[News] Miro Reaches 1.0 Release Milestone; Linux-based 'Exchange Killer' Improved - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Miro Reaches 1.0 Release Milestone; Linux-based 'Exchange Killer' Improved - Linux ; Open-Xchange launches migration tool for Domino data ,----[ Quote ] | Open-Xchange and Pavone have developed a tool, Domino20X, to make it easier | for administrators to convert from IBM's Lotus/Domino to the open source | Open-Xchange groupware server. The ...

  1. [News] Miro Reaches 1.0 Release Milestone; Linux-based 'Exchange Killer' Improved

    Open-Xchange launches migration tool for Domino data

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Open-Xchange and Pavone have developed a tool, Domino20X, to make it easier
    | for administrators to convert from IBM's Lotus/Domino to the open source
    | Open-Xchange groupware server. The tool, which has been developed as part of
    | a technical collaboration between the two companies, extracts user data,
    | e-mails, contacts, calendar entries and tasks from Domino servers (from
    | version 7) and feeds it into Open-Xchange Server 5.
    `----

    Miro 1.0 is Here

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I am incredibly excited to announce the launch of Miro 1.0.
    |
    | With this launch, we are ready to build a movement for truly open video.
    | We’re on a mission, we have a world-class product, we have an amazing
    | community, and more and more open channels are being published every day.
    | It’s the right time.
    `----

    http://www.getmiro.com/blog/2007/11/miro-10-is-here/

    Seems like an uber-application (Democracy Player). Wow. So much functionality.

    Related:

    Mozilla gives $100K grant to Democracy makers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mozilla has announced that a $100K has been approved for the
    | Participatory Culture Foundation, a Massachusetts-based
    | non-profit that aims to make "watching internet video channels [..] as easy
    | as watching TV and broadcasting a channel...
    `----

    http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2007/05/m...ocracy-makers/

    Watch online video? Get Miro

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In short, Miro makes it so much easier to find and to get video content that
    | you won't want to switch to another app just to watch it.
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/118379

    Miro (Democracy Player) for Linux Reviewed

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | At the end of the day, Miro has been one of my favorite methods of
    | downloading, maintaining and enjoying user created content. It's been a
    | source of joy and discovery for me personally, and I only wish to see them
    | gain a better focus on their future direction. Remember, non-profits can
    | indeed, generate a profit. It's just a matter of reinvesting those funds into
    | the project to better see through the mission of the group as a whole. * *
    `----

    http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=8026

    Democracy Player 0.9.6 Released - Last version ever! (before name change)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | We have just released version 0.9.6 of Democracy Player.
    `----

    http://www.getdemocracy.com/news/200...e-name-change/
    http://tinyurl.com/2x6ae2

    Review: Open-Xchange

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Looking for a Microsoft Exchange replacement, or a first groupware
    | application for your organization? Check out Open-Xchange. I took it for
    | a test drive and found it to be a solid product that works well with
    | open source groupware clients, though its Web interface is a bit
    | clunky.
    `----

    Open-Xchange (Partially) Embraces GPL *

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | On the GPL side, Open-Xchange's choice of license stands in
    | contrast to that of its competitor Zimbra, which offers its
    | namesake collaboration suite under a modified Mozilla Public
    | License, plus attribution.
    `----

    http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news...le.php/3665046

    Open-Xchange Launches Collaboration Software Appliance

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Open-Xchange Express Edition is delivered as a software appliance based
    | on a version of the Ubuntu Linux distribution, although it is designed so
    | that the user never needs to interact with the operating system.
    `----

    http://www.computerwire.com/industri...2D5A6A6776008F

    Open-Xchange goes Express, sheds its Suse roots

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Second, and extremely interesting to me, Express Edition runs on Ubuntu. Why
    | does this matter? Well, for one thing it shows Ubuntu's stablity and
    | performance. But on an even more interesting note, take a look at
    | Open-Xchange's management team, and in particular its CTO, Jürgen Geck. You
    | might remember that he was the CTO at Suse....Or check out Open-Xchange's
    | co-founder and EVP of engineering, Martin Kauss. Yep, he was a Suse guy
    | before, too. The list goes on....
    `----

    http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-974...547-1035_3-0-5

  2. Re: Miro Reaches 1.0 Release Milestone; Linux-based 'Exchange Killer'Improved

    On Nov 13, 10:56 pm, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:

    > Miro 1.0 is Here
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | I am incredibly excited to announce the launch of Miro 1.0.
    > |
    > | With this launch, we are ready to build a movement for truly open video.
    > | We're on a mission, we have a world-class product, we have an amazing
    > | community, and more and more open channels are being published every day.
    > | It's the right time.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.getmiro.com/blog/2007/11/miro-10-is-here/

    I managed to see this mentioned the other evening on Attack Of The
    Show on G4. It's one of my favorite apps.

  3. Re: Miro Reaches 1.0 Release Milestone; Linux-based 'Exchange Killer' Improved

    ____/ Darth Chaos on Thursday 15 November 2007 17:58 : \____

    > On Nov 13, 10:56 pm, Roy Schestowitz
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Miro 1.0 is Here
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | I am incredibly excited to announce the launch of Miro 1.0.
    >> |
    >> | With this launch, we are ready to build a movement for truly open video.
    >> | We're on a mission, we have a world-class product, we have an amazing
    >> | community, and more and more open channels are being published every day.
    >> | It's the right time.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.getmiro.com/blog/2007/11/miro-10-is-here/

    > I managed to see this mentioned the other evening on Attack Of The
    > Show on G4. It's one of my favorite apps.

    I never tried it myself, but it looks like 'Firefox quality'. It even received
    a big donation from Mozilla...

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Signature pending approval"
    Tasks: 117 total, 1 running, 116 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie