[News] Linux GPU Performance to Improve Further - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Linux GPU Performance to Improve Further - Linux ; Kernel space: Memory management for graphics processors ,----[ Quote ] | The CPU and the GPU share access to some pages of memory. New Linux code | helps the kernel keep track of memory holding data for the GPU. `---- ...

  1. [News] Linux GPU Performance to Improve Further

    Kernel space: Memory management for graphics processors

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The CPU and the GPU share access to some pages of memory. New Linux code
    | helps the kernel keep track of memory holding data for the GPU.
    `----

    http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/...rss-linux-news

    In some benchmarks, Linux already beats Windows in terms of performance when it
    comes to GPUs, which arguably makes is a better gaming platform.

    Related:

    ATI: Linux vs. Windows Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Wow! We were completely blown away when our final results came in and the
    | Linux 8.42.3 driver had outperformed Windows Vista with Catalyst 7.10 in
    | Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. It wasn't just a neck-and-neck race but Linux
    | was about 10 frames per second faster when running at 1280 x 1024 and 1680 x
    | 1050. * *
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=897&num=3

    SL Speed Showdown: Linux Tops Windoze

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This was not a scientific study - only a small test which confirmed what I
    | thought I had "felt" already while using Second Life on my new PC.
    `----

    http://www.secondlifeherald.com/slh/...ed-showdo.html

    [Microsoft MVP] Foray into Feisty Fawn helped me take back my MIPS

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Long story short - World of Warcraft runs faster under Ubuntu/Wine than
    | natively under Windows XP Professional.
    `----

    http://msmvps.com/blogs/plenderj/arc...k-my-mips.aspx

    Does WINE + Linux support more Windows apps than Vista?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | WINE supports most of the applications which are made for Windows
    | 2.0 up to Windows XP. WINE has the ability to run different versions
    | of IE, run most of Adobe's products, run World of Warcraft, Half Life
    | 2, Microsoft Office 2003, XP, 2000 and 97, Visio, Quicken,
    |
    | * * * Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars
    | * * * Need for Speed Carbon
    | * *
    | [...]
    |
    | What about drivers, hardware support, and upgrades?
    |
    | Want to upgrade you XP to Vista? no chance. might as well do a fresh
    | install and shell out $300.
    `----

    http://jagtalon.wordpress.com/2007/0...ps-than-vista/

    Linux FPS [PCLinuxOS]

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A few weeks ago I installed PCLinuxOS 2007 and I'm very impressed
    | with it. One of the things I like is their package manager--everything
    | is there, you don't need to add any extra repositories (a popular
    | distro that starts with "U" infuriates me with all the mucking
    | around you have to do), and there are never any issues with
    | unresolved dependencies.
    |
    | Anyway, last week I downloaded through the package manager a
    | game called Sauerbraten. It's a great multi player FPS. It's
    | completely free and very entertaining to play.
    `----

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz/VanAlstine/3051

    Because penguins need to play too.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Windows camp have a lot of great games to play and a popular
    | misconception is that Linux is lacking in games. That is not true.
    | There are literally thousands of games for Linux. In fact a lot of
    | them have been ported to Windows too.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | There are both free and commercial games available. Some of the best
    | ones I really like are America's Army, Tremulous and Enemy Territory.
    `----

    http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/loc...play-too-14767

    ET:QW Linux Demo Coming TODAY

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | We told you three days ago that the Enemy Territory: Quake Wars Linux demo
    | was coming very soon. Well, we've just received confirmation that the Linux
    | demo client will be available today! A new ET:QW Windows demo update is
    | coming out about noon (CST) and the Linux demo will be out within a few hours
    | after that. We'll have more information then. * *
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjEyNg

  2. Re: [News] Linux GPU Performance to Improve Further

  3. Re: [News] Linux GPU Performance to Improve Further

+ Reply to Thread