The Open Graphics Development Board

,----[ Quote ]
| Additional details are available on the Traversal Technology Product Page.
`----

http://wiki.opengraphics.org/tiki-index.php?page=OGD1

Mentioned yesterday:

Project VGA

,----[ Quote ]
| Home of the Low Budget, Open Source, VGA Compatible video card
`----

http://www.wacco.mveas.com/projectvga.php

Related:

First Open Graphics board appears

,----[ Quote ]
| This project is on the basis that a GPU should not end up with
| tons of propriatary software or hardware, containing hidden
| problems that aren't mentioned to the press, and yet cause
| nervous breakdowns for developers worldwide.
`----

Interview: Timothy Miller, Open Graphics Project

,----[ Quote ]
| The OGP grew rapidly after I first started it, and it's continued to
| grow gradually since then. Now, we have Traversal Technology and also
| the Open Hardware Foundation that's dedicated to the non-profit,
| community, and democratic aspects of the project. Our mailing list has
| over 500 members, including well-known Linux kernel hackers, 3D graphics
| experts, college professors, representatives of many other open
| source projects, hardware designers, and people who want to become
| hardware designers.
`----

http://linuxgazette.net/130/ruecker.html

Evolving from Larvae To Bug Lab: The Rise of Open Source Hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| Before Bug Labs can disrupt an industry it has to develop into a final
| product. And for now Semmelhack presses forward inspired by a quote from
| Steve Jobs, founder of Apple Inc. "the journey is the reward," Semmelhack
| repeated. "If you are unhappy with something in your life, make a change.
| That's how Bug Labs got born," said Semmelhack. * *
`----

http://www.digidave.org/adventures_i...ng-from-l.html

Linux-powered Finnish firewalls add IPv6

,----[ Quote ]
| A security appliance vendor based in Linux-creator Linus Torvalds's birth
| city has promised to add IPv6 support to its extensive line of Linux-based
| security appliances. *
`----

Open source hardware comes out of closet

,----[ Quote ]
| EVER SINCE open-source software created a buzz, people have stroked chins,
| pondered and pontificated about the possibility of open-source hardware – and
| now it’s becoming a reality. *
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ardware-coming

The Future of Hardware is Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Hardware is the future of technology, and all we need to kick off this
| next great revolution in technology is to have the right tools in the right *
| place at the right time. *After that, the sky’s the limit! *
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=315

Open Source Hardware: Birth Of A Long Tail Market?

,----[ Quote ]
| And when there is unrestricted collaboration, nearly anything is possible.
| Buglabs, the open source hardware movement and other yet-to-be discovered
| frontiers have the same opportunity here. *
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osr...le.php/3700366

Do we need an open hardware license?

,----[ Quote ]
| Still, Hicks says that it's possible to use open source hardware designs with
| field-programmable gate arrays, "which are quite affordable," and points to
| OpenSPARC and the OPENCORES community of open hardware designers as examples
| of real-world usage of open hardware. *
|
| Phipps says that he sees open hardware following in the footsteps of FOSS,
| though he says mainstreaming of open hardware "will take much longer ... to
| get a foothold." *
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/118198

Perens set to tackle open-source hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| On Monday, Perens plans to announce the TAPR Open Hardware
| License, a document written by John Ackerman designed
| specifically to govern hardware designs that can be
| modified and redistrubuted. Perens plans to submit the
| license to the Open Source Initiative for its as an
| open-source license.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10795_3-615...0-20&subj=news
http://tinyurl.com/2noydh

Boot Linux Faster With An Open BIOS

| Another interesting approach involves using Linux itself to initialize the
| hardware. The LinuxBIOS takes the approach of loading a small Linux kernel
| directly into the boot ROM. This approach is increasingly practical now that
| boards have 1-2MB of flash ROM onboard, according to Seebach. *
`----

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/kni...h-an-open-bios

First desktop motherboard supported by LinuxBIOS: GIGABYTE M57SLI-S4

,----[ Quote ]
| The GIGABYTE M57SLI-S4 [1] is the first-ever desktop motherboard
| supported by a Free & Open Source BIOS, thanks to AMD engineer
| Yinghai Lu who released GPL-licensed code last month.
`----

http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermai...02.2/2347.html

LinuxBIOS: The Forgotten Hero

,----[ Quote ]
| This begs the question: is anyone currently using LinuxBIOS on
| their machines? You bet they are. According to one recent report,
| LinuxBIOS was installed on about one million machines and that
| existing number is expected to rise significantly, assuming the
| rate of growth remains constant.
`----

http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=7694

Google Sponsors the LinuxBIOS project

,----[ Quote ]
| The LinuxBIOS project aims to take down the last barrier in Open
| Source systems by providing a free firmware (BIOS) implementation.
`----

http://addict3d.org/index.php?page=v...=news&ID=31343

LinuxBIOS ready to go mainstream

,----[ Quote ]