ESET Adds Linux Support

,----[ Quote ]
| “As organizations continue to grow their Linux network infrastructure, they
| will require highly scalable and robust security solutions that will tightly
| integrate with their Linux environments,” said Miroslav Trnka, co-founder and
| CTO of ESET.
`----

http://www.darkreading.com/document....6&WT.svl=wire_

Developer crafts Linux support for Logitech Harmony remote controls

,----[ Quote ]
| Logitech's Harmony series of programmable universal remote controls ship with
| Windows and Mac OS X configuration programs. That wasn't enough for Phil
| Dibowitz, though -- he set out to build his own Linux support.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/121149

Are PC Manufacturers Killing Vista ?

,----[ Quote ]
| Certainly the first thing I did with this machine when I returned to work on
| Monday was to get it prepared to be “upgraded” to Windows XP Tablet Edition!
| This movement towards reloading XP is growing fast and is without doubt a
| part of the drive towards consumers switching to OS X and Macs. From my
| personal experience over the last 12 months I have seen at least 6 friends
| and relatives move to Mac and not one of them has regretted it or would ever
|
| I think Microsoft have some serious re-thinking to do. This is a view shared
| by a growing number of industry trend setters. John C Dvorak covers this very
| topic in his recent post entitled The Vista Death Watch.
|
| Certainly makes you glad you switched don’t it ?
`----

http://ukmac.net/2007/11/14/are-pc-m...killing-vista/

Vista is "Killing PC Manufacturers" as well. They need to get out of this
relationship, which they gradually do when they preinstall GNU/Linux.

Related:

I can use my Conectiv under Linux, but not Vista. Why, again?

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2007/0...sta-why-again/

Related:

A Vista vs. Linux Matchup

,----[ Quote ]
| Putting aside Apple hardware, where all the software works with
| all the hardware so long as it's all up to the minute, I found
| that MEPIS actually has better hardware support for this PC
| than Vista.
|
| [...]
|
| Adding insult to injury, since DRM protection schemes must
| evolve constantly, to stay ahead of hackers tearing them down,
| I have little doubt that one day you'll come home to find that
| a Vista update to DRM-protection has just locked you out of your
| media collection. You know, the same collection, which had
| worked just fine the day before. Repeat after me: DRM does
| not belong in operating systems.
`----

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT9325931427.html

Linux Hardware Support

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's the problem with that argument: Most hardware does not
| work "Out of the box" in Windows. When people say their hardware
| worked "Out of the box" I don't think they are talking about "Out
| of the blue Windows XP box." What I think they mean is "Out of
| the Dell box."
|
| [...]
|
| The catch is that you must buy hardware that is supported by the
| software you intend to run on it. Is this really so unreasonable?
| Would you buy a Sun Spark workstation and try to run Windows on it?
`----

http://www.jeeperscats.com/?p=7

Kernel Comparison for Linux (2.6.18) verses Windows (2003 R2)

,----[ Quote ]
| Architectures: *Linux * Windows
| * PC x86 * * * *Y * * * Y
| * PC AMD64 * * *Y * * * Y
| * PC IA-64 * * *Y * * * Y
| * Alpha * * * * Y * * * N
| * PPC * * * * * Y * * * N
| * PPC64 * * * * Y * * * N
| * SPARC32 * * * Y * * * N
| * SPARC64 * * * Y * * * N
| * ARM * * * * * Y * * * N
| * HP PA-RISC * *Y * * * N
| * Moto 680x0 * *Y * * * N
| * MIPS * * * * *Y * * * N
| * MIPS (DEC) * *Y * * * N
| * PowerPC * * * Y * * * N
| * IBM S/390 * * Y * * * N
| * Cell * * * * *Y * * * N
| * others * * * *Y * * * N
`----

http://widefox.pbwiki.com/Kernel%20C...20vs%20Windows

64-Bit Linux Spotlighted at Gelato ICE: Itanium Conference & Expo

,----[ Quote ]
| Attendee favorites included keynotes on Linux kernel development for
| Itanium architecture by the Linux 2.6 kernel maintainer, Andrew
| Morton, and the Itanium processor vision and roadmap by Intel's
| James Fister.
`----

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...49&newsLang=en

More Fun With Printing

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall, if you choose your printers carefully, printing on
| Linux is powerhouse, and getting better all the time.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog..._printing.html

Meet the new Linux kernel: 2.6.21

,----[ Quote ]
| It took longer than Linux creator Linus Torvalds would have liked,
| but the latest Linux kernel, version 2.6.21, has arrived. It brings
| many minor and major changes in how Linux handles process scheduling
| and time.
`----

Free Linux Driver Development!

