[News] [Humour] Linux Software 'Pulls a Vista' on the MBR - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Humour] Linux Software 'Pulls a Vista' on the MBR - Linux ; Inspired by XKCD: MBR Love Note ,----[ Quote ] | In any case, the comic has inspired me to write a Windows-based program that | can write a “love note” to the MBR and display it when the computer starts. ...

  1. [News] [Humour] Linux Software 'Pulls a Vista' on the MBR

    Inspired by XKCD: MBR Love Note

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In any case, the comic has inspired me to write a Windows-based program that
    | can write a “love note” to the MBR and display it when the computer starts.
    | And of course, just for fun it shows the “Missing operating system” message
    | as well. Shown is a screenshot...
    `----

    http://www.virtualroadside.com/blog/...mbr-love-note/

    Related:

    Geek in Paradise - Vista Upgrade

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As the HP Advisor disc was in the process of finishing, the machine
    | froze solid. After giving it 5 minutes of no disk activity, I reset
    | the machine to be greeted by a lovely blinking cursor. I put the
    | Vista disc in and booted into a repair installation, where I ran the
    | Repair tool. My hunch was proved correct when it returned a corrupted
    | MBR, which it had fixed. Thinking all was well, I rebooted to be
    | greeted with a black screen (no blinking cursor). Well, there's
    | something more going on so I rebooted into the repair tool and let
    | it do it's thing. This time, it found a Corrupted Partition table
    | which it then said it repaired. Awesome! Next reboot was greeted by
    | the same black screen, so I figured the other partition was corrupt
    | as well and let the repair tool run again and fix the partition
    | table again. Reboot, same thing...
    `----

    http://geekinparadise.com/2007/04/05/vista-upgrade/

    Vista scoots to new boot, but it's still kinda rooted

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | While Microsoft would like the world to believe that anyone running Windows
    | has no need of any other operating system, that attitude doesn?t cut much
    | mustard with many of its users.
    |
    | Why settle for one OS when your PC is easily capable of running two or
    | more?
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | One of the more questionable tactics that Microsoft has implemented in
    | Vista is to automatically overwrite any existing MBR during the
    | installation process without asking if you mind or giving you an option
    | to back up.
    |
    | Microsoft says that the Windows installation system can't intelligently
    | interrogate an existing non-MS MBR, although such features are quite
    | common in the install routine for other OSes.
    |
    | It also argues that an "official" Vista MBR is required for security
    | features -- such as measured boot, which works with Trusted Platform
    | Module (TPM)-enabled chips to check that the OS hasn't been hacked or
    | altered each time it boots -- to work correctly.
    `----

    http://www.apcstart.com/site/akidman...l-kinda-rooted

    I removed Vista and installed Linux on my Laptop...

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Who said that Linux doesn't have Eye candy? and who said that Linux
    | is a pain in the butt to install and configure? I installed Vista
    | and checked it, ok...cool Aero...! But believe me not as good as
    | Beryl...nice look and feel...not bad compared to GNOME on FC6 and
    | Ubuntu...!
    |
    | My image towards Linux was that it should be a Server OS, it doesn't
    | need Word Processors and blah blah... Well...I was wrong, and I
    | reallized it the first day I tried to install Linux as a Workstation,
    | it ain't as bad and difficult as people think.
    `----

    http://blog.fourthirty.org/?p=23

    EasyBCD 1.51 - Dual Boot Vista and Anything!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Dual boot Windows Vista with BSD, Mac OS X, Linux, SkyOS, FreeBSD,
    | ReactOS, Longhorn, Windows 9x, Windows NT, Windows 2000, and
    | more with NeoSmart Technologies' EasyBCD 1.51. All it takes is
    | one click, and you can configure Vista to boot into virtually
    | anything!
    `----

    http://neosmart.net/blog/archives/304

    Microsoft Windows "Vista Capable": Good for Booting Only

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Many computer makers have been marketing their computers as "Windows
    | Vista Capable." The trouble is your idea of a "capable" computer may
    | differ from that of manufacturers and Microsoft.
    `----

    http://www.mouseprint.org/?p=207

    0wning Vista from the boot

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Does it work on all the versions of Windows Vista?
    |
    | Nitin & Vipin: Yes, It should work with almost all Vista releases,
    | even localised ones, but it will need a little bit of fine tuning.
    | Most probably, it will support Vista Pack 1, but hey this is only
    | a guess.
    |
    | Have you released your code online?
    |
    | Nitin & Vipin: No, we haven't released the code for vbootkit, but
    | we have provided binaries to a few antivirus vendors.
    |
    | However, you can download previous versions of bootkit (which runs
    | on Windows 2000/XP/2003) from the our site. Even source code is
    | provided.
    `----

    http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/442

    WARNING!! There is windows in my.. BIOS!!!!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | From my laptop's Bios download page
    |
    | This BIOS is ONLY for use with Windows Vista. Please do not install this
    | BIOS for use with Windows XP, or other Windows versions.
    `----

    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...17#post2705017

  2. Re: [News] [Humour] Linux Software 'Pulls a Vista' on the MBR

    ____/ [H]omer on Tuesday 13 November 2007 06:00 : \____

    >> Inspired by XKCD: MBR Love Note

    > .----
    > | # Shawin Says:
    > | November 12th, 2007 at 4:11 am
    > |
    > | I saw this on boingboing. Now, if this gets on digg, I could bet
    > | that thousands of idiots will be f**kin up their comps.
    > |
    > | # Mafi Says:
    > | November 12th, 2007 at 7:07 am
    > |
    > | But in saying that, it’ll remove a large population of Digg,
    > | therefore giving the Internet their bandwidth back. Think of it as
    > | a blessing, moreso than a problem.
    > `----
    >
    > Especially if it got rid of Timmy and his merry band of stalkers.

