Channel 4 On demand - Linux

This is a discussion on Channel 4 On demand - Linux ; I missed a program on Tuesday night I would have liked to watch, so decide to use 4oD. [rant on] I should have known better, unless you use M$ you are discriminated against, no open access here. The other annoying ...

  1. Channel 4 On demand

    I missed a program on Tuesday night I would have liked to watch, so decide
    to use 4oD.

    [rant on]
    I should have known better, unless you use M$ you are discriminated against,
    no open access here. The other annoying bit is I can view video clips, but
    not watch a program that I could have taped and watched until the tape
    wears out, but because they have been sold on DRM by that multiply
    convicted company, that producer of bug ridden shoddy software propped up
    by large advertising budgets, I and anyone else who understand why open
    standards are so important, are pushed to one side. Wake up you corporate
    proles smell the roses Microsoft is dying, its as viable as George Bush
    winning a noble peace prize...

    [rant off]

    For all the good it will do I have written expressing what I think, does
    anybody have any links to organisations who are opposing this corporate
    stupidity?

    Jem..

  2. Re: Channel 4 On demand

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Jeremy Fisher belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > [rant off]

    Feel better?

    > For all the good it will do I have written expressing what I think, does
    > anybody have any links to organisations who are opposing this corporate
    > stupidity?

    Don't know for sure, but start at the Electronic Frontier Foundation
    (http://www.eff.org/).

    --
    Tux rox!

  3. Re: Channel 4 On demand

    Jeremy Fisher wrote:

    > I missed a program on Tuesday night I would have liked to watch, so decide
    > to use 4oD.
    >
    > [rant on]
    > I should have known better, unless you use M$ you are discriminated
    > against, no open access here. The other annoying bit is I can view video
    > clips, but not watch a program that I could have taped and watched until
    > the tape wears out, but because they have been sold on DRM by that
    > multiply convicted company, that producer of bug ridden shoddy software
    > propped up by large advertising budgets, I and anyone else who understand
    > why open standards are so important, are pushed to one side. Wake up you
    > corporate proles smell the roses Microsoft is dying, its as viable as
    > George Bush winning a noble peace prize...
    >
    > [rant off]
    >
    > For all the good it will do I have written expressing what I think, does
    > anybody have any links to organisations who are opposing this corporate
    > stupidity?
    >
    > Jem..

    Does anyone know if this is a Channel4 issue or is it a condition imposed on
    Channel4 by the film distributors as a condition for using them on an "on
    demand" basis. In any event writing to Channel4 is better than not writing
    to them. The BBC fiasco seems to be getting a fair amount of publicity now.
    Cheers,
    Att

  4. Re: Channel 4 On demand

    [H]omer espoused:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that Jeremy Fisher spake thusly:
    >
    >> I missed a program on Tuesday night I would have liked to watch, so
    >> decide to use 4oD.
    >>
    >> [rant on] I should have known better, unless you use M$ you are
    >> discriminated against,

    > I blogged about this at the beginning of the year:
    >
    > http://slated.org/ch4_microsoft_bias
    >
    > You'll see from the comments that I also Emailed CH4, and got a response
    > from Max Whitman (Channel 4 Customer Support).
    >
    > Much good it did, since apparently they continue to ignore viable cross
    > platform solutions, in favour of Microsoft's Monopoly-ware.

    Well, it's good to see that you really did get a response, and were able
    to point out that the claim that only Microsoft offer DRM is a microsoft
    marketing statement, and is not the truth. In fact, it's a lie. Any
    vendor who's prepared to lie to customers in such an overt way should
    never be considered for any contract.

    It would be good to highlight to senior Ch4 people how they have been
    lied to by their supplier.

