Latest figures:

,----[ Quote ]
| Operating sy. Count Share % Rmax Sum (GF) Rpeak Sum (GF) Processor Sum
| Linux 426 85.20 % 4896692 7956758 970790
| Windows 6 1.20 % 47495 86797 12112
| Unix 30 6.00 % 408378 519178 73532
| BSD Based 2 0.40 % 44783 50176 5696
| Mixed 34 6.80 % 1540037 1900361 580693
| Mac OS 2 0.40 % 28430 44816 5272
| Totals 500 100% 6965815 10558.. 1648095
`----

Windows also has a market share of 4-6% in the mobile space after many years of
failed effort and investment. Linux is a jack of all trades, but not the
master of the desktop (_yet_).

Blade Servers Make It to the Top HPC Sites

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux has ruled the Top 500 list for quite some time, and the advent of a
| Windows alternative from Microsoft has not, as yet, changed that. Linux is
| the sole operating system on 426 of the 500 machines in the November ranking,
| or 85.2 percent of the machines, and is also usually the other operating
| system in the 34 hybrid platforms that make up another 6.8 percent of
| machines on the list.
`----

http://www.itjungle.com/bns/bns111307-story01.html

When will we see the year of Windows on HPC? It has been years since Gates
spoke about it and my colleague's experience was abysmal (many huge bugs and
delays), despite Microsoft's attempts to "dump" products.

Scali, Linux Networx Announce New Benchmark Results

,----[ Quote ]
| Scali, the leader in higher performance computing software and LNXI, an
| award-winning provider of Linux-based, production-ready High Performance
| Computing (HPC) solutions, today announced that the Standard Performance
| Evaluation Corp. (SPEC) has published benchmark results provided by Scali
| using the SPEC MPI2007 benchmark suite.
`----

http://www.hpcwire.com/hpc/1891156.html

Related:

Microsoft's vision for universal mobile platform a little blurred

,----[ Quote ]
| Unfortunately for Microsoft, Windows Mobile is currently not even in the
| second runner in the smartphone operating systems race. Linux, which is
| widely used on mobile devices in China, is second to Symbian with more than
| 13% market share. Windows mobile is a distant third with about 6% share.
`---- ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15017/1023/

Reaching for Apple, Falling Short

,----[ Quote ]