IBM 51 shutdown terminal - Linux

This is a discussion on IBM 51 shutdown terminal - Linux ; I just installed Shrike on my new IBM R51 and I got most of the drivers working, which is great but I am having problems when restarting or shutting down. the thing is the terminal that is displaying kernel messages ...

  1. IBM 51 shutdown terminal

    I just installed Shrike on my new IBM R51 and I got most
    of the drivers working, which is great but I am having
    problems when restarting or shutting down.

    the thing is the terminal that is displaying kernel
    messages when I shut down or restart(stoppping services,
    unmounting file systems...) is garbled.
    about 4 or 5 vertical lines appear across the screen,
    the picture seems a tad tinted to the right and the
    display is flickering.

    I am concerned about my lcd cause I destroyed an
    RGB monitor the first time I ever installed linux
    by setting up the vertical and horizontal
    frequency incorrectly.

    the display is ok when linux is booting up which
    is even more puzzling.
    someone suggested I pass a "vga" parameter to
    my grub.conf, specifyng a resolution grub will be using.
    which I did
    "vga=0x301" for exapmle,
    according to this table:
    | 640x480 800x600 1024x768 1280x1024
    ----+-------------------------------------
    256 | 0x301 0x303 0x305 0x307
    32k | 0x310 0x313 0x316 0x319
    64k | 0x311 0x314 0x317 0x31A
    16M | 0x312 0x315 0x318 0x31B

    I tried several other values but the shutdown terminals
    display is still garbled. it looks like this:

    ------------------------------
    stopping atd
    stopping xinetd
    stopping blabh blah
    ------------------------------
    blah blah
    yadda yada yadda
    ------------------------------

    and flickers a lot!!!!

    the picture I am getting while in X and in Gnome or Fluxbox is
    of a surprisingly good quality. I do not understand from where
    linux gets the value for the screen resolution at the shutdown
    phase?? and I am afraid my brand new R51's lcd will be affected
    by this.

  2. Re: IBM 51 shutdown terminal

    Rodney wrote:

    > my grub.conf, specifyng a resolution grub will be using.

    Put it out of its misery. Add vga=normal on the kernel line.

    --
    Ruurd
    ..o.

+ Reply to Thread