  5. Re: Channel 4 On demand

    Attila wrote:

    > Jeremy Fisher wrote:
    >
    >> I missed a program on Tuesday night I would have liked to watch, so
    >> decide to use 4oD.
    >>
    >> [rant on]
    >> I should have known better, unless you use M$ you are discriminated
    >> against, no open access here. The other annoying bit is I can view video
    >> clips, but not watch a program that I could have taped and watched until
    >> the tape wears out, but because they have been sold on DRM by that
    >> multiply convicted company, that producer of bug ridden shoddy software
    >> propped up by large advertising budgets, I and anyone else who understand
    >> why open standards are so important, are pushed to one side. Wake up you
    >> corporate proles smell the roses Microsoft is dying, its as viable as
    >> George Bush winning a noble peace prize...
    >>
    >> [rant off]
    >>
    >> For all the good it will do I have written expressing what I think, does
    >> anybody have any links to organisations who are opposing this corporate
    >> stupidity?
    >>
    >> Jem..

    > Does anyone know if this is a Channel4 issue or is it a condition imposed
    > on Channel4 by the film distributors as a condition for using them on an
    > "on demand" basis. In any event writing to Channel4 is better than not
    > writing to them. The BBC fiasco seems to be getting a fair amount of
    > publicity now. Cheers,
    > Att

    Reply I got from C4, Interestingly I never made mention to Linux only open
    standards.

    Dear Jeremy,

    Thank you for your email regarding 4oD.

    Unfortunately we cannot say when the 4oD service will be available to users
    of other platforms, including Mac OS and Linux. The problem is, our content
    providers (e.g. the production companies who make our shows), insist on
    using a DRM licensing system.

    The DRM (Digital Rights Management) system basically protects the video
    content from duplication and broadcast outside the UK & ROI. Currently they
    insist on using Microsoft's DRM, and because of this we can only support
    Microsoft operating systems.

    Linux currently has no such DRM system available and so our content
    providers will not allow us to support the Linux operating system. Macintosh
    do have a solution, however the closed DRM system used by Apple is not
    currently available for licence by third parties and there is no other
    Mac-compatible DRM solution which meets the protection requirements of our
    content owners. Unfortunately, we are therefore unable to offer 4oD and
    other video content to Mac users at this stage.

    We are sorry to disappoint on this occasion and assure you that if changes
    throughout the industry happen, as we would like, we will ensure the support
    of other operating systems.

    If you require further information, feel free to email me back or visit
    http://help.channel4.com/4oD/

    Regards

    Randy Carragher
    Channel 4 Customer Support

    Please read our Terms and Conditions at
    http://www.channel4.com/4od/terms.html

    We've updated our website! Check out our new help section and FAQ's

    Channel 4 take no responsibility for third party websites

    Original Message Follows:
    ------------------------

    * * * Type=Email
    * * * Category=vodfeedback
    * * * Name: Jeremy Fisher
    * * * Problem Summary: Who can access 4oD?
    * * * Case:

    * * * Comments: I am very aggrieved to find that I have no access to 4oD, I
    would have liked to use this service, but find that I am being discriminated
    against due to my choice of operating system. What I find incredulous is the
    adoption of products to use this service provided by a corporation that *is
    anti competitive, and sells shoddy insecure products.
    Is it not about time Channel 4 adopted best business practice, stopped all
    collaboration with companies with a track record of court fines for illegal
    business practices, and move to open standards that allow all users access
    to you services.

    regards
    Jeremy Fisher

  6. Re: Channel 4 On demand

    ____/ [H]omer on Sunday 18 November 2007 13:25 : \____

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Jeremy Fisher spake thusly:
    >
    >> Reply I got from C4, Interestingly I never made mention to
    >> Linux only open standards.
    >>
    >> Dear Jeremy,
    >>
    >> Thank you for your email...

    > Ha!
    >
    > Looks familiar. It's just a template:
    >
    > http://slated.org/ch4_microsoft_bias#comment-108
    >
    > I didn't take no for an answer, and chased it up. Finally I got
    > something more than just a template - much good it did.

    I wonder if Ashley Highfield's "there are only 400-600 Linux users in the MSBBC
    Web site" remark is also part of the Microsoft-provided templates (FUD
    handbook).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | How I learned to stop worrying and love GNU/Linux
    22:20:04 up 19 days, 2:18, 4 users, load average: 0.45, 0.94, 1.45

  7. Re: Channel 4 On demand

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ [H]omer on Sunday 18 November 2007 13:25 : \____
    >
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that Jeremy Fisher spake thusly:
    >>
    >>> Reply I got from C4, Interestingly I never made mention to
    >>> Linux only open standards.
    >>>
    >>> Dear Jeremy,
    >>>
    >>> Thank you for your email...

