Wireless in Linux needs HELP - Linux

This is a discussion on Wireless in Linux needs HELP - Linux ; I hope to see Wireless in Linux get a major boost soon - I really want to get away from Windows XP SP2 for my clients but they resist because wireless in XP kicks Linux butt. Ease of use in ...

  1. Wireless in Linux needs HELP

    I hope to see Wireless in Linux get a major boost soon - I really want to
    get away from Windows XP SP2 for my clients but they resist because wireless
    in XP kicks Linux butt. Ease of use in WPA and WEP is a must. Please do
    not make it a religious war, but a wish for Linux. Thanks.

  2. Re: Wireless in Linux needs HELP

    Ubuntu and half of the other distros do support WPA and WEP.

    The only thing that they don't support is Wireless G USB's, I have on
    myself and Ubuntu doesn't support it at all. Now if you have a Wireles
    B Card then yes they will take that. :

    -
    Doc - Ubuntu Bug Reporte

    [image: http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/IconUbuntu.png]
    # Proud User of Ubuntu Breezy 5.10
    # Ubuntu Bug Reporter
    # 'Registered Linux User # 387328' (http://counter.li.org/
    Doc's Profile: http:/linuxcult.com/forum/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=709
    View this thread: http://linuxcult.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=899

  3. Re: Wireless in Linux needs HELP

    "=) Joe (=" wrote in message
    newsad8e.1585$JJ2.1218@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...
    >I hope to see Wireless in Linux get a major boost soon - I really want to
    >get away from Windows XP SP2 for my clients but they resist because
    >wireless in XP kicks Linux butt. Ease of use in WPA and WEP is a must.
    >Please do not make it a religious war, but a wish for Linux. Thanks.

    I have to disagree with your

    >wireless in XP kicks Linux butt

    That , I am afraid is pure nonsense. You simply have to know what kit to
    buy.

    d.

  4. Re: Wireless in Linux needs HELP

    =) Joe (= wrote:

    > I hope to see Wireless in Linux get a major boost soon - I really want to
    > get away from Windows XP SP2 for my clients but they resist because
    > wireless
    > in XP kicks Linux butt. Ease of use in WPA and WEP is a must. Please do
    > not make it a religious war, but a wish for Linux. Thanks.

    Many wi-fi manufacturers are now releasing the details of their Windows
    drivers, so they are getting Linux support. I've had no problems with
    802.11g under Mandrake with US Robotics components. WPA and WEP are both
    supported. No problems.

    Chris

    --
    Everything gets easier with practice, except getting up in the morning!

  5. Product Internals

    In the thread "Wireless in Linux needs HELP", Trent Buck stated:

    > - write to hardware manufacturers asking them to publish
    > information about the internals of their products.

    I fully understand why companies would want to gain an advantage by
    releasing their hardware products with features that improve on the
    competition. I do not understand why a large majority of these
    companies wish to hide the details of how to interface with their product.

    Certainly these companies write their own interface for their target
    (e.g. Microsoft Windows, Macintosh) but why not release the details so
    that other developers can quickly and easily write software for the
    unsupported target (e.g. legacy machines, Linux).

    In doing so,the product can potentially be used by a larger customer
    base which would then increase sales, which of course would increase
    profit. Or perhaps my understanding of business disallows me to see the
    reasons why.

    Would someone with the proper business sense (meaning I don't want
    anyone's 2 cents - I'd like facts) please explain the reasoning for
    companies not to release details of how to interface with their
    product's internals?

  6. Re: Wireless in Linux needs HELP

    Trent Buck wrote:
    > You don't have to say "if only my vendor would do such-and-such". You
    > can say "Bob, I really want such-and-such. What can I do to help you
    > deliver it?"

    One thing I try to do is avoid buying parts or PC's containing parts
    from vendors like Broadcomm who have no intention of even releasing
    binaries for their drivers. If you're considering a Dell laptop, and
    have a choice between the Dell 1300 (or whatever the ABG card is) and
    the intel 2200 or 2900, I suggest going the Intel route.

  7. Re: Product Internals

    Clinton V. Weiss wrote:

    > Would someone with the proper business sense (meaning I don't want
    > anyone's 2 cents - I'd like facts) please explain the reasoning for
    > companies not to release details of how to interface with their
    > product's internals?

    I had the misfortune to work for a company that had this bizarre attitude (I
    don't any more), and their reasoning went something like this:

    " We've written Windows software and drivers for out hardware. It's cost us
    a lot of money to write, and then Microshaft charged us an even larger
    amount of money for "certification" so that Windows dosn't warn about
    "unsigned drivers".

    Our customers want our products to work "as if by magic", and are not
    interested in "how it works" (which was patently untrue - they were selling
    very technical products to engineers), which is why we won't publish any
    details of our APIs. The predominant "operating system" in our user base
    is Windows, so that's all we'll support. "

    The predominant OS in the user base was actually Unix, but they didn't
    recognise that - they were a marketing-led company, which made the
    higher-ups utterly clueless - they've since gone out of business, and their
    "proprietary" softawre has been lost long ago.

