Outlook Express Can Do this, How About Linux? - Linux

This is a discussion on Outlook Express Can Do this, How About Linux? - Linux ; Here's my problem. Several people access our generic info@yourdomain.com account. This account collects requests for sales info, tech support, seminar invitations, spam, etc. If a salesman accesses this account they need to download every letter where the subject mentions our ...

  1. Outlook Express Can Do this, How About Linux?

    Here's my problem. Several people access our generic info@yourdomain.com
    account. This account collects requests for sales info, tech support,
    seminar invitations, spam, etc. If a salesman accesses this account they
    need to download every letter where the subject mentions our product line.
    Nothing else is to be downloaded. Next, if the tech support person accesses
    this account they need to download every letter that mentions "defect"
    "warranty" or "problem" (once again, leaving everything else on the server).
    Finally, the administrator needs to download everything else without
    touching the mail intended for sales or tech support.

    I used to be able to do this with Windows Outlook Express. It has the
    ability to filter mail by subject and leave specific mail undownloaded on
    the server. It had a nice check box in the filter section that permitted
    all mail lacking key words to be ignored and left on the server.

    It appears every Linux mail program I try that can filter only does the
    filtering once the mail is downloaded. I need an email filter / client that
    can leave mail untouched on the server if the subject line does not contain
    key words.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Ric

  2. Re: Outlook Express Can Do this, How About Linux?

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:40:20 -0400
    "Ric K." wrote:

    >Here's my problem. Several people access our generic

    info@yourdomain.com
    >account. This account collects requests for sales info, tech support,
    >seminar invitations, spam, etc. If a salesman accesses this account

    they
    >need to download every letter where the subject mentions our product

    line.
    >Nothing else is to be downloaded. Next, if the tech support person

    accesses
    >this account they need to download every letter that mentions "defect"
    >"warranty" or "problem" (once again, leaving everything else on the

    server).
    >Finally, the administrator needs to download everything else without
    >touching the mail intended for sales or tech support.
    >
    >I used to be able to do this with Windows Outlook Express. It has the
    >ability to filter mail by subject and leave specific mail undownloaded

    on
    >the server. It had a nice check box in the filter section that

    permitted
    >all mail lacking key words to be ignored and left on the server.
    >
    >It appears every Linux mail program I try that can filter only does the
    >filtering once the mail is downloaded. I need an email filter / client

    that
    >can leave mail untouched on the server if the subject line does not

    contain
    >key words.
    >
    >Any ideas?

    Both sylpheed and mutt will do that, as long as the server allows IMAP
    connections. I'm sure many other mailers will as well, but I'm familiar
    with sylpheed & mutt.

    -Dave

    --
    David Frascone

    Laughter: The shortest distance between two people.

  3. Re: Outlook Express Can Do this, How About Linux?

    Ric K. wrote:

    > ability to filter mail by subject and leave specific mail undownloaded on

    Look for POP filtering.

    --
    Ruurd
    ..o.

  4. Re: Outlook Express Can Do this, How About Linux?

    Such filtering with Thunderbird is trivial. Click Edit, Account
    Settings. Here you will see a list of the accounts, choose Server
    Settings for the account you'd like to modify, and check "Leave messages
    on server", ensure "For at most..." and "Until I delete..." are both
    unchecked. Click OK. Now click Tools, and then click Message Filters.
    Since you are already familiar with filtering, the rest should be an
    easy exercise.

    Good luck,
    Clinton

  5. Re: Outlook Express Can Do this, How About Linux?

    Clinton,

    I think your suggestion should solve my problem. I assume that each person
    will download every letter (even those that we want to go to another
    department) and then filter out everything they don't care about. Since
    everything remains on the server the other departments can do the same.

    The only problem I see is that the letters that are actually used by an
    individual never get deleted off the server. For example, the sales
    department downloads a letter with the subject, "Here's My Order". This
    letter remains on the server. Next, tech support uses Outlook Express which
    sees the letter but ignores it since it has no tech support keyword. The
    letter just sits there taking up space with no signal to delete it.

    Do I have to do a manual purge or can the Thunderbird email setting of
    "Leave messages on server for at most X days" be safely used? If I tell it
    to leave the mail on the server for two weeks (plenty of time for the other
    departments to purge their mail) will I be safe? That statement of "at
    most" scares me. It almost sounds like it might randomly decide that
    purging after one day is fine since it qualifies as a time interval less
    than two weeks in length. What do you think?

