columnist dismissed Linux ignorantly .. - Linux

This is a discussion on columnist dismissed Linux ignorantly .. - Linux ; "The primary characteristics of an OS are speed, stability and security, not the cosmetic appearance of the desktop" http://www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/22383...

  1. columnist dismissed Linux ignorantly ..

    "The primary characteristics of an OS are speed, stability and
    security, not the cosmetic appearance of the desktop"

    http://www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/22383

  2. Re: columnist dismissed Linux ignorantly ..

    Doug Mentohl wrote:

    > "The primary characteristics of an OS are speed, stability and
    > security, not the cosmetic appearance of the desktop"
    >
    > http://www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/22383

    I am a firm believer that pretty desktops are nothing more than a waste of
    system resources.

    The only time you see Aero or the Linux versions of such things, is after
    you have logged in. From then on you have one or more applications open so
    all of the pretty stuff is covered over. For those rare people who do
    nothing with their computers except stare gormlessly at the pretty desktop,
    then Aero and others have value. For everyone else, their presence costs
    machine resources that could be being used by your applications or the
    system services.

    I do make use of Linux's multi screens, fliping between them when on a
    single monitor, using the workspace switcher is fast. Seeing the screen
    turn like a cube would be nice once, but when working and wanting to switch
    between screens often, those few seconds while it turns will seem to
    stretch out for ages. Bet you anything that if it was forced on us all we
    would go back to putting all our applications on the one workspace just to
    save time.

    The old rule of 'Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it has benefits'
    comes into play. Like transparent Windows. We could always make Windows
    transparent, all the way back to early Windows. But it wasn't a good thing
    to do because being able to see the windows behind is just plain
    distracting. Having trouble trying to click on an invisible edge to stretch
    or move it is plain anoying, just slows you down. It could be done but was
    hindrence rather than a help and it didn't look good at all, just messy.

    The only place I saw it used well was on a NeXt machine being used as a UNIX
    terminal, such as a Listbox used as a local menu over the top of a UNIX
    screen. It was a way to share processing/response actions when the key
    strokes didn't actually need to return to the server, but was made
    transparent to make it look part of the terminal screen rather than a local
    toolbox.

    But on a ordinary client PC it's just pants.

    Phew, I'm glad that lot is off my chest, I feel half a ton lighter.

+ Reply to Thread