[News] Novell Clinging on to 'Precious' GNU/Linux IP - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Novell Clinging on to 'Precious' GNU/Linux IP - Linux ; Why is there no Open Source SLES ? ,----[ Quote ] | One of them is that the SLES community is much smaller and more aimed at | proprietary software. Novell itself is promoting Mixed Source and promotes | its ...

  1. [News] Novell Clinging on to 'Precious' GNU/Linux IP

    Why is there no Open Source SLES ?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | One of them is that the SLES community is much smaller and more aimed at
    | proprietary software. Novell itself is promoting Mixed Source and promotes
    | its own proprietary software on top of SLES (also see OES). This obviously
    | scares part of the community away. The deal with Microsoft obviously does as
    | well. As a result Novell is big within Enterprises with little community
    | people, and these are not the kind of people that would spend their free time
    | rebuilding packages and do QA.
    |
    | Another reason is that Novell is not in favor of such a project (even though
    | people from within Novell _and_ people in the SLES community disagree with
    | management) because it fears it will take away some of the profit and Novell
    | made a big risk by taking the Linux route, they cannot afford to make it
    | fail.
    `----

    http://dag.wieers.com/blog/content/w...en-source-sles

    Speaking of Waltham and IPR sellouts:

    University, Waltham license holder say they own technology

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Though Google was incorporated in 1998, Belanger said he and Baclawski had no
    | idea the company might be infringing the patent, until about 2 1/2 years ago.
    `----

    http://www.boston.com/business/techn...e_over_patent/

    Related:

    Is it Microsoft + Novell or Microsoft vs. Novell?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Actually, this is very surprising. I've started to notice a trend in all the
    | announcements the two companies have made over the past year: Novell stresses
    | interoperability while Microsoft beats its drum on patent protection.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | I wonder how long Microsoft will continue its efforts to try to cast the deal
    | as about IP. It's not for Novell, it seems to me now. Microsoft did the deal
    | to hurt Linux - there's no other explanation for it. It has no fiduciary duty
    | to enable a competitor (unless its a weaker competitor against the Linux
    | market leader, Red Hat). It has a fiduciary duty to kill that competitor.
    `----

    http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9...bj=TheOpenRoad

    Novell uses Microsoft FUD to market itself

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | [Allison: ] "Yes, that's true, actually. I mean I have had people come
    | up to me and essentially off the record admit that they had been
    | threatened by Microsoft and had got patent cross license and had
    | essentially taken out a license for Microsoft patents on the free
    | software that they were using [...] But they're not telling anyone
    | about it. They're completely doing it off the record."
    `----

    http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/07/02/11/1443211.shtml

    Novell: 'No One Can Stop Us From Selling Linux'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It was reported that those changes would preclude the inclusion of Linux in
    | third party distribution deals such as the one Novell recently signed with
    | Microsoft and "ban" Novell from selling future versions of Linux.
    `----

    http://www.informationweek.com/story...SSfeed_IWK_All

  2. Re: [News] Novell Clinging on to 'Precious' GNU/Linux IP

    ____/ [H]omer on Monday 12 November 2007 09:03 : \____

    > I know, I tried once. Then one day I asked myself "Why am I
    > doing this? I get nothing for my efforts, not even attribution"

    ....Then you have Mac and Windows troll who come here to astroturf on behalf of
    multi-billion-dollar corporations. There's no way they do this for nothing and
    that's the major between Gnu/Linux advocacy and, well... [A]stroturfing.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: Falsity implies anything
    Swap: 1510068k total, 358592k used, 1151476k free, 91988k cached

  3. Re: [News] Novell Clinging on to 'Precious' GNU/Linux IP

    [H]omer espoused:

    >> http://dag.wieers.com/blog/content/w...en-source-sles

    > Dag is a independent packager for Fedora and other distros, but I
    > haven't heard about him in a while. I didn't even know he /had/ a blog.
    > Oh well, good to know he's still alive anyway
    >
    > Re: the topic in question. Expecting a community of /voluntary/
    > /contributors/ to evolve around /any/ proprietary product is a bit
    > unrealistic (I know, I tried once. Then one day I asked myself "Why am I
    > doing this? I get nothing for my efforts, not even attribution"), so I
    > gave up. But with SLES in particular, you're talking about a company
    > that is a) about as popular as SCO with some people, and b) considered
    > untrustworthy by the same people - WRT their packages - since one cannot
    > be sure what Microsoft IP may have tainted it.
    >
    > There are far too many other, more worthy projects out there for people
    > to spend their time on, than wasting it with Novell, or any of the other
    > Monkey-club distros. By the community for the community is one thing,
    > but by the community for some corporate Microsoft bum-boy, is quite
    > another. Frankly, I'm surprised Dag even needs to ask.

    It's quite interesting that Apple have always been reasonably successful
    at getting people to support their platform with open-source ports, just
    as there are very many open-source ports to Microsoft Windows, too.

    Personally, I'd prefer to see all the effort going into the free
    platforms, and let the proprietary ones be served by proprietary
    interests, but that won't happen in a hurry.

  4. Re: [News] Novell Clinging on to 'Precious' GNU/Linux IP

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    I REALLY, reallyloved this one...

    > Novell: 'No One Can Stop Us From Selling Linux'
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | It was reported that those changes would preclude the inclusion of Linux
    > | in third party distribution deals such as the one Novell recently signed
    > | with Microsoft and "ban" Novell from selling future versions of Linux.
    > `----

    http://www.informationweek.com/story...SSfeed_IWK_All

    I can stop them quite easily... I refuse to buy it... so does a lot of other
    people too. If you can't sell a product, you go broke. Adios Novell...
    sorry you kissed the hand of death...

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

+ Reply to Thread