    Thanks,
    Ric

    "Clinton V. Weiss" wrote in message
    > Such filtering with Thunderbird is trivial. Click Edit, Account Settings.
    > Here you will see a list of the accounts, choose Server Settings for the
    > account you'd like to modify, and check "Leave messages on server", ensure
    > "For at most..." and "Until I delete..." are both unchecked. Click OK.
    > Now click Tools, and then click Message Filters. Since you are already
    > familiar with filtering, the rest should be an easy exercise.
    >
    > Good luck,
    > Clinton

  6. Re: Outlook Express Can Do this, How About Linux?

    * Ric K. Wrote in comp.os.linux:

    > I think your suggestion should solve my problem. I assume that
    > each person will download every letter (even those that we want to
    > go to another department) and then filter out everything they
    > don't care about. Since everything remains on the server the
    > other departments can do the same.

    I dont use postfix but I believe you use it to forward mail that
    matches certain rules to certain malboxes and subsequently remove the
    sent message from the server. This does not have to be done client
    side.

    --
    David

  7. Re: Outlook Express Can Do this, How About Linux?

    SINNER wrote:
    > * Ric K. Wrote in comp.os.linux:
    >

    >>I think your suggestion should solve my problem. I assume that
    >>each person will download every letter (even those that we want to
    >>go to another department) and then filter out everything they
    >>don't care about. Since everything remains on the server the
    >>other departments can do the same.

    > I dont use postfix but I believe you use it to forward mail that
    > matches certain rules to certain malboxes and subsequently remove the
    > sent message from the server. This does not have to be done client
    > side.

    I second this idea. Client side is messy and can cause potential
    problems. Properly configuring one machine to filter the mail into
    seperate mailboxes is the safest and most predictable solution.

  8. Re: Outlook Express Can Do this, How About Linux?

    It never occurred to me to have one machine download, filter, and reissue
    all the mail. I can either see if the server administrator can set it up or
    I'll take one of our 'always on' Linux boxes and set it up.

    Thanks for all the suggestions.

    Ric

  9. Re: Outlook Express Can Do this, How About Linux?

    Ric K. wrote:
    > Here's my problem. Several people access our generic info@yourdomain.com
    > account. This account collects requests for sales info, tech support,
    > seminar invitations, spam, etc. If a salesman accesses this account they
    > need to download every letter where the subject mentions our product line.
    > Nothing else is to be downloaded. Next, if the tech support person accesses
    > this account they need to download every letter that mentions "defect"
    > "warranty" or "problem" (once again, leaving everything else on the server).
    > Finally, the administrator needs to download everything else without
    > touching the mail intended for sales or tech support.
    >
    > I used to be able to do this with Windows Outlook Express. It has the
    > ability to filter mail by subject and leave specific mail undownloaded on
    > the server. It had a nice check box in the filter section that permitted
    > all mail lacking key words to be ignored and left on the server.
    >
    > It appears every Linux mail program I try that can filter only does the
    > filtering once the mail is downloaded. I need an email filter / client that
    > can leave mail untouched on the server if the subject line does not contain
    > key words.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ric

    Mozilla mail using IMAP, filter to dump relative mail into relative
    _local_ folders.

  10. Re: Outlook Express Can Do this, How About Linux?

    A. Ben Hmeda wrote:
    > Ric K. wrote:
    >
    >> Here's my problem. Several people access our generic info@yourdomain.com
    >> account. This account collects requests for sales info, tech support,
    >> seminar invitations, spam, etc. If a salesman accesses this account they
    >> need to download every letter where the subject mentions our product
    >> line.
    >> Nothing else is to be downloaded. Next, if the tech support person
    >> accesses
    >> this account they need to download every letter that mentions "defect"
    >> "warranty" or "problem" (once again, leaving everything else on the
    >> server).
    >> Finally, the administrator needs to download everything else without
    >> touching the mail intended for sales or tech support.

    You could achieve this using procmail to filter incoming mail on the
    server for the info@ account and forward it to sales@, support@, or
    postmaster@, depending on the subject line.

    No need to bother the mail client of your users.

    Kind regards,

    Daniel C. von Asmuth

+ Reply to Thread