Wal-Mart's Ultra-Efficient Linux PC Sells Out

,----[ Quote ]
| Well...after all the naysaying, it took about a week for Wal-Mart's $200
| green Linux PC to sell out of their online warehouses. Of course, it probably
| isn't selling quite that fast in stores.

$200 Everex gPC desktop featuring gOS proves to be popular

,----[ Quote ]
| That $200 Everex gPC that Walmart has been advertising has proven to be quite
| the hit in its online store, currently being out of stock but can still be
| picked up at select brick and mortar locations.

Wal-Mart Starts Selling Linux PCs for $198
* * * * * *
,----[ Quote ]
| Almost the Google PC: Everex gPC available at Wal-Mart
| On Thursday, WalMart begins selling the Everex Green gPC TC2502, a $198,
| low-power, Linux-based PC designed primarily for running Web 2.0
| applications.

Linux PC vendor to track pirate Windows installations

,----[ Quote ]
| Everex will know if you install a dodgy Microsoft OS
| [...]
| There, as part of a crackdown on infringing copies of Microsoft
| Windows, "regulatory agencies are checking to see that Linux actually works,"
| he said.
| Ubuntu founder Mark Shuttleworth added, "We can't tell the difference between
| an Ubuntu user who installed for themselves or one who used a system from an
| OEM."

Intensified Battle Lines

,----[ Quote ]
| Some years back Open Source Industry Australia (OSIA) spokesperson
| Steven D'Aprano had posed a most intriguing question, "If Microsoft
| has a problem with piracy, it shouldn't be blamed on OEMs who sell
| PCs with Linux pre-installed or no operating system at all. Should
| we discourage supermarkets from selling plain bread, because
| shoppers might steal butter from elsewhere?"
| [...]
| For long now a tag has been associated with Linux. Industry players
| and resellers say Linux has become a smart, official, cheap and
| convenient form of piracy. The charge, is however, outrightly
| rejected by the Linux vendors.
| At their end, open source vendors will not miss an opportunity to
| assert that anyone who has benefited out of piracy is the
| proprietary vendors, like Microsoft.
| [...]
| Partners are already moving close to Linux vendors for various
| reasons. The days to come will, therefore, offer interesting
| battle lines unfolding between MS and open source players.

I use GNU/Linux... and I am HAPPY with it!

,----[ Quote ]
| Two-three months back, there was a news in rediff.com which said that
| the biggest girls school in Kerala has changed the policy and they
| use GNU/Linux for teaching. Those small girls learning computer,
| learn GNU/Linux only and they find it very easy. As they have
| never used MS Windows, they are unbiased.

Microsoft Exec Admits That Company Benefits From Piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| Jeff Raikes, head of the company's business group, said at a
| recent investor conference that while the company is against
| piracy, if you are going to pirate software, it hopes you pirate
| Microsoft software. He cited the above reasoning, noting that
| users of pirated Microsoft software are likely to purchase from
| the company later on.

Chinese attitude on buying Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| I've mentioned above,the price of Vista is higher than RMB2000 (about
| USD257) may not shake users in developed countries, but do you know it
| is equal to the average monthly salary in China's economic center
| Shanghai!So please take this fact into consideration before
| criticize our behavior of buying pirate softwares.
| recent survey of public opinion from China's portal NetEase shows that 81%
| of netizens think Microsoft is forcing them to use pirate Vista...

Why Piracy Hurts Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| "...John looks at this from a different direction. He shows you why
| software piracy hurts Open Source software--the free stuff you are using."

Microsoft seals its Windows and opens the door to Linux

,----[ Quote ]