Perception of Free/Libre Software

,----[ Quote ]
| In my recent public speeches I focused on one value of Free Software:
| business ethics within digital society. In short, my argument is that since
| the society has changed to an economy of information, those that write
| software have the power to control information and therefore control society.

Gobuntu isn't necessarily the way to go.

What makes Gobuntu different from gNewSense

,----[ Quote ]
| On the negative side, Gobuntu uses, like every other official derivative of
| Ubuntu, the Launchpad platform. This web application is released under a
| proprietary license. Promoting Free Software in such circumstances looks
| hypocritical. In his defense, Mark Shuttleworth is aware of this paradox.

Gobuntu: A Truly Free Linux Distro or a Free Drivers Experiment?

,----[ Quote ]
| "It has nothing whatsoever to do with Freedom," argues one of Gobuntu’s
| contributors.

Willing to buy a high-end, free-software-only laptop?

,----[ Quote ]
| To that end I’d like to build up a list of people who are interested in this
| idea, and would potentially buy a high-powered laptop if it were guaranteed
| to work completely with free software drivers and OpenBIOS. *

Gobuntu is… go

,----[ Quote ]
| Thanks to Colin and Evan’s efforts we now have daily images of a
| freedom-focused flavour of Ubuntu, “Gobuntu”.

Ubuntu's Gibbon gets free

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu's October release code-named "Gutsy Gibbon" will be available
| in a new, free flavour, its founder Mark Shuttleworth said today.
| [...]
| In an e-mail to Ubuntu developers, Shuttleworth said: "work will be done in
| collaboration with the folks behind gNewsense". gNewsense is a Linux
| distribution backed by the Free Software Foundation that removes all
| non-free material from Ubuntu.

gNewSense KDE 1.1 Screenshots 1024x768px

Press Release 20070122 - gNewSense 1.1 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| I am pleased to announce the 1.1 release of the gNewSense
| distribution and tools.

gNewSense KDE 1.1 Screenshots 1024x768px

GNewSense 1.0 Screenshot Walkthrough

,----[ Quote ]
| The Free Software Foundation has announced the inaugural stable
| release of gNewSense, an Ubuntu-based distribution, modified to
| include Free Software only...

gNewSense joins list of FSF-approved distros

,----[ Quote ]
| However, gNewSense is also an important step toward its long-range
| goal of persuading manufacturers to produce computers that run
| completely free software, from the operating system and drivers
| down to the BIOS. Buoyed by both the release of gNewSense and the
| plans to use the LinuxBIOS in the One Laptop Per Child project,
| Brown says, "We believe we're getting there slowly but surely.
| We're getting to the point where maybe in 12 months we're going
| to have those computers."

From freedom to slavery; a week of two distros

,----[ Quote ]