    Chris

    --
    Everything gets easier with practice, except getting up in the morning!

  8. Re: Wireless in Linux needs HELP

    my friends (in europe) run whole cities, based on linux wless )

    i'm using it now, got problems with the drivers, vendors don't bothe
    to publish them for linux, but there is a program (forgot a name) tha
    if u stuck u can use windows based drivers on linux...
    just make sure you check what you buying!!!! i bought the wron
    stuff...(based on chip acx111) some of them don't support whol
    encryption

    -
    [pl]ic
    [pl]ice's Profile: http:/linuxcult.com/forum/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1641
    View this thread: http://linuxcult.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=899

  9. Re: Wireless in Linux needs HELP

    > I hope to see Wireless in Linux get a major boost soon - I really want
    > to get away from Windows XP SP2 for my clients but they resist because
    > wireless in XP kicks Linux butt. Ease of use in WPA and WEP is a must.
    > Please do not make it a religious war, but a wish for Linux. Thanks.

    How does wireless in XP kick butt? I have to disable it's wireless zero
    feature just to get it to work with a static IP. Which doesn't prevent it
    from forgetting that it has a wireless network card on occassion. And
    then prompting to use DHCP when I've told it 1,000 times to use a static
    IP. And then there's the whole changing the MTU setting thing.

    I moved my mom to linux because she was calling me every half hour
    complaining about XP. Having auto-updates hogging 95% of your dialup
    bandwidth is really annoying. Especially when they don't even install,
    unless you use the IE auto-update feature. Maybe it's just a Walmart/HP
    software bundling thing. But I've spent far less time installing linux
    from scratch over dialup than trying to get XP to play nice.

    Shadow_7

  10. Re: Wireless in Linux needs HELP

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 09:25:32 -0400, [ pl] ice wrote:

    > my friends (in europe) run whole cities, based on linux wless )
    >
    > i'm using it now, got problems with the drivers, vendors don't bother to
    > publish them for linux, but there is a program (forgot a name) that if u
    > stuck u can use windows based drivers on linux...

    The name is NdisWrapper (http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/).

  11. Re: Wireless in Linux needs HELP

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 00:05:54 +0200, rex wrote:

    > "=) Joe (=" wrote in message
    > newsad8e.1585$JJ2.1218@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...
    >>I hope to see Wireless in Linux get a major boost soon - I really want to
    >>get away from Windows XP SP2 for my clients but they resist because
    >>wireless in XP kicks Linux butt. Ease of use in WPA and WEP is a must.
    >>Please do not make it a religious war, but a wish for Linux. Thanks.

    > I have to disagree with your
    >
    >>wireless in XP kicks Linux butt

    > That , I am afraid is pure nonsense. You simply have to know what kit to
    > buy.
    >
    > d.

    I use ndiswrapper - works like a charm for my linksys/broadcom wireless-g
    card. wep-ing like a madman.

    very easy, very happy.

  12. Re: Wireless in Linux needs HELP

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:28:56 -0400, kr0m3 wrote:

    > there isn't anything in the world about wireless that is 'better' in
    > WinXP, if by better you mean 'more functional'... however if by 'better'
    > you mean 'easier'...well then yes...WinXp IS better.

    My Dell Precision with a Netgear wireless card in it was on the network
    after install without a reboot. I can't say the same for XP.

    If you're going to run an OS you have to buy hardware that works with that
    OS. That should be common sense by now.

    --
    "Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed."
    Benjamin Franklin (I didn't know he was a Buddhist)

  13. Re: Wireless in Linux needs HELP

    MrSpiffy wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 00:05:54 +0200, rex wrote:
    >

    >>"=) Joe (=" wrote in message
    >>newsad8e.1585$JJ2.1218@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...
    >>
    >>>I hope to see Wireless in Linux get a major boost soon - I really want to
    >>>get away from Windows XP SP2 for my clients but they resist because
    >>>wireless in XP kicks Linux butt. Ease of use in WPA and WEP is a must.
    >>>Please do not make it a religious war, but a wish for Linux. Thanks.

    >>I have to disagree with your
    >>

    >>>wireless in XP kicks Linux butt

    >>That , I am afraid is pure nonsense. You simply have to know what kit to
    >>buy.
    >>
    >>d.

    > I use ndiswrapper - works like a charm for my linksys/broadcom wireless-g
    > card. wep-ing like a madman.
    >
    > very easy, very happy.

    I really like RedHat But i use xandros for my laptops and wireless G
    connects Xandros is the best Desktop O.S Wireless Config is very easy
    I use a Net Gear wg511t card.

    F.Y.I Chris

+ Reply to Thread