[News] New GNU/Linux Distro a Huge Success Just Days After Its Debut - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] New GNU/Linux Distro a Huge Success Just Days After Its Debut - Linux ; The little desktop Linux that came out of the blue ,----[ Quote ] | When a desktop Linux distribution suddenly becomes popular before even | DistroWatch starts tracking it, you know you've got something special. One | new Ubuntu-based distribution, ...

  1. [News] New GNU/Linux Distro a Huge Success Just Days After Its Debut

    The little desktop Linux that came out of the blue

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | When a desktop Linux distribution suddenly becomes popular before even
    | DistroWatch starts tracking it, you know you've got something special. One
    | new Ubuntu-based distribution, gOS, has managed to capture users' attention
    | purely by word of mouth over the Internet.
    `----

    Will distributions like gOS bring the masses to Linux?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Just a few comments I wanted to pass on as I follow the growth of Linux.
    | Anytime we can bring another person into the Linux world is a plus and I feel
    | gOS is just hit it right on the head of the nail. Good Luck gOS and I am glad
    | you are here...
    `----

    http://www.reviewlinux.com/?m=show&id=8319

    Yesterday:

    Wal-Mart's Ultra-Efficient Linux PC Sells Out

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Well...after all the naysaying, it took about a week for Wal-Mart's $200
    | green Linux PC to sell out of their online warehouses. Of course, it probably
    | isn't selling quite that fast in stores. *
    `----

    http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/1130/

    $200 Everex gPC desktop featuring gOS proves to be popular

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | That $200 Everex gPC that Walmart has been advertising has proven to be quite
    | the hit in its online store, currently being out of stock but can still be
    | picked up at select brick and mortar locations. *
    `----

    http://tech.blorge.com/Structure
    %20/2007/11/11/200-everex-gpc-desktop-featuring-gos-proves-to-be-popular/

    Related:

    Wal-Mart Starts Selling Linux PCs for $198
    * * * * * *
    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Almost the Google PC: Everex gPC available at Wal-Mart
    |
    | On Thursday, WalMart begins selling the Everex Green gPC TC2502, a $198,
    | low-power, Linux-based PC designed primarily for running Web 2.0
    | applications.
    `----

    http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-980...g=2547-1_3-0-5

  2. Re: [News] New GNU/Linux Distro a Huge Success Just Days After Its Debut

    ____/ [H]omer on Thursday 15 November 2007 05:59 : \____

    >> The little desktop Linux that came out of the blue

    > Get it here:
    >
    > http://www.thinkgos.com/
    >
    > Hmm, "green".
    >
    > I prefer pitch dark, personally (easily changed of course).

    Same here. Nice timely story by the way... changed distros 2-3 days ago...
    installed KDE (takes just minutes on a high-speed ethernet)... uncompressed
    the dot files to the home directory... start KDE... the whole SESSION was
    restored... including colours, INDIVIDUAL APPS as they were last opened... all
    of this despite the upgrade from 3.4.x to 3.5.6. Amazing! Saved me hours of
    customisation.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Microsoft: a device for converting public ignorance into cash
    roy pts/3 cg093a.halls.man Thu Nov 15 08:15 still logged in