October Leopard sales outpace Windows in Japan - Linux

This is a discussion on October Leopard sales outpace Windows in Japan - Linux ; Though Apple has only seen a "modest" increase in Mac shipments to Japan lately, sales of Mac OS X Leopard has reportedly leapfrogged past Windows in the country. It now claims 53.9 percent of Japan's OS- only market in October, ...

  1. October Leopard sales outpace Windows in Japan

    Though Apple has only seen a "modest" increase in Mac shipments to
    Japan lately, sales of Mac OS X Leopard has reportedly leapfrogged
    past Windows in the country. It now claims 53.9 percent of Japan's OS-
    only market in October, according to Japan's Business Computer News.
    Mac OS X sales increased from 15.5 to 60.5 percent year-over-year,
    while Windows suffered a sudden drop from 75.3 to 28.7 percent over
    the same period.

    [Lots of qualifications of the story]

    Still, it's a nice accomplishment for Apple, and one we wouldn't be
    surprised to see the company brag about it in the next earnings
    statement.

    http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...ndows-in-japan

  2. Re: October Leopard sales outpace Windows in Japan

    On 2007-11-14, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    > Though Apple has only seen a "modest" increase in Mac shipments to
    > Japan lately, sales of Mac OS X Leopard has reportedly leapfrogged
    > past Windows in the country. It now claims 53.9 percent of Japan's OS-
    > only market in October, according to Japan's Business Computer News.
    > Mac OS X sales increased from 15.5 to 60.5 percent year-over-year,
    > while Windows suffered a sudden drop from 75.3 to 28.7 percent over
    > the same period.
    >
    > [Lots of qualifications of the story]
    >
    > Still, it's a nice accomplishment for Apple, and one we wouldn't be
    > surprised to see the company brag about it in the next earnings
    > statement.
    >

    > http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...ndows-in-japan

    What will be nice is if this keeps up. But we'll have to see more data
    first. Hell, last week XBox360 outsold PS3 in Japan, but that was
    because "Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation" was released, which was the
    #2 game that week (no PS3 games made the top 10). I'll be shocked if
    360 beats PS3 next week.

  3. Re: October Leopard sales outpace Windows in Japan

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > Hell, last week XBox360 outsold PS3 in Japan ..

    Do you have an sources for that assertion ...

  4. Re: October Leopard sales outpace Windows in Japan

    On 2007-11-15, Doug Mentohl wrote:
    > Tim Smith wrote:
    >
    >> Hell, last week XBox360 outsold PS3 in Japan ..

    > Do you have an sources for that assertion ...

  5. Re: October Leopard sales outpace Windows in Japan

    On Nov 16, 9:51 am, Tim Smith wrote:

    > On 2007-11-15, Doug Mentohl wrote:

    > > Tim Smith wrote:

    >>> Hell, last week XBox360 outsold PS3 in Japan ..

    >> Do you have an sources for that assertion ...

    Anything else apart from a blog entry ...

  6. Re: October Leopard sales outpace Windows in Japan

    On Nov 16, 5:09 am, Doug Mentohl wrote:
    > On Nov 16, 9:51 am, Tim Smith wrote:

    > >> Do you have an sources for that assertion ...

    > Anything else apart from a blog entry ...

    Seems that "blog entries" are enough for Roy Schestowitz to post
    something as being [News]. That lying scumbag even once posted a link
    to his own blog-entry and called it news. How convenient... post a
    bull**** blog-entry that you wrote on your own web-site then post a
    link here to it and call it News.

    Aside from that, are you too stupid to read. Look at the bottom of the
    page where the blog entry lists the source of the detailed figures as
    being "Media Create"

    Google for this and the first hit that's returned is the source.

    Again, are you really this stupid, this lazy or both?

  7. Re: October Leopard sales outpace Windows in Japan

    On 2007-11-16, Doug Mentohl wrote:
    > On Nov 16, 9:51 am, Tim Smith wrote:

    >>> Do you have an sources for that assertion ...

    > Anything else apart from a blog entry ...

    The source of the numbers is Media Create. Gamesarefun is a news site
    that I used because they happen to post the Media Create numbers every
    week when they come out.

