New Ideas Corp. Launches Linux Preloaded PC Website C3PC.com

,----[ Quote ]
| New Ideas Corp. announced the immediate availability of their custom-built C3
| workstations and laptops preloaded with Ubuntu on C3PC.com today. New Ideas
| Corp. began selling their custom built PCs regionally in 1997, as a way to
| provide high quality hardware to business at a lower cost than other builders
| and resellers.
`----

http://www.c3pc.com/index.php?option...id=21&Itemid=2

Related:

Toshiba Italy mulls pre-loaded Linux notebooks

,----[ Quote ]
| Toshiba's Italian channel sales and marketing operation reportedly
| is considering offering pre-loaded Linux in its Tecra, Satellite, Portege,
| and Qosmio notebook lines, according to a story published online last week
| in the Il Sole newspaper.
`----

Dude, I'm Getting a Dell...with Linux!

,----[ Quote ]
| Last night, my boyfriend and I customized a Dell Inspiron 530N desktop with
| Ubuntu version 7.04 pre-installed. You may be wondering, why convert to an
| open-source platform? We were tired of Microsoft's security issues. Plus,
| there are still many apps and hardware that aren't compatible with Vista yet,
| not to mention the cheapest Vista edition you can buy is $199.
`----

http://www.gearlog.com/2007/08/dude_...llwith_lin.php

Acer and Ubuntu? What Acer?

,----[ Quote ]
| Naaay. No demand? If so, why is Acer shipping to EMEA (Europe, the Middle
| East and Africa) at least 11 configurations with Linpus Linux instead of
| Windows?
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?page=d...ntu-what-acer-

Lenovo to sell laptops with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The laptops are slated to go on sale in the fourth quarter of this year and
| will be sold to Lenovo's business customers as well as to consumers.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0070806?rpc=44

TurboLinux computers now sold by EPSON

,----[ Quote ]
| DELL did it, now it's EPSON's turn to propose computers running Linux
| as OS, their offer is made of the Endeavor LX7800, a desktop available
| in BTO with CPUs going from the Celeron to the inevitable Core 2 Duo
| and the Endeavor LX1000 which is a laptop also available in Build To
| Order. This one features an ATI Radeon Xpress 200M graphic card and a
| 15 inches XGA resolution.
`----

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news...+by+EPSON.html

Becoming a Linux OEM: A Roadmap

,----[ Quote ]
| System76 has been able to establish itself as a real Linux distributor early
| on, as it sells both notebooks and desktop machines. Other great examples
| include *Emperor Linux and Linux Certified, both of which have been doing
| this a lot longer than System76, though only with notebook-based Linux
| systems. * *
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osr...le.php/3696461

Dell pushes for better Linux drivers

,----[ Quote ]
| Amit Bhutani told a session at the Ubuntu Live 2007 conference that Dell has
| several "areas of investigation" when it comes to Linux. *
`----

http://www.crn.com.au/story.aspx?CII...&src=site-marq

Dell Wants Better ATI Linux Drivers

,----[ Quote ]
| At Ubuntu Live 2007, Amit Bhutani had a session on Ubuntu Linux for Dell
| Consumer Systems, where he had shared a slide with Dell's "area of
| investigation", which Amit had said is essentially their Linux road-map. Amit
| had also stated that the NVIDIA 2D and 3D video drivers were "challenges in
| platform enablement". Dell wants to offer ATI Linux systems, but first the
| driver must be improved for the Linux platform (not necessarily open-source,
| but improved). * * *
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/?page=news_item&px=NTkxOA

Ubuntu plus Dell equals better support for devices in Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the best things that has happened to Linux enthusisasts the world over
| is the confluence of two big players one in the Linux arena (Ubuntu aka
| Canonical) and the other in the PC hardware space (Dell). And the end users
| have already started reaping the benefits. *
`----

http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2007/0...r-support.html

Dell's Small Software Acquisition Has Big Implications

,----[ Quote ]
| So, how does Silverback benefit Dell? It's rather simple: The same way that
| big outsourcing firms like Electronic Data Systems manage Fortune 500
| networks, Dell can now remotely manage thousands of individual customer
| sites. *
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/07...4_id.html?.v=1

Pre-loaded Linux = Increased adoption?

,----[ Quote ]
| "I think Dell pre-loading Linux will have a significant impact on
| Linux adoption, although not necessarily because so many end
| users comfortable with Windows will decide to switch. Rather,
| Dell's involvement will motivate many hardware manufacturers
| to make reliable Linux drivers available, the lack of which
| has significantly retarded the adoption of Linux by many
| individuals and organizations interested in trying out Linux.
| By reducing the barrier of drivers and thereby enabling these
| trials, Linux will start to achieve some momentum, which will
| in turn increase its adoption rate. So, I applaud Dell for
| moving forward on this initiative."
`----

http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.tech...ased-adoption/

Linux: Driver Support is Key