Bootcamp 499: Put a puppy in your PC Part 1

,----[ Quote ]
| So what is this miraculous product? It's called Linux, and before you make
| your excuses and leave this is not geeky Linux, it's a small, cuddly, and
| incredibly easy to use version called Puppy Linux. It runs directly from
| a 'Live CD' so even if Windows is completely mangled you can still get your
| PC up and running and access data on the hard drive.
`----

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected.../ecrboot12.xml

Mass appeal and free to boot

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows Vista could be that good reason. Moving from XP to Vista may be
| almost as disruptive as moving from XP to Ubuntu. The big difference is that
| Ubuntu is free, whereas with prices for upgrades as high as $650 and possibly
| the need for some extra hardware, the move to Vista will certainly be more
| expensive.
`----

http://www.smh.com.au/news/how-tos/m...749391258.html

An iDellic approach to shifting beige PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Contrary to reports on the internet last week, Dell is not abandoning its
| experiment in selling PCs running the open source Linux operating system.
`----

http://www.smh.com.au/news/biztech/a...766589438.html

Linux in the mainstream press. Not bad for an O/S which the MSBBC told us only
400-600 people (among 17 million Web surfers) actually use. Pathetic,
criminal-minded liars.

Related:

Confused BBC tech chief: Only 600 Linux users visit our website

| Ooops. Highfield goes on to say that these users should be seen in the
| context of the vast majority, who run Windows.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11...rs_bafflement/

BBC Corrupted

,----[ Quote ]
| Today the BBC made it official -- they have been corrupted by Microsoft. With
| today's launch of the iPlayer, the BBC Trust has failed in its most basic of
| duties and handed over to Microsoft sole control of the on-line distribution
| of BBC programming. From today, you will need to own a Microsoft operating
| system to view BBC programming on the web. This is akin to saying you must
| own a Sony TV set to watch BBC TV. And you must accept the Digital *
| Restrictions Management (DRM) that the iPlayer imposes. You simply cannot be
| allowed to be in control of your computer according to the BBC. * * *
`----

http://defectivebydesign.org/blog/BBCcorrupted

BBC iPlayer Protests

,----[ Quote ]