    If you'd prefer to get the same numbers from somewhere else, there are
    Japan charts by week here:

    They have the week after the one I cited now, and as I expected PS3 is
    ahead again. (Actually, it is even ahead of Wii in the week ending Nov
    11, because of a price cut and I think a new controller, but even
    without that, it would be back to ahead of 360, because the 360 boost
    was due to a particular game coming out. And next week, I expect Wii to
    be back ahead of PS3, because the PS3 boost is probably just a spike
    from people who were waiting for the price cut. Without some killer
    games, it is not going to touch Wii consistently).

  8. Re: October Leopard sales outpace Windows in Japan

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > On 2007-11-16, Doug Mentohl wrote:

    >> Anything else apart from a blog entry ...

    > The source of the numbers is Media Create ..

    Your source was a blog entry on a games site. According to the original
    website PS3 was at TWO with Xbox at FIVE

    http://www.m-create.com/ranking/

    Path:news.datemas.de!newsfeed.datemas.de!news.germ any.com!out04b.usenetserver.com!news.usenetserver. com!in02.usenetserver.com!news.usenetserver.com!po stnews.google.com!f13g2000hsa.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
    From: Sinister Midget
    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    Subject: Re: October Leopard sales outpace Windows in Japan
    Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 05:16:04 -0800 (PST)

    fake Sinister Midget wrote:

    > Seems ..

  10. Re: October Leopard sales outpace Windows in Japan

    On 2007-11-17, Doug Mentohl wrote:
    >> On 2007-11-16, Doug Mentohl wrote:

    >>> Anything else apart from a blog entry ...

    >> The source of the numbers is Media Create ..

    > Your source was a blog entry on a games site. According to the original
    > website PS3 was at TWO with Xbox at FIVE
    >
    > http://www.m-create.com/ranking/

    You are (1) looking at the softare chart, not the hardware chart (scroll
    way down for hardware), *and* (2) it is for the wrong week. Two weeks
    ago, 360 outsold PS3 in Japan. Deal with it. Last week, PS3 outsold
    both 360 and Wii. Next week, it will probably be between them, like
    normal, although it depends on how long the spike from the price drop
    lasts.

  11. Re: October Leopard sales outpace Windows in Japan

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > You are (1) looking at the softare chart, not the hardware chart (scroll way down for hardware) ..

    It does say Model ..

    機種 販売台数
    Sales Model

    DSL 78,854
    PSP 58,964
    PS3 55,924
    Wii 34,546
    PS2 9,043
    Xbox360 5,817
    GBM 708
    GBASP 211
    GC 69
    DS 30
    GBA 4

    http://www.m-create.com/ranking/

    --

    This forum is not about Linux. It's vicious Microsoft FUD. Don't bother
    posting if you are a Linux person and don't believe a word you read here.

  12. Re: October Leopard sales outpace Windows in Japan

    On 2007-11-18, Doug Mentohl wrote:
    > Tim Smith wrote:
    >
    >> You are (1) looking at the softare chart, not the hardware chart (scroll way down for hardware) ..

    > It does say Model ..
    >
    > 機種 販売台数
    > Sales Model
    >
    > DSL 78,854
    > PSP 58,964
    > PS3 55,924
    > Wii 34,546
    > PS2 9,043
    > Xbox360 5,817
    > GBM 708
    > GBASP 211
    > GC 69
    > DS 30
    > GBA 4
    >
    > http://www.m-create.com/ranking/

    Yes, you've now found the right chart. Your prior post was citing the
    software chart (you cited the position of a PS3 game and a 360 game, and
    took those as the console positions).

    Now all you have to do is find the right week. For the week ending
    November 4th, the 360 outsold the PS3 in Japan. Just as I predicted,
    the next week (the week you are now citing), it did not. Normal weekly
    sales in Japan are about 12-15k for PS3, and around 3-5k for 360.

    Unless you can read Japanese, you really will have a much easier time
    just getting the data from gamesarefun.com (which posts it every week)
    or from vgchartz.com, which not only has the data going way back,
    letting you select it by week or month, it lets you do neat charts with
    it.

+ Reply to Thread