Gnome desktop preferences - Linux

This is a discussion on Gnome desktop preferences - Linux ; The Gnome reference says that there is a place where I can configure File Types and Programs and that I can do that from the Applications -> Desktop Preferences -> Advanced -> File types and Programs menu. I do not ...

  1. Gnome desktop preferences

    The Gnome reference says that there is a place where I can configure
    File Types and Programs and that I can do that from the Applications ->
    Desktop Preferences -> Advanced -> File types and Programs menu. I do
    not see any Advanced sub-menu beneath the Applications -> Preferences
    submenu. I see a More Preferences submenu beneath Applications ->
    Preferences but there is no File types and Programs entry in that
    submenu. Is there a way to access this on my system ?

  2. Re: Gnome desktop preferences

    The File Manager is in System > Preferences > File Manager

    or

    Applications > System Tools > File Browser

    or

    Applications > System Tools > Configuration Edito

    -
    Doc - Ubuntu Bug Reporte

    [image: http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/IconUbuntu.png]
    # Proud User of Ubuntu Breezy 5.10
    # Ubuntu Bug Reporter
    # 'Registered Linux User # 387328' (http://counter.li.org/
    Doc's Profile: http:/linuxcult.com/forum/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=709
    View this thread: http://linuxcult.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=899

  3. Re: Gnome desktop preferences

    Doc wrote:
    > The File Manager is in System > Preferences > File Manager
    >
    > or
    >
    > Applications > System Tools > File Browser
    >
    > or
    >
    > Applications > System Tools > Configuration Editor

    I am not looing for the File Manager but rather for the File Types and
    Programs desktop preference.

  4. Re: Gnome desktop preferences

    On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 20:43:59 +0000, Edward Diener wrote:

    > The Gnome reference says that there is a place where I can configure
    > File Types and Programs and that I can do that from the Applications ->
    > Desktop Preferences -> Advanced -> File types and Programs menu. I do
    > not see any Advanced sub-menu beneath the Applications -> Preferences
    > submenu. I see a More Preferences submenu beneath Applications ->
    > Preferences but there is no File types and Programs entry in that
    > submenu. Is there a way to access this on my system ?

    Is this a Gnome 2 desktop? I don't have that option either in my (Gentoo
    Linux) Gnome 2 menus. Perhaps your documentation is for a prior version,
    or distribution-specific.

    If you want to choose which web browser/mail reader/text editor/terminal
    to use, that can be set in the "Preferred Applications" tool.

    To change the associated program for a given file type, try right clicking
    a file and selecting "properties". In that dialog, on the "Open With" tab,
    you can set the list of applications used to open files of that type.

    Cheers,
    Minderbinder.

  5. Re: Gnome desktop preferences

    Minderbinder wrote:
    > On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 20:43:59 +0000, Edward Diener wrote:
    >

    >>The Gnome reference says that there is a place where I can configure
    >>File Types and Programs and that I can do that from the Applications ->
    >>Desktop Preferences -> Advanced -> File types and Programs menu. I do
    >>not see any Advanced sub-menu beneath the Applications -> Preferences
    >>submenu. I see a More Preferences submenu beneath Applications ->
    >>Preferences but there is no File types and Programs entry in that
    >>submenu. Is there a way to access this on my system ?

    > Is this a Gnome 2 desktop?

    Yes.

    > I don't have that option either in my (Gentoo
    > Linux) Gnome 2 menus. Perhaps your documentation is for a prior version,
    > or distribution-specific.

    The doc is for a prior version, Gnome 2.6. Why would Gnome remove a
    useful feature going from Gnome 2.6 to Gnome 2.8 ? Also, of course, I do
    not understand why my Gnome 2,8 desktop comes with documentation for the
    previous version.

    > If you want to choose which web browser/mail reader/text editor/terminal
    > to use, that can be set in the "Preferred Applications" tool.

    No, that is not what I want.

    > To change the associated program for a given file type, try right clicking
    > a file and selecting "properties". In that dialog, on the "Open With" tab,
    > you can set the list of applications used to open files of that type.

    I need to pass a command line option when I open the file type with an
    application. While I can choose the application the way you have
    specified, there is no way to pass a command line option to it in this
    method.

  6. Re: Gnome desktop preferences

    Minderbinder wrote:
    > On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 20:43:59 +0000, Edward Diener wrote:
    >

    >>The Gnome reference says that there is a place where I can configure
    >>File Types and Programs and that I can do that from the Applications ->
    >>Desktop Preferences -> Advanced -> File types and Programs menu. I do
    >>not see any Advanced sub-menu beneath the Applications -> Preferences
    >>submenu. I see a More Preferences submenu beneath Applications ->
    >>Preferences but there is no File types and Programs entry in that
    >>submenu. Is there a way to access this on my system ?

    > Is this a Gnome 2 desktop? I don't have that option either in my (Gentoo
    > Linux) Gnome 2 menus. Perhaps your documentation is for a prior version,
    > or distribution-specific.

    As an addendum to my reply, the Gnome 2.8 User Guide, which I downloaded
    separately, also says that the "File types and programs" desktop
    preference is at "Applications->Desktop Preferences->Advanced->File
    types and programs". At least you have confirmed for me that I am not
    the only one who has Gnome 2 and does not have that option in their
    menu. I am still wondering why not if it is described in the
    documentation. Maybe the documentation is just plain wrong and no such
    feature ever existed.

  7. Re: Gnome desktop preferences

    Spake Edward Diener:
    > The Gnome reference says that there is a place where I can configure
    > File Types and Programs and that I can do that from the Applications ->
    > Desktop Preferences -> Advanced -> File types and Programs menu. I do
    > not see any Advanced sub-menu beneath the Applications -> Preferences
    > submenu. I see a More Preferences submenu beneath Applications ->
    > Preferences but there is no File types and Programs entry in that
    > submenu. Is there a way to access this on my system ?

    This file-association preference has been removed in GNOME 2.8.

    To change the associations of a particular file type, you must now

    - find a file of that type (using the Nautilus file manager).
    - right-click on it and choose "Properties".
    - select the "Open With" tab (I think)
    - add / remove / edit launchers for that file type.

    If you find that a little tedious and aren't afraid of config files,
    you can manually override launcher by writing files to ~/.local/share/
    applications. An example is outlined here:
    http://twb.ath.cx/wiki/MyWritings.xhtml#sec11

+ Reply to Thread