    Digg added a feature a couple of days ago -- the one-click abuse
    report. 'kretik' (I think it's Hadron), carly (not sure if it's a flatfish
    nym), harlowmonkeys (that's Tim Smith), and flatfish (Gary Stewart) ought to
    be careful with their comment abuse (namely personal attacks). Almost all the
    comments they leave are personal attacks. If they don't get compensated for
    modding down and cursing systematically, then they are mantally deranged
    (which they are anyway).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Linux: most popular O/S, yet not most widespread

  3. Re: [News] [Humour] Linux Software 'Pulls a Vista' on the MBR

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ [H]omer on Tuesday 13 November 2007 06:00 : \____

    >>> Inspired by XKCD: MBR Love Note

    >> .----
    >> | # Shawin Says:
    >> | November 12th, 2007 at 4:11 am
    >> |
    >> | I saw this on boingboing. Now, if this gets on digg, I could bet
    >> | that thousands of idiots will be f**kin up their comps.
    >> |
    >> | # Mafi Says:
    >> | November 12th, 2007 at 7:07 am
    >> |
    >> | But in saying that, it?ll remove a large population of Digg,
    >> | therefore giving the Internet their bandwidth back. Think of it as
    >> | a blessing, moreso than a problem.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> Especially if it got rid of Timmy and his merry band of stalkers.

    > Digg added a feature a couple of days ago -- the one-click abuse
    > report. 'kretik' (I think it's Hadron), carly (not sure if it's a flatfish
    > nym), harlowmonkeys (that's Tim Smith), and flatfish (Gary Stewart) ought to
    > be careful with their comment abuse (namely personal attacks). Almost all the
    > comments they leave are personal attacks. If they don't get compensated for
    > modding down and cursing systematically, then they are mantally deranged
    > (which they are anyway).

    In spite of what many people say, I cannot believe that they do this for
    free. Nobody could be that stupid.

  4. Re: [News] [Humour] Linux Software 'Pulls a Vista' on the MBR

    ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 13 November 2007 19:33 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ____/ [H]omer on Tuesday 13 November 2007 06:00 : \____

    >>> .----

    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> Especially if it got rid of Timmy and his merry band of stalkers.

    >> Digg added a feature a couple of days ago -- the one-click abuse
    >> report. 'kretik' (I think it's Hadron), carly (not sure if it's a flatfish
    >> nym), harlowmonkeys (that's Tim Smith), and flatfish (Gary Stewart) ought to
    >> be careful with their comment abuse (namely personal attacks). Almost all
    >> the comments they leave are personal attacks. If they don't get compensated
    >> for
    >> modding down and cursing systematically, then they are mantally deranged

    ^e
    >> (which they are anyway).
    >>

    > In spite of what many people say, I cannot believe that they do this for
    > free. Nobody could be that stupid.

    Another possibility is that their role in the ecosystem (family member/business
    relationship) makes this a matter of securing one's own pocket.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Watch your step, that soapbox is very slippery

  5. Re: [News] [Humour] Linux Software 'Pulls a Vista' on the MBR

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 13 November 2007 19:33 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> ____/ [H]omer on Tuesday 13 November 2007 06:00 : \____

    >>> Digg added a feature a couple of days ago -- the one-click abuse
    >>> report. 'kretik' (I think it's Hadron), carly (not sure if it's a flatfish
    >>> nym), harlowmonkeys (that's Tim Smith), and flatfish (Gary Stewart) ought to
    >>> be careful with their comment abuse (namely personal attacks). Almost all
    >>> the comments they leave are personal attacks. If they don't get compensated
    >>> for
    >>> modding down and cursing systematically, then they are mantally deranged

    > ^e
    >>> (which they are anyway).
    >>>

    >> In spite of what many people say, I cannot believe that they do this for
    >> free. Nobody could be that stupid.

    > Another possibility is that their role in the ecosystem (family member/business
    > relationship) makes this a matter of securing one's own pocket.

    Which comes back to the beginning - they make economic gain of some kind
    from it.

  6. Re: [News] [Humour] Linux Software 'Pulls a Vista' on the MBR

    ____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 14 November 2007 07:32 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 13 November 2007 19:33 : \____
    >>
    >>> Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    >> ^e
    >>>>

    >>> In spite of what many people say, I cannot believe that they do this for
    >>> free. Nobody could be that stupid.

    >> Another possibility is that their role in the ecosystem (family
    >> member/business relationship) makes this a matter of securing one's own
    >> pocket.
    >>

    > Which comes back to the beginning - they make economic gain of some kind
    > from it.

    Shillcosystem (on a national and personal level).

    "Microsoft has clearly entered a phase of self destructive behavior
    that began with the "tissue paper campaign" in 1995. This report will
    document this campaign for the first time."

    [...]

    "As with all pyramid schemes, it is important to get as close to tier
    1 as possible. From a practical standpoint, usually only tiers 1 and 2
    will derive significant long-term economic rewards from such schemes."

    http://reactor-core.org/microsoft-pyramid.html

    "Sadly, many of these brilliant people have been blinded by the stock
    price and unable to see that Microsoft is also the key architect of
    the greatest financial pyramid scheme this century.

    It is not uncommon for participants in pyramid schemes to lose their
    emotional bearings. My close friends who work at Microsoft are
    particularly upset over my work and it is possible that even Bill
    Gates and Steve Ballmer do not realize the implications of their
    financial practices."

    http://www.billparish.com/msftfraudfacts.html

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Vista: Windows XP with bling-bling, nothing else