Re: [News] [Rival] Greed Breeds Fragmentation in Formats (Consumer Loses) - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] [Rival] Greed Breeds Fragmentation in Formats (Consumer Loses) - Linux ; Roy Schestowitz wrote: > > > Kmart Drops Blu-Ray Over Price > > ,----[ Quote ] > | As HD-DVD players have dropped below $200, Blu-ray is starting the feel > | the pressure. In one such move, Kmart has ...

  1. Re: [News] [Rival] Greed Breeds Fragmentation in Formats (Consumer Loses)

    http://technologyexpert.blogspot.com...ver-price.html

    > I'm not sure if the above turned out to be false a few days ago.

    I have to say that I was skeptical about how good blu-ray could be. The pic
    quallity of my main player and TV are great, I couldn't imagine better
    without full 3D.

    But then I saw Blu-ray, what an amazing thing it is. You can see amazing
    detail that has made my player/TV at home look rubbish.

    I don't know if this part is true, but apparently actors are moaning about
    Blu-ray because it shows up all their blemishes, and it does too, you can
    see every black head

    Whether it's worth an extra £17 per DVD film I am not sure, the films that
    would benefit most (for me anyway) are the big picture onse, such as Lord
    of the Rings, most of the others I don't suppose it matters.

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Greed Breeds Fragmentation in Formats (Consumer Loses)

    ____/ BearItAll on Monday 12 November 2007 14:56 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> Kmart Drops Blu-Ray Over Price
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | As HD-DVD players have dropped below $200, Blu-ray is starting the feel
    >> | the pressure. In one such move, Kmart has decided to drop Blu-ray
    >> | players from its stores, mostly because of pricing.
    >> `----

    http://technologyexpert.blogspot.com...ver-price.html

    >> I'm not sure if the above turned out to be false a few days ago.
    >>

    > I have to say that I was skeptical about how good blu-ray could be. The pic
    > quallity of my main player and TV are great, I couldn't imagine better
    > without full 3D.

    It's called "organised obsolescence" (or variants of this term). If you can
    still watch your old films with your old equipment (e.g. VCR), then you don't
    need to buy more electronics and more material for entertainment. Content is
    intended to expire (you don't own it, you rent it) and devices become useless.
    It's a nice little scam, isn't it? They offer you twice the number of pixels
    and frames even if you just watch a HDDVD on a stinkin' 21-inch tube. You
    don't need that. The eye can't discern the difference.

    > But then I saw Blu-ray, what an amazing thing it is. You can see amazing
    > detail that has made my player/TV at home look rubbish.
    >
    > I don't know if this part is true, but apparently actors are moaning about
    > Blu-ray because it shows up all their blemishes, and it does too, you can
    > see every black head
    >
    > Whether it's worth an extra £17 per DVD film I am not sure, the films that
    > would benefit most (for me anyway) are the big picture onse, such as Lord
    > of the Rings, most of the others I don't suppose it matters.

    Discovery and navigation through content in YouTube I actually find more
    appealing than good ol' TV. No wonder the media companies are so scared of
    Google. Better quality will come too. It's the management of data (content)
    that is a lot more important. You can watch what you /want/ to watch,
    not "what's on TV." It the push (brainwash) versus pull. Like RSS versus
    E-mail.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Life is too short to proofread"
    run-level 2 2007-10-30 19:49 last=