    >> Ha!
    >>
    >> Looks familiar. It's just a template:
    >>
    >> http://slated.org/ch4_microsoft_bias#comment-108
    >>
    >> I didn't take no for an answer, and chased it up. Finally I got
    >> something more than just a template - much good it did.

    > I wonder if Ashley Highfield's "there are only 400-600 Linux users in the MSBBC
    > Web site" remark is also part of the Microsoft-provided templates (FUD
    > handbook).

    Don't forget that Ashley Highfield is ex-Microsoft anyway - he doesn't
    need a template - he's done this all his career.

  8. Re: Channel 4 On demand

    On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 22:21:31 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > I wonder if Ashley Highfield's "there are only 400-600 Linux users in the MSBBC

    I think you should stop with the 'MSBBC' bull**** *now*, Roy, it's
    starting to get tedious, as well as being wrong.

    --
    Kier

  9. Re: Channel 4 On demand

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Monday 19 November 2007 08:44 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> ____/ [H]omer on Sunday 18 November 2007 13:25 : \____

    >>> I wonder if Ashley Highfield's "there are only 400-600 Linux users in the
    >>> MSBBC Web site" remark is also part of the Microsoft-provided templates (FUD
    >>> handbook).
    >>>

    >> Don't forget that Ashley Highfield is ex-Microsoft anyway - he doesn't
    >> need a template - he's done this all his career.

    > Really? I though that was just Erik Huggers and that other top exec. Wow!
    > Microsoft has /really/ infected the BBC. The Kool-Aid and the vanity is
    > running in their blood stream now. It's infectious or inherited.

    I was pretty certain... perhaps I've made an error here.

    > This Kool-aid that I speak about is well demonstared by a bunch uv' stories:
    >
    > Google Goes Globe-Trotting
    >
    > ,----[ Quoet ]
    >| "Google is so different that it was almost impossible to reprogram them into
    >| this culture," says CEO Eric Schmidt.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.newsweek.com/id/67919

    People leaving Microsoft will surely have a difficult time adjusting to
    trying to work within a moral, ethical and legal framework which the
    rest of us would recognise. One almost wonders if they won't suffer
    some kind of post-trauma stress, as they begin to realise just what
    they've been doing all these years.

  10. Re: Channel 4 On demand

    ____/ Mark Kent on Monday 19 November 2007 09:27 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ____/ Mark Kent on Monday 19 November 2007 08:44 : \____
    >>
    >>> Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    >>> Don't forget that Ashley Highfield is ex-Microsoft anyway - he doesn't
    >>> need a template - he's done this all his career.

    >> Really? I though that was just Erik Huggers and that other top exec. Wow!
    >> Microsoft has /really/ infected the BBC. The Kool-Aid and the vanity is
    >> running in their blood stream now. It's infectious or inherited.

    > I was pretty certain... perhaps I've made an error here.

    Oops. I think I've passed on that error moments ago. Never mind. Broken
    telephone effect.

    >> This Kool-aid that I speak about is well demonstared by a bunch uv' stories:
    >>
    >> Google Goes Globe-Trotting
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quoet ]
    >>| "Google is so different that it was almost impossible to reprogram them
    >>| into this culture," says CEO Eric Schmidt.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.newsweek.com/id/67919
    >>

    > People leaving Microsoft will surely have a difficult time adjusting to
    > trying to work within a moral, ethical and legal framework which the
    > rest of us would recognise. One almost wonders if they won't suffer
    > some kind of post-trauma stress, as they begin to realise just what
    > they've been doing all these years.

    Cringely had an excellent article last year about Softies who retire and hide
    in the suburbs of Washington. They have guilt. They know what they have done.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: Digits 772-777 of Pi are 999999
    Tasks: 161 total, 1 running, 158 sleeping, 1 stopped, 1 zombie