Live CD dist w/r ntfs mount - Linux

This is a discussion on Live CD dist w/r ntfs mount - Linux ; Hi, I'm looking for a linux live cd version with easy ntfs volume r/w mount capability. Is there one out there that can do that? Another question. Do all live cd dists lose your os settings when you shutdown or ...

  1. Live CD dist w/r ntfs mount

    Hi, I'm looking for a linux live cd version with easy ntfs volume r/w mount
    capability.
    Is there one out there that can do that?

    Another question. Do all live cd dists lose your os settings when you
    shutdown or are there ones that can save your os settings on a removable
    drive like a floppy or a usb drive?

    --
    Andrew W.

    History books that contain no lies are extremely dull. The christian bible
    is a very interesting book indeed.

    Religion Exposed!
    http://members.optusnet.com.au/~ajwerner

  2. Re: Live CD dist w/r ntfs mount

    Andrew W wrote:
    > Hi, I'm looking for a linux live cd version with easy ntfs volume r/w mount
    > capability.
    > Is there one out there that can do that?
    >
    > Another question. Do all live cd dists lose your os settings when you
    > shutdown or are there ones that can save your os settings on a removable
    > drive like a floppy or a usb drive?

    With NTFS, you can read ok. Also you can write, but write support is only
    byte-to-byte, so you can only overwrite, not insert or remove data from files.

    < 3.8 Cebit 2005 Edition, featuring:

    - permanent homedirectory and system configuration can be kept on harddisk
    (even on NTFS),
    - KDE 3.3.2, Gimp 2.2.4, OpenOffice 1.1.4 and many updates>>

    http://www.knoppix.org/

    Think that it is capable of keeping settings on a removable drive, if it can
    keep them on harddrive.

    Mounting an NTFS partition/hard disk:

    http://www.linuxforum.com/linux_tutorials/1/1.php

    --

    http://www.alltheweb.com/
    http://www.google.com/

  3. Re: Live CD dist w/r ntfs mount

    Andrew W wrote:

    > Hi, I'm looking for a linux live cd version with easy ntfs volume r/w
    > mount capability.
    > Is there one out there that can do that?

    Writing to NTFS isn't recommended. It's very easy to break the data beyond
    sanity. (As MS *still* won't release the spec for NTFS, they're getting
    increasingly sidelined in the server market.)

    What are you trying to achieve? If you're just trying to retrieve data from
    a screwed Windows system, read only will be fine - save the files to an
    additional hard drive (perhaps formatted as FAT32), wipe the original hard
    drive, re-install which ever version of Windows your victim requires, then
    copy the data back into their "new" installation.

    Chris

    --
    Everything gets easier with practice, except getting up in the morning!

  4. Re: Live CD dist w/r ntfs mount

    Tatu Portin napsal(a):
    > With NTFS, you can read ok. Also you can write, but write support is
    > only byte-to-byte, so you can only overwrite, not insert or remove data
    > from files.

    Yeah, this is kernel support for ntfs volumes. BUT there are 2 project,
    which allows you to mount r/really w ntfs. I don't know the names, but
    one uses windows dlls and the second is written in their own engine.

    I do not know about distro, which contains any of these projects.

    --
    js

  5. Re: Live CD dist w/r ntfs mount

    > Hi, I'm looking for a linux live cd version with easy ntfs volume r/w
    > mount capability.
    > Is there one out there that can do that?

    KNOPPIX comes with CaptiveNTFS, which allows writing (and reading) to/from
    NTFS using Windows drivers.

    --
    Kevin Wu Won exclipy #40979410
    @gmail.com

  6. Re: Live CD dist w/r ntfs mount

    chris writes:

    > Writing to NTFS isn't recommended. It's very easy to break the data beyond
    > sanity. (As MS *still* won't release the spec for NTFS, they're getting
    > increasingly sidelined in the server market.)

    Lets wait and see new incoming file system from microsoft
    based on SQL. The whole File System will be some SQL database

    --
    pero.peric@lerota.net

  7. Re: Live CD dist w/r ntfs mount

    On 2005-04-29, Pero Peric wrote:
    > chris writes:
    >
    >> Writing to NTFS isn't recommended. It's very easy to break the data beyond
    >> sanity. (As MS *still* won't release the spec for NTFS, they're getting
    >> increasingly sidelined in the server market.)

    > Lets wait and see new incoming file system from microsoft
    > based on SQL. The whole File System will be some SQL database

    You're going to have to wait for it for a while; it's been abandoned
    (for Longhorn version, anyway). Since you have to wait for new windows for
    about 4-5 years, I hope you'll see it sometimes during 2013.

    --
    Uspjesne regije, tvrtke, muskarci i zene znaju da je uvijek bolje biti
    prvorazredna verzija sebe nego drugorazredna verzija nekog drugog.

  8. Re: Live CD dist w/r ntfs mount

    "Kevin Wu Won" wrote in message
    newsp.spdefixsh28aeg@emc-c23-117.resnet.uq.edu.au...
    >> Hi, I'm looking for a linux live cd version with easy ntfs volume r/w
    >> mount capability.
    >> Is there one out there that can do that?

    > KNOPPIX comes with CaptiveNTFS, which allows writing (and reading) to/from
    > NTFS using Windows drivers.
    >
    > --
    > Kevin Wu Won exclipy #40979410
    > @gmail.com

    Sometimes CaptiveNTFS is included on rescue cds. Available for download:

    http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/

+ Reply to Thread