[News] [Rival] Microsoft's XBox Mistaken Stataegy - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Microsoft's XBox Mistaken Stataegy - Linux ; Killing Off the Original Xbox: A Big Microsoft Mistake ,----[ Quote ] | Now Microsoft (MSFT) introduced the Xbox in November 2001 and deliberately | brought out their next machine, the 360, just four years later, in November | 2005, ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Microsoft's XBox Mistaken Stataegy

    Killing Off the Original Xbox: A Big Microsoft Mistake

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Now Microsoft (MSFT) introduced the Xbox in November 2001 and deliberately
    | brought out their next machine, the 360, just four years later, in November
    | 2005, so as to be first to market with the next generation. They kept the two
    | models as a range for just one year, killing off the original Xbox in
    | November 2006 when it was just five years old.
    `----

    http://seekingalpha.com/article/5361...e?source=yahoo
    http://tinyurl.com/2nphou

    Sony has meanwhile upgraded the PS2, which probably still outsells almost
    everything.

    Xbox 360 no longer grabs headlines. It has gotten another anti-feature (just
    like Vista), which is a parental control that enables disablement. *LOL*

    Related:

    Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against MS For Bricked 360s

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to Gamespot, the suit seeks a minimum of $10 million in
    | damages, depending on how MS decides to defend itself.
    `----

    http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/law/cla...60s-220250.php

    Loot: Redmond, We Have a Problem, Or, What's Wrong With the Xbox 360

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | At this point, Former becomes impassioned. That's not fair, he says;
    | we always saw this as a long-term venture. To which we reply that we
    | were talking about the original Xbox, and while other divisions of
    | the company throw off more profits in a single quarter than the
    | entire $5 billion or so lost in the home and entertainment division
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^
    | to date, the fact remains that, as we take-our-word-for-it predicted,
    | the Xbox group has been spectacularly unprofitable for Microsoft.
    | Hence, our heretofore unpublished Vietnam analogy. The rest of the
    | night is a blur, but we digress.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The worst case scenario for Microsoft, then, is one in which the Xbox
    | 360's bid for the mass market is blocked by the Wii for the next two to
    | three years, at which point the aging and underpowered Wii gives way
    | to a cheaper-than-it-is-now PS3 with a selection of AAA titles that's
    | far wider than what the PS3 has at the moment; new installments of
    | Playstation's own popular and casual-leaning games; and a slew of
    | new franchises from Sony's much-larger studio operation.
    `----

    http://ncroal.talk.newsweek.com/default.asp?item=533168

    Why Microsoft Must Come Clean About Xbox 360 Flaws

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It is all about trust. But trust is something that is earned over time, and
    | needs to be constantly re-earned through actions. Microsoft has breached the
    | trust of its single most important constituency, its customers, the effects
    | of which are only beginning to be felt. Come clean, Microsoft, because
    | confession is good for business. And it is also the best way of protecting
    | your brand and your customers. * *
    `----

    http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/07...9_id.html?.v=2

    Microsoft Admits *ALL* Xbox360's Are Defective

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Though Robbie Bach, head of Microsoft's Xbox360 Division refused to elaborate
    | on the issue, the general consensus is that it's one of botched thermal
    | design management and inadequate dissipation of heat leading to component
    | failure.
    `----

    http://www.fastsilicon.com/latest-ne...html?Itemid=60

    Insider Trading Hasn't Affect Microsoft Stock - Yet

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | MarketWatch.com reports that Robbie Bach, president of Microsoft's
    | Entertainment and Devices division, sold $6.2 million of Microsoft
    | stock just prior to announcing that Microsoft was going to have to
    | extend XBox 360 warranties to three years because of extensive
    | failures. The filings note that this was not part of any
    | scheduled diversification or selling program; this was a
    | conscious, unscheduled sale by the guy in charge of releasing
    | news that could affect the value of Microsoft stock.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Insider trading is a very serious violation of the law; just
    | ask Martha Stewart, who served five months in prison for
    | avoiding losses of $43,000 through trades that just had suspicious
    | timing (no insider trading was actually proven). This is $6.3
    | million that went straight into Robbie Bach's pocket.
    `----

    http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/07...7_id.html?.v=1

    Microsoft's past stock options practice poses questions

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft in 1999 announced that it would end a policy of awarding
    | options at monthly lows and said it would take a $217 million charge,
    | though many details of that discontinued practice haven't been widely
    | known, The Wall Street Journal said Friday.
    |
    | Those details raise questions about how Microsoft began the practice,
    | what prompted the company to end it and whether the way the options
    | were dated--at 30-day lows the month after they were
    | granted--influenced other companies, it said.
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6084617.html

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's XBox Mistaken Stataegy

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Killing Off the Original Xbox: A Big Microsoft Mistake
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Now Microsoft (MSFT) introduced the Xbox in November 2001 and deliberately
    >| brought out their next machine, the 360, just four years later, in November
    >| 2005, so as to be first to market with the next generation. They kept the two
    >| models as a range for just one year, killing off the original Xbox in
    >| November 2006 when it was just five years old.
    > `----
    >
    > http://seekingalpha.com/article/5361...e?source=yahoo
    > http://tinyurl.com/2nphou
    >
    > Sony has meanwhile upgraded the PS2, which probably still outsells almost
    > everything.
    >
    > Xbox 360 no longer grabs headlines. It has gotten another anti-feature (just
    > like Vista), which is a parental control that enables disablement. *LOL*

    The 360 is an also-ran, now.