,----[ Quote ]
| Yes, that's right, the Linux kernel community is offering all
| companies free Linux driver development. No longer do you have
| to suffer through all of the different examples in the Linux
| Device Driver Kit, or pick through the thousands of example
| drivers in the Linux kernel source tree trying to determine
| which one is the closest to what you need to do.
`----

http://www.kroah.com/log/2007/01/29/#free_drivers

Is There Perfection in The Linux Kernel?

,----[ Quote ]
| In a perfect world, you could compile a brand-new Linux kernel
| without the need for much configuration and without error.
|
| According to Linus Torvalds, the new 2.6.19 Linux kernel is such
| an entity.
|
| "It's one of those rare "perfect" kernels," Torvalds wrote in a
| Linux kernel mailing list posting announcing the new kernel.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/article.php/3646456

WPA wireless "just works" in Ubuntu 7.04

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows XP is normally thought to have great support for wireless
| networks. This is true for some networks, but many secure
| wireless networks require the user to perform multiple complex
| steps to configure the correct security and authentication
| settings. To see what I mean, just look at these instructions
| to connect to various University wireless networks.
|
| On the other hand, the Mac OS X interface looks very similar
| to Ubuntu 7.04. Just like Ubuntu, it will allow you to
| painlessly connect to secure wireless networks.
`----

http://useopensource.blogspot.com/20...buntu-704.html
http://tinyurl.com/2df6gk

Ubuntu and wireless - now better than Windows!

,----[ Quote ]
| For years, Linux has had a reputation of being notoriously bad for
| wireless access, whether through access points, ad-hoc, whatever.
| But the new KWirelessNetwork applet thats included in the new
| Kubuntu beta is just incredible.
`----

http://evolvedlight.co.uk/?p=20

Windows Vista Compatibility Problems

,----[ Quote ]
| What the Microsoft CEO didn't mention is that products from Adobe
| Systems, IBM, Symantec, and a number of other high-profile developers
| didn't make the list of Vista-friendly applications that Microsoft says
| are either fully certified for Windows Vista or will at least run
| relatively trouble-free on the new OS.
`----

http://www.geekstuffs.com/2007/05/03...lity-problems/

Windows Help files not supported in Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| For all the effort they put into building operating systems
| that are backwards-compatible, they then go and choose not to
| include support for Help files that are built to use the
| old WinHlp32.exe program.
`----

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/02...rted-in-vista/

Vista and iTunes Don't Play Nice Together

,----[ Quote ]
| Various folks are reporting that you cannot authorize iTunes
| (for WIndows) on Vista to play things purchased from the iTunes Store.
`----

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/02/01/vista...nice-together/

Lack of Internal Talks at Microsoft, Google

,----[ Quote ]
| Maybe my "Microsoft's Entertainment Domination" theory was a bit
| premature. Apparently, the Zune MP3 player isn't flying off shelves
| and now it turns out that the Zune is incompatible with Microsoft'
| latest Windows Vista operating system. Amazing how a disconnect like
| this can occur within an organization. Software start-ups are taking
| advantage of the lowered development costs and the speedy development
| time -- and forcing large software organizations to speed up their
| own development cycles, but in the process, the large organizations
| are fumbling to communicate effectively amongst their departments.
`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/11/15...rosoft-google/

Adobe Has No Plans To Make Current Products Windows Vista Compatible

,----[ Quote ]
| Adobe says it has no plans to issue updates to the current versions
| of its products to ensure Windows Vista compatibility.
`----

Old:

Visual Studio vs. Vista: What's going on here?

,----[ Quote ]
| * Visual Basic 6.0 (supported)
| * Visual Studio .NET 2002 (not supported)
| * Visual Studio .NET 2003 (not supported)
| * Visual Studio 2005 (supported, but will have "compatibility issues"
| until some nebulous set of post-SP1 fixes ships)
`----

http://www.theserverside.net/news/th...hread_id=42426

Windows Vista: Work In Progress

,----[ Quote ]
| Already, the list of non-compatible applications or hardware is fairly
| long. Microsoft's own Vista updates add to the number of third-partyp
| atches on which businesses will have to conduct compatibility testing.
| The burden is yet another reason to see slow business deployments in
| the early months following Windows Vista's release.
`----

SQL Server 2005 SP1 won't work with Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| It's no secret that a number of applications, including
| several of Microsoft's own, are not going to work properly
| with Windows Vista when the product ships.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=71

Vista Breaks Applications

,----[ Quote ]