Google's Latest Efforts Test the Open Waters

,----[ Quote ]
| In the span of just two weeks, Google has launched two major open source
| efforts with a ragtag group of partners, both without any obvious or
| immediate payoff for Google itself.
`----

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/news...11/google_open

Columbia Law Professor Tim Wu: Opening the Airwaves

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Co...ves-60258.html

Seems like an investment in some freedom.

Related:

Google Summer of Code

,----[ Quote ]
| Accepted student applications for Google Summer of Code have been
| announced! We accepted over 900 student applicants from a pool of
| nearly 6,200 applications.
`----

http://code.google.com/soc/#a

Google Launches "Google Developer Day"

,----[ Quote ]
| The intention behind Google Developer Day sounds somewhat similar to "Hack
| Day" -- an annual one day gathering that rival Yahoo has been hosting in
| its Sunnyvale, California abode inviting software developers to get
| together and experiment with Yahoo applications.
`----

http://www.sda-asia.com/sda/news/pse...Singapore.html
http://tinyurl.com/2vhyu3

(Google) Speaking of Summer

,----[ Quote ]
| Google Summer of CodeTM 2007 is on! Last year, Google funded over
| 600 students in 93 countries to work with 100 open source groups.
| We're extremely happy to announce that we'll be holding Google
| Summer of Code again this year.
`----

http://google-code-updates.blogspot....of-summer.html

Google spending hundreds of millions on mobile

,----[ Quote ]
| Anian, a Reuters company that tracks industry trends for institutional
| investors, reported last month that Google had engaged Taiwan's High Tech
| Computer Corpto design a Linux
| software-based phone for launch in the first quarter of 2008. Â*
`----

http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/...yID=nN02242073

Google Makes Its Entry Into the Wireless World

,----[ Quote ]
| Google took its long-awaited plunge into the wireless world today, announcing
| that it is leading a broad industry alliance to transform mobile phones into
| powerful mobile computers that could accelerate the convergence of computing
| and communications.
|
| [...]
|
| “They may be delivering one component that is free,” he said. “You have to
| ask the question, what additional costs come with commercializing that? I can
| tell you that there are a bunch of phones based on Linux today, and I don’t
| think anyone would tell you it’s free.”
|
| [...]
|
| Mr. Rubin, who is 44 years old and is a veteran Silicon Valley designer, said
| the software system that Google has designed is based on the Linux operating
| system and Sun Microsystems’ Java language. It is designed so programmers can
| easily build applications that connect to independent Web services.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/05/te...hp&oref=slogin

OFFICIAL: Google debuts Open Handset Alliance

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.electronista.com/articles...bile.official/