[News] More Reasons Given for Russians to Use Linux and Free Software - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] More Reasons Given for Russians to Use Linux and Free Software - Linux ; Russia Casts A Selective Net in Piracy Crackdown ,----[ Quote ] | The newspaper Novaya Gazeta, one of the last outposts of critical journalism | in Russia, suspended publication of its regional edition in the southern city | of Samara ...

  1. [News] More Reasons Given for Russians to Use Linux and Free Software

    Russia Casts A Selective Net in Piracy Crackdown

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The newspaper Novaya Gazeta, one of the last outposts of critical journalism
    | in Russia, suspended publication of its regional edition in the southern city
    | of Samara on Monday after prosecutors opened a criminal case against its
    | editor, alleging that his publication used unlicensed software.
    `----

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...302070_pf.html

    Related:

    Russian Linux (ALTLinux) to be installed in every school in Russia

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Russian OS is to be installed on every school computer in Russia by 2009.
    | Furthermore, every pupil will get the opportunity to operate the applied
    | software produced in Russia, Leonid Reiman, acting Minister of Communication
    | stated at a press conference. According to Mr. Reiman, that might
    | significantly reduce Russian dependence on foreign software. * *
    `----

    http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn...%2F14%2F266177

    Linux being launched at schools

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Besides the operating system the package is to comprise some freely
    | distributed programs, close to MS Office by their functionality, which are to
    | be used on computers with the following characteristics: 233 MHz and 128MB
    | DDR. *
    `----

    http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn...7/10/25/272200

    Russian public agencies choose Mandriva

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mandriva development is carried out jointly by Mandriva's offices in Russia,
    | France and Brazil. The Mandriva Linux OS is thus considered a national OS for
    | Russia. The decision of FSTEC of the Russian Federation (RF) implied that
    | Russian public agencies will be authorised to use the Mandriva Linux OS on
    | PCs running confidential information. * *
    `----

    http://www.mandriva.com/company/pres...hoose_mandriva

    Russian Government Will Migrate to OpenSource

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Russia decided to follow after EU countries, where opensource
    | solutions are more spread then in Russia. Currently, some Russian
    | companies can offer their own Desktop Linux OS (the major companies
    | are ASPLinux, ALTLinux, Linux-Online and LinuxCenter).
    `----

    http://danays.blogspot.com/2006/12/r...igrate-to.html

    Russian schools abandon Windows after piracy scare

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft says that the incident has nothing to do with them, but it
    | appears that Russian schools in the area are so scared about being shipped
    | off to a Siberian Gulag, that they are buying Linux gear instead.
    |
    | [..]
    |
    | According to Karpushin, schools would start using freely distributed
    | software like the Linux OS, Russky office and Open office desktop apps,
    | Ekho Moskvi reports.
    `----

    Linux Education in America: Inspiration from Russia?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The reason that the Russian announcement is funny boils down to the
    | perception over the years that Russia equates to totalitarianism, whilst here
    | in America we're all about Freedom and innovation. Yet our educational
    | system -- the very underpinnings of how we're growing out future
    | technological talent, is based upon the inversion of what one would expect
    | given the respective reputations of both countries. * *
    `----

    Russia is latest country to move towards OpenDocument format and open standards *

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The stated rationale for this legislation is that “open standards will
    | contribute to an increased number of bidders for government contracts and
    | will increase opportunities for Russian software developers... [and] the
    | problem of interoperability will be addressed as will the ability to access
    | information into the future.” * *
    `----

    http://www.itrportal.com/absolutenm/...4410&zoneid=57

  2. Re: [News] More Reasons Given for Russians to Use Linux and FreeSoftware

  3. Re: [News] More Reasons Given for Russians to Use Linux and Free Software

    ____/ ed on Thursday 15 November 2007 14:45 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Russia Casts A Selective Net in Piracy Crackdown
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | The newspaper Novaya Gazeta, one of the last outposts of critical
    >> | journalism in Russia, suspended publication of its regional edition in the
    >> | southern city of Samara on Monday after prosecutors opened a criminal case
    >> | against its editor, alleging that his publication used unlicensed
    >> | software.
    >> `----

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...302070_pf.html

    > Hi Roy,
    >
    > In some ways I am pleased that the journalists are forced to pay for
    > what they use, or on the other hand, look into ways of continuing to
    > publish, but with smaller over heads.
    >
    > I think the motives for this are more serious than just software though.
    > Really, no one gives a **** about windows, although they should be
    > aware of it's flaws. In Russia journalists are always the target of the
    > government - Putin will use what he can to hold the press from writing
    > anything derogatory about the government.
    >
    > It is also typical in Russia to phone the police when a competitor is
    > suspected of not paying software costs - it's very dirty, but it
    > happens. Russia is known as 'land of free photoshop' but it's also
    > becoming apparent that this is a problem for free enterprise.

    I know a journalist who, in order to escape any possible or a smear or a
    lawsuit, must carefully watch every little step. Yes... they are always some
    companies who want to take some people down, so to speak. The least one can do
    is escape any risk of litigation (bogus or real, justified or not).

    The world is nuts.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "The only source is Open Source"

  4. Re: [News] More Reasons Given for Russians to Use Linux and FreeSoftware

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > ____/ ed on Thursday 15 November 2007 14:45 : \____

+ Reply to Thread