[News] PS3 Sales Double in the US, Nintendo Has Shortage Due to Demand - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] PS3 Sales Double in the US, Nintendo Has Shortage Due to Demand - Linux ; Price cut boosts PlayStation 3 sales ,----[ Quote ] | U.S. sales of the PlayStation 3 more than doubled in the weeks after the | company slashed the video game console's price $100 and launched a low-end | model, Sony ...

  1. [News] PS3 Sales Double in the US, Nintendo Has Shortage Due to Demand

    Price cut boosts PlayStation 3 sales

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | U.S. sales of the PlayStation 3 more than doubled in the weeks after the
    | company slashed the video game console's price $100 and launched a low-end
    | model, Sony Corp. CEO Howard Stringer told The Associated Press Wednesday.
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071115/...ystation_sales

    Wii shortage warning

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | THE best-selling Wii console could be in short supply over the busy festive
    | season, Nintendo warned today.
    `----

    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....ss=yes?rss=yes
    http://tinyurl.com/2v7d6u

    XBox360 and PS3 get DivX support. XBox360 makes no headlines anymore.

    Related:

    PS3 + Linux + Firefox = Office 2.0 computing

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sony and a technology site are using a conference to show off a confluence of
    | next-generation, monopoly-bypassing technology: a Sony Playstation 3
    | videogame console running Linux and Firefox as a foundation for
    | Web-based "Office 2.0" applications. *
    |
    | IT|Redux, a site run by blogger and tech adviser Ismael Ghalimi, is showing
    | off the system at the Office 2.0 Conference in San Francisco. IT|Redux is the
    | show organizer. *
    `----

    http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9772115-1.html

    PS3 available pre-installed with Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | TerraSoft is now taking direct pre-orders with no delivery
    | time guarantees for a Sony PS3 pre-installed with Linux,
    | priced at $650.
    `----

    Astrophysicist Replaces Supercomputer with Eight PlayStation 3s

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The interest in the PS3 really was for two main reasons," explains Khanna, an
    | assistant professor at the University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth who
    | specializes in computational astrophysics. "One of those is that Sony did
    | this remarkable thing of making the PS3 an open platform, so you can in fact
    | run Linux on it and it doesn't control what you do." * *
    `----

    http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/news..._supercomputer

    Old:

    Best New Console - Sony PlayStation 3

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sony's embrace of the PS3 as a computer rather than just a console
    | and the availability of supported Linux distributions for the
    | console will also develop and will likely bear entirely unexpected
    | fruit in future.
    |
    | Runner-Up:
    | Nintendo Wii
    `----

    http://bestof.ign.com/2006/gear/1.html

    Sony's PS3 Could Still Outsell Microsoft's XBox 360 in 2006

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Should the Playstation 3 end up in second place this Christmas season,
    | Sony shouldn't feel too badly. The #1 selling console at the moment
    | remains the Playstation 3, which sold nearly a million units in
    | November, and will probably sell nearly double that in December.
    `----

    http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/06...1_id.html?.v=1

    Strategy Analytics: The Pressure is on Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Research firm Strategy Analytics claims that with the PS3 now
    | launching the pressure is actually on Microsoft to convince
    | consumers and loyal PlayStation gamers to "switch camps."
    | Ultimately, the firm sees Sony trouncing the competition with
    | over 120 million units sold by 2012.
    `----

    http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=14480

  2. Re: [News] PS3 Sales Double in the US, Nintendo Has Shortage Due to Demand

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Price cut boosts PlayStation 3 sales
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| U.S. sales of the PlayStation 3 more than doubled in the weeks after the
    >| company slashed the video game console's price $100 and launched a low-end
    >| model, Sony Corp. CEO Howard Stringer told The Associated Press Wednesday.
    > `----
    >
    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071115/...ystation_sales

    Interesting - weekly sales up by factor of 2.5 - pretty amazing.

    If you can trust the numbers, there were around 9.3 million Wiis in
    circulation last month, compared with 5 million PS3s and 11.6 million
    Xbox360s. The Xboxes have been on sale for twice as long as the Wii and
    PS3 approximately. There are expected to be an amazing 22 million
    Wiis in circulation by March 08. Assuming Sony's sales continue at
    their new 2.5 times rate, then whilst they would've been at about 9
    million, they will be at around 15 million by the same date.

  3. Re: [News] PS3 Sales Double in the US, Nintendo Has Shortage Due to Demand

    ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 16 November 2007 22:19 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> Price cut boosts PlayStation 3 sales
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| U.S. sales of the PlayStation 3 more than doubled in the weeks after the
    >>| company slashed the video game console's price $100 and launched a low-end
    >>| model, Sony Corp. CEO Howard Stringer told The Associated Press Wednesday.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071115/...ystation_sales
    >>

    > Interesting - weekly sales up by factor of 2.5 - pretty amazing.
    >
    > If you can trust the numbers, there were around 9.3 million Wiis in
    > circulation last month, compared with 5 million PS3s and 11.6 million
    > Xbox360s. The Xboxes have been on sale for twice as long as the Wii and
    > PS3 approximately. There are expected to be an amazing 22 million
    > Wiis in circulation by March 08. Assuming Sony's sales continue at
    > their new 2.5 times rate, then whilst they would've been at about 9
    > million, they will be at around 15 million by the same date.

    Amazingly, even the MSBBC and MSCNN have reported this news. The sales /more/
    than doubled (I only realised this later on).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: There are five regular polyhedra
    Cpu(s): 26.3%us, 4.3%sy, 1.0%ni, 64.1%id, 4.0%wa, 0.2%hi, 0.2%si, 0.0%st

  4. Re: [News] PS3 Sales Double in the US, Nintendo Has Shortage Due to Demand

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 16 November 2007 22:19 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> Price cut boosts PlayStation 3 sales
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071115/...ystation_sales
    >>>

    >> Interesting - weekly sales up by factor of 2.5 - pretty amazing.
    >>
    >> If you can trust the numbers, there were around 9.3 million Wiis in
    >> circulation last month, compared with 5 million PS3s and 11.6 million
    >> Xbox360s. The Xboxes have been on sale for twice as long as the Wii and
    >> PS3 approximately. There are expected to be an amazing 22 million
    >> Wiis in circulation by March 08. Assuming Sony's sales continue at
    >> their new 2.5 times rate, then whilst they would've been at about 9
    >> million, they will be at around 15 million by the same date.

    > Amazingly, even the MSBBC and MSCNN have reported this news. The sales /more/
    > than doubled (I only realised this later on).

    It's probably a source of some embarassment to the Ashley Highfields and
    Eric Huggers and Alistair Farquarsons of the world.