[News] GNU/Linux Devices Are Everywhere, Make Fine Gifts Also - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] GNU/Linux Devices Are Everywhere, Make Fine Gifts Also - Linux ; Top-10 gift ideas for the Linux Gadget Geek ,----[ Quote ] | Got a Linux Gadget Geek on your shopping list? You can't fail with a gift | from this guide to the ten hottest Linux-powered devices gleaned from | ...

  1. [News] GNU/Linux Devices Are Everywhere, Make Fine Gifts Also

    Top-10 gift ideas for the Linux Gadget Geek

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Got a Linux Gadget Geek on your shopping list? You can't fail with a gift
    | from this guide to the ten hottest Linux-powered devices gleaned from
    | LinuxDevices.com's news throughout 2007. There's something for everyone, at
    | prices from $150 to $1,000, organized from least to most expensive. Enjoy!
    `----

    Microsoft has already tried the $3 Windows card (last resort) against GNU/Linux
    in embedded devices, but it failed miserably. That was back in 2004. Only 4-6%
    of the (smart)phones run a Windows. Virtually every supercomputer runs
    GNU/Linux (virtualised or not).

    Related:

    Linux loyalty runs high among embedded software developers, says VDC

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Looking ahead, 87% percent of Linux users plan to use Linux in their next
    | project. In both cases, use of free distributions outnumbered use of paid
    | distributions by a sizable margin.
    `----

    http://software.tekrati.com/research/9436/

    Linux to grow 278% in embedded/mobile/real-time apps

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Linux use in "next" embedded, mobile, and real-time projects will grow 278
    | percent over that in "previous" projects, suggests a recent survey by Venture
    | Development Corp. (VDC). *
    `----

    Where does Linux go from here?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Linux and free software are here to stay. No single commercial firm will ever
    | control the Linux ecosystem like Microsoft has the rest of the software
    | industry. Though both may prosper, the bazaar will outlive the boardrooms,
    | and Linux popularity will continue to grow on servers, desktops, appliances,
    | and embedded devices.
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/119865s

  2. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Devices Are Everywhere, Make Fine Gifts Also

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Top-10 gift ideas for the Linux Gadget Geek
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Got a Linux Gadget Geek on your shopping list? You can't fail with a gift
    >| from this guide to the ten hottest Linux-powered devices gleaned from
    >| LinuxDevices.com's news throughout 2007. There's something for everyone, at
    >| prices from $150 to $1,000, organized from least to most expensive. Enjoy!
    > `----

    > Microsoft has already tried the $3 Windows card (last resort) against GNU/Linux
    > in embedded devices, but it failed miserably. That was back in 2004. Only 4-6%
    > of the (smart)phones run a Windows. Virtually every supercomputer runs
    > GNU/Linux (virtualised or not).

    The list is quite good, but is missing an Archos media player and a GP2X
    F200 (with touch-screen).

  3. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Devices Are Everywhere, Make Fine Gifts Also

    ____/ Mark Kent on Sunday 11 November 2007 11:14 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> Top-10 gift ideas for the Linux Gadget Geek
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Got a Linux Gadget Geek on your shopping list? You can't fail with a gift
    >>| from this guide to the ten hottest Linux-powered devices gleaned from
    >>| LinuxDevices.com's news throughout 2007. There's something for everyone, at
    >>| prices from $150 to $1,000, organized from least to most expensive. Enjoy!
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS5936183381.html
    >>
    >> Microsoft has already tried the $3 Windows card (last resort) against
    >> GNU/Linux in embedded devices, but it failed miserably. That was back in
    >> 2004. Only 4-6% of the (smart)phones run a Windows. Virtually every
    >> supercomputer runs GNU/Linux (virtualised or not).
    >>

    > The list is quite good, but is missing an Archos media player and a GP2X
    > F200 (with touch-screen).

    The site is like a catalogue of many hundreds or thousands of GNU/Linux
    devices. Choosing just 10 is hard.

    "If you optimize everything, you'll never be happy."

    --Don Knuth.
    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Open syntax, Open API's, Open Source
    13:05:01 up 11 days, 17:16, 3 users, load average: 0.87, 1.05, 0.97

  4. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Devices Are Everywhere, Make Fine Gifts Also

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Sunday 11 November 2007 11:14 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> Top-10 gift ideas for the Linux Gadget Geek
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS5936183381.html
    >>>
    >>> Microsoft has already tried the $3 Windows card (last resort) against
    >>> GNU/Linux in embedded devices, but it failed miserably. That was back in
    >>> 2004. Only 4-6% of the (smart)phones run a Windows. Virtually every
    >>> supercomputer runs GNU/Linux (virtualised or not).
    >>>

    >> The list is quite good, but is missing an Archos media player and a GP2X
    >> F200 (with touch-screen).

    > The site is like a catalogue of many hundreds or thousands of GNU/Linux
    > devices. Choosing just 10 is hard.
    >
    > "If you optimize everything, you'll never be happy."

    Yeah... I was adding two of my favourites. I like the look of the desk
    alarm clock thingy, though.

  5. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Devices Are Everywhere, Make Fine Gifts Also

    On Sun, 2007-11-11 at 01:07 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Top-10 gift ideas for the Linux Gadget Geek
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Got a Linux Gadget Geek on your shopping list? You can't fail with a gift
    > | from this guide to the ten hottest Linux-powered devices gleaned from
    > | LinuxDevices.com's news throughout 2007. There's something for everyone, at
    > | prices from $150 to $1,000, organized from least to most expensive. Enjoy!
    > `----

    LOL...

    "Linux-powered prophylactic protects Vista PC -- The Yoggie Pico is a
    Linux-powered, USB-interfaced firewall squished into a thumb drive-sized
    package. The device can be found online for $150 or less. "