Android vs. OpenMoko: Who Will Win?

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week Google announced Android, which is the newest open-source mobile
| phone platform. Google is not the only company behind Android but several
| companies make up the Open Handset Alliance.
|
| [...]
|
| Meanwhile, the open-source mobile platform known to many GNU/Linux users,
| OpenMoko, hasn't kicked up nearly as much mainstream media attention. Both
| OpenMoko and Android leverage the power of the Linux kernel and other
| open-source projects to provide a free software platform for mobile devices.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjE5Mg

Google Android gets positive early reviews

,----[ Quote ]
| While Google's Android announcement generated a lot of hype last week,
| developers had to wait until yesterday to see whether the company had
| actually developed a good platform.
|
| After downloading and examining Google's Android software development kit
| yesterday, some software developers gave the platform favorable reviews and
| praised it as a breath of fresh air for an industry that has long been
| characterized by closed devices and software.
`----

Dalvik: how Google routed around Sun's IP-based licensing restrictions on Java
ME

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun released their "free java" source code under the GPLv2 to both win the
| free software crowd and capture peripheral innovation and bug fixing from the
| community. For the java standard edition (aka "the cat is out of the bag")
| there is an exception to the GPLv2 that makes it "reciprocal" only for the
| Java platform code itself but not for the user code running on it (or most
| people wouldn't even dare touching it with a pole).
`----

http://www.betaversion.org/~stefano/linotype/news/110/

Google's software licence (Apache, I think) perhaps isn't as good as
OpenMoko's.

Related:

Enlightenment Desktop UI running on the Neo1973

,----[ Quote ]
| Another UI video has surfaced showing E17 enlightenment running the the
| Neo1973.
`----

http://mobilemoko.net/2007/enlighten...n-the-neo1973/

OpenMoko Developer Preview Sold Out After Unexpected Demand

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenMoko, the first Open Source cell phone, has sold out the entire planned
| production run for the device's developer preview after unexpected demand.
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2007/8/6/24279

iPhone matures the "free your phone" movement

,----[ Quote ]
| This is why FreeTheIPhone.org project is born, but even better, why OpenMoko
| project exists. While some are trying to free the locked down device, others
| are creating a free unlocked device from the start, and a whole software
| framework to go with it. *
`----

http://www.mobiliberty.com/iphone_ma...phone_movement

Mr. Martin tear down this wall