get people 'addicted' (infected
    rather.... or locked in).

    Governments Must Reject Gates' $3 Bid to Addict Next Billion PC Users

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Microsoft's strategy of getting developing nations hooked on its
    | software was clearly outlined by Bill Gates almost a decade ago," said
    | Con Zymaris, CEO of long-standing open source firm Cybersource.
    |
    | Specifically, Bill Gates, citing China as an example, said:
    | ┬*
    | ┬* "Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but
    | ┬* people don't pay for the software," he said. "Someday they will, though.
    | ┬* As long as they are going to steal it, we want them to steal ours.
    | ┬* They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to
    | ┬* collect sometime in the next decade."[1]
    `----

    http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/...t_billion.html

    They also give trial versions now and do contracts with OEMs... everything to
    get people imprisoned by the proprietary format that is Oh Oh XML!! Oh oh!

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Microsof(fshore)t Window(ntime)s Vista(gnating)
    run-level 2 2007-10-30 19:49 last=

  7. Re: Microsoft Pulls Another RIAA: DRM on Software (aka "Rent, NotOwn")

    bmillerjacobson@gmail.com wrote:

    > On Nov 14, 11:12 pm, "bmillerjacob...@gmail.com"
    > wrote:
    >> On Nov 14, 9:32 pm, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> > Microsoft expands Office 'pay-as-you-go' rental program

    >> > ,----[ Quote ]
    >> > use the | product.
    >> > `----

    >> Just when I thought their sow

    > Hit send button by accident, sorry.
    >
    > Just when I thought their software couldn't get any more expensive, they
    > come up with this. From their point of view, this might scream huge
    > profits, but I bet users will just get fed up eventually and go open
    > source, for the most part.

    No surprise. They've been saying for years that they want to move to a
    subscription model. They already have it, effectively, with their
    corporate licensing plans...

  8. Re: Microsoft Pulls Another RIAA: DRM on Software (aka "Rent, Not Own")

    schreef in bericht
    > On Nov 14, 11:12 pm, "bmillerjacob...@gmail.com"
    > wrote:
    >> On Nov 14, 9:32 pm, Roy Schestowitz
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Microsoft expands Office 'pay-as-you-go' rental program

    >> > ,----[ Quote ]
    >> > use the
    >> > `----

    >> Just when I thought their sow

    > Hit send button by accident, sorry.

    Oh do **** off you irritating cunt!
    *plonk*

  9. Re: Microsoft Pulls Another RIAA: DRM on Software (aka "Rent, Not Own")

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, HangEveryRepubliKKKan

    wrote
    on Sat, 17 Nov 2007 03:43:52 -0800
    :

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote
    >> Planned obsolescence.

    > Designed into every product you purchase. Especially Automobiles.

    And, apparently, commercial closed-source operating systems.

    This is not to say Unix/Linux doesn't have some issues
    with obsolescence. The most obvious variant to me,
    admittedly, is the XrmResource system that used to be
    popular in Intrinsics and Motif.

    XrmResource is no longer used, and AFAIK never has been
    in KDE or Gnome. I suspect part of this is Windows again
    (that may sound paranoid, but bear with me); XrmResource
    does not exist in Windows and therefore KDE and Gnome had
    to develop to the lowest common denominator.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #10239993:
    char * f(char *p) {char *q = malloc(strlen(p)); strcpy(q,p); return q; }

  10. Re: Microsoft Pulls Another RIAA: DRM on Software (aka "Rent, NotOwn")

    HangEveryRepubliKKKan wrote:
    > "High Plains Thumper" wrote
    >
    >> Why 'pay-as-you-go' when the Sun professionally developed
    >> StarOffice and free OpenOffice are feature rich products,
    >> well suited for most office automation applications.
    >>
    >> I remember writers using Wordstar 3.0 in CP/M-80 write their
    >> novels, thesis, research papers, etc. They were productive.
    >> I was productive. The latest StarOffice is definitely more
    >> than that. For one, I still find WordPerfect 6.1 for
    >> Windows 3.1 much easier to work with than MS Word. How much
    >> more then, OpenOffice.

    > You are entirely missing the issue. Open Office is absolutely
    > good enough for the office. Notepad is good enough for the
    > office. But Open Office is absolutely good enough.

    That is a rather assumptive, arrogant reply from you. I have
    used both OpenOffice and Microsoft Office, along with other
    office automation suites over time. Even the free version
    OpenOffice, sans the additional features offered in commercial
    product StarOffice, is more than "just good enough". It is
    definitely suitable for the work environment.

    > The question is not is Open Office good enough. The question
    > is why isn't everyone using Open Office.

    You seem to have your blinders on, trollboi. The ranks are
    increasing with those who use alternate products to Microsoft.

    > When you have that answer you will know how to compete with
    > Microsoft.

    http://www.around.com/microsoft.html

    Before he installed Windows 95, John Dodge connected to the
    Internet using software from a Microsoft competitor, CompuServe's
    Internet in a Box. Not anymoreŚWindows 95 silently disabled a key
    piece of his setup and made it too difficult for him to reinstall it.
    Dodge is no novice. He is senior executive editor of the trade
    journal PC Week and so had access to the highest-level support
    engineers. But life is short and even software professionals
    learn to take the path of least resistanceŚin this case, the path
    leading to Microsoft. He has become a regular user of the new
    Microsoft Network, though he has trouble with its Internet features.
    Still, he believes Microsoft executives when they deny trying
    to gain market share by sabotaging competitors' software. He just
    wonders whether Microsoft "has a full appreciation of its actions
    in the market place."
    There is reason to believe that Microsoft does.
    There is a reason why Microsoft has monopolised the market with
    its software products. Above is an example of how Microsoft
    eliminated competing CompuServe's Internet in a Box.

    Microsoft makes decisions on other's people's software, without
    consulting them.

    The truth is not quite so innocent. Most Internet dial-up
    software written for Windows relies on a piece of software called
    winsock. Everyone's winsock is supposed to be more or less
    interchangeable with everyone else's, but differences do exist.
    Many vendors put their winsock into the Windows directory of the
    user's computerŚa friendly practice, since it is then available
    to other software that might need it, but a risky one, too. If
    Windows 95 sees a non-Microsoft winsock, it carefully and
    explicitly replaces it.
    I was unable to install WordPerfect 6.1 on Windows NT 4.0,
    because of a single dll with the name wp*.dll in the NT systems
    directory.

    Microsoft eliminates competition by its practises.

    > But you LinTards/UniTards haven't managed to figure it out
    > in the last 30 years.

    LOL, I get an electrifying charge when I hear these old, worn,
    bent cliches, from insulting trollbois like you. You are a riot,
    really.

    --
    HPT

+ Reply to Thread