Open source Java - one year later

| A year ago this week Sun finally bowed to pressure and agreed to make Java a
| free, open source project. It was an odd move given Sun's strong resistance
| to making Java open source for a more than a decade.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/1...a_anniversary/

Eclipse gets seat on Java board

,----[ Quote ]
| In a first for the open-source tooling organization, the Eclipse Foundation
| has won a seat on a Java Community Process (JCP) executive committee.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20...nfoworld/93375

Related:

Red Hat and Sun Collaborate to Advance Open Source Java Technology

,----[ Quote ]
| In addition, Red Hat has signed Sun's OpenJDK Community TCK License
| Agreement. This agreement gives the company access to the test suite that
| determines whether an implementation of the Java Platform Standard Edition
| (Java SE) platform that is derived from the OpenJDK project complies with the *
| Java SE 6 specification. *
`----

http://home.nestor.minsk.by/computer...7/11/0504.html

Open-source Java could result in port to iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| San Francisco - With the first anniversary of open-source Java coming up
| November 13, a Sun official believes the project could bear a sought-after
| fruit in the Java community: The porting of Java to the Apple iPhone. *
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20...nfoworld/93321

Sun set to open source Java products

,----[ Quote ]
| We won't see any huge wave until after that occurs. I suspect that the
| most interesting sort of case for that will be to see what will happen
| on the Linux platform, which is one of the reasons why GPL is such a
| prudent choice here [for Java].
|
| With a platform with a compatible licence to that of Linux ...what
| effect it will have on the Linux community and their use of Java on
| the Linux distribution it is a proof point.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...2572D8000377F1

McNealy says Sun evaluating OpenSolaris on GPL

,----[ Quote ]
| There have been nearly 8 million downloads of Solaris in the last
| two years, and there are 900 systems certified to run Solaris,
| which is more than any Linux distribution, McNealy said.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20...nfoworld/88402

Sun hopes for Linux-like Solaris

,----[ Quote ]
| Basic operations, such as the "ls" command to see a listing of
| files in a directory, behave differently in Solaris, and Solaris
| lacks Linux tools for packaging, downloading and installing
| software such as Debian's apt-get, Murdock said. And Linux's
| installation process is much better than that of Solaris, in
| part because of better hardware support, he said.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/softwa...2011784,00.htm

Sun CEO: "Proprietary"...did more damage to sun than any market downturn

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun has discovered the exact same thing. Freedom sells. Or, rather,
| services around freedom sell. The freedom itself is, well, free.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openreso...o_proprie.html

Can Linux Get a Lift From Eclipse?

,----[ Quote ]
| Eager to shed its reputation as a tool just for Java developers, Eclipse has
| quickly embraced newer languages such as PHP, Python and Ruby—as well as
| older ones like Ada, COBOL and C. But when it comes to enabling native Linux
| development, Eclipse isn’t moving as fast. It’s not uncommon for applications
| originating from Eclipse to target Linux servers... * *
`----

http://www.sda-india.com/sda_india/p...21957,p,0.html

Building from Source Crucial for Linux to Adopt Eclipse

,----[ Quote ]
| In the ongoing talk about how the different Linux distros and the Russian
| Academy of Science are starting to make Eclipse the Visual Studio for Linux,
| the Linux guys seem well on their way to making Eclipse the Linux IDE. Ian
| Skerret say the Linux Distros Project has been great catalyst for this and I
| think CDT and the PDT project are helping drive this forward too. * *
`----

http://www.sda-india.com/sda_india/p...28750769744438

Linux developers considering move to Eclipse

,----[ Quote ]
| At the recent Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit, it was decided to
| start making Eclipse, the open-source development platform, the Visual
| Studio for Linux.
`----

Eclipse Ships Largest-Ever Release of Leading Open Source Software Development
Platform

,----[ Quote ]
| Europa features 21 Eclipse projects for software developers and is more
| than double the size of last year's record-setting release.
`----

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/s...e,129556.shtml

Survey: Windows loses ground with developers

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux gaining share as the number of developers targeting Windows falls
| 12 percent, Evans Data says
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/...s-share_1.html

Developers' use of open source Eclipse doubles

,----[ Quote ]
| The adoption rate of the open source Eclipse integrated development
| environment has more than doubled in the Europe, the Middle East and
| Africa region, industry analysts have revealed.
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articl...se-doubles.htm

Developers Embrace Java, Drop Visual Basic

,----[ Quote ]
| Use of Visual Basic has dropped 35% since the spring, says a
| poll of more than 430 North American developers done by research
| company Evans Data.
|
| [...]
|
| Developers have abandoned Microsoft's Visual Basic in droves
| during the last six months, and they're using Java more than any
| other development language, according to a recently published
| survey.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/softw...leID=196600515

Eclipse Is Still Going Strong

,----[ Quote ]
| In the intervening years, the Eclipse open-source development
| platform has grown well beyond the IDE space, branching out into
| areas such as reporting, modeling, AJAX (Asynchronous JavaScript
| and XML) development, SOA (service-oriented architecture) tooling,
| RCP (rich-client platform) technology, team development, and
| support for other languages beyond Java.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20061107/tc_zd/193207

Eclipse: A Billion-Dollar Baby?

,----[ Quote ]
| "Historically enterprise software has been sold through [a]
| direct salesforce channel. ... We're starting to see success
| in open source software products in areas which have been
| traditionally the realm of the direct salesforce. Those
| environments or those products have very, very low cost of
| sales, so as customers get more used to that, I think that
| over time, there are going to be fewer and fewer software
| salesmen."
`----

Eclipse Adoption on The Rise

,----[ Quote ]
| With the EclipseWorld conference kicking off this week in Boston,
| it would be easy to think the open source Java tools project is
| everywhere.
`----

http://www.devxnews.com/article.php/3630071

Study: Developers Favor Linux