Yahoo sets program to boost distributed computing

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo has been a main supporter of Hadoop, an open source distributed file
| system that lets users process massive amounts of data. The company said it
| would make Hadoop available to academic research in a supercomputing-class
| data center.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/techn...technologyNews
http://tinyurl.com/39o5qm

127 million Oracle shares vote for open source at annual shareholders meeting

,----[ Quote ]
| While seemingly a lot, 127 million shares doesn't add up to much in Oracle's
| world. 127,717,018 shares only account for 3.58% of Oracle's total share
| count.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9814695-16.html

Related:

Yahoo! Answers is rejecting Open-Source options in answers

,----[ Quote ]
| Someone got a computer from a friend that has some serious problems
| with Windows. S/he has none of the disks (XP or restore) and was
| asking for recommendations.
|
| [...]
|
| How is recommending freely available and legal alternatives abuse?
| ImgBurn is also a perfectly legal program, so are Ubuntu and Kubuntu
| (they're Linux).
`----

http://amandakerik.wordpress.com/200...ns-in-answers/
http://tinyurl.com/ywglv7

Open source as a shareholder issue

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle’s board opposes the proposal - which might upset some open source
| purists - and has outlined its belief that such a report is unnecessary. In
| its proxy statement the company points out that it already makes available
| details of its open source projects. *
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensou...eholder-issue/

Oracle's Unbreakable Linux...All about Microsoft?

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle therefore needs to shore up its market share on Linux, which
| becomes easier the lower the price of Linux becomes. Price aside,
| tying Linux into the Oracle database and applications in a similar
| way to how Microsoft ties its products into Windows makes a lot of sense.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openreso...s_unbreak.html

Is Oracle Good for the Linux Market?

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the long term, it's possible that the Oracle/Red Hat dynamic
| could ultimately prove less divisive than an LSB unified Linux.
| But in the interim, Oracle's likely to be lowering the oxygen content
| in the largest commercial Linux market in return for what I believe
| are likely to be modest gains. Do the risks justify the returns in
| this case? Not from where I'm sitting, but I promise to keep an
| open mind.
`----

http://redmonk.com/sogrady/2007/04/0...-linux-market/

Oracle drives rise of open source embedded database

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle acquired Berkeley DB's originator, Sleepycat, in February
| 2006, provoking speculation that it was moving to close down
| some of the open source competition that was eating at its market
| share. Instead, Oracle has provided a commercially licensed version
| alongside the open source project.
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articl...d-database.htm
http://tinyurl.com/2a35nd

Former Oracle President: Taking On Ellison?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techiqmag.com/2007/02/20/larr...